Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content

Old May 6, 14, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Ex Plat, DL Dropout from Skymiles 2015

Anyone notice how especially in the last month or two bloggers are starting to run out of content? Given that they've lost a good amount of CC affiliates and the lack of great opportunities (due to either being killed by too many in the pot or just lack in general), I believe the travel blogging business model is starting to reach maturity and we will see a decline shortly. Just today you can see prime examples- the best thing DP can come up with is talking about the 'improved' font on the delta page and his new CC with a chip, and the other highlights include detailing dumpings in Seattle.

It will be interesting to see a few years out who is still pumping out daily posts and trying to make a business out of it.
Old May 6, 14, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Was the content all that much better when the posts were about CCs??
Old May 6, 14, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Was the content all that much better when the posts were about CCs??
I should clarify- most bloggers are running out of content. I've always found your blog to be interesting and consistent. Thank you!

And I agree, it's so funny to see how hard bloggers try to twist the same cc offer into yet another article now. And with less affiliate links to push, that's even less content to rotate.
Old May 6, 14, 6:17 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by 100orBust View Post
Anyone notice how especially in the last month or two bloggers are starting to run out of content? Given that they've lost a good amount of CC affiliates and the lack of great opportunities (due to either being killed by too many in the pot or just lack in general), I believe the travel blogging business model is starting to reach maturity and we will see a decline shortly. Just today you can see prime examples- the best thing DP can come up with is talking about the 'improved' font on the delta page and his new CC with a chip, and the other highlights include detailing dumpings in Seattle.

It will be interesting to see a few years out who is still pumping out daily posts and trying to make a business out of it.
starting? And yet more bloggers continue being added. Though it's not just BA, but first2board and others in the miles/points blog world. I think the bubble will burst before too long.

I do actually like decent reviews of dining, activities, hotels, etc...at least, beyond reviews of the same worldwide chain hotels and such. A few of the BA blogs do well with that, though not most since that's not their aim. But perhaps they should consider broadening their horizons.

DP struggled with real content and quality writing even before losing several CCs to pump...fonts and AMEX chip aren't going to go very far!
Old May 6, 14, 10:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

BA and F2B are just a small subset niche of the travel blogging world - I attended TBEX last year and there were over 1200 travel bloggers and maybe 5 miles/points bloggers there. At Women in Travel a few hundred women travel bloggers - there are many great travel content bloggers out there doing reviews of hotels, food, destinations and tours- they just aren't on the miles/points blogs much IMO (there are a few but that's not my understanding of the goal of either) it's been interesting not to read 5 BA bloggers all with the same post on credit cards -it was silly to see what was driving the inspirational posts each day - money over needs of readers?
Old May 7, 14, 1:32 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
It'll be interesting to see how many blogs remain as the affiliate feeding frenzy dies down.

Travel blogs are great for daydreaming but trip advisor is far more detailed and practical. So are trip reports on FT.

The question is whether folks would still do blogs if they don't get paid for them...or get paid far less.
Old May 7, 14, 3:56 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
DP blog has become virtually garbage. Although his "fireside chats" probably won't run out anytime soon given that Randy has gone full quantity over quality...

Perhaps if the bloggers realized they don't need to post EVERY DAY, their pages would regain some of their lost quality
Old May 7, 14, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota View Post
DP blog has become virtually garbage. Although his "fireside chats" probably won't run out anytime soon given that Randy has gone full quantity over quality...

Perhaps if the bloggers realized they don't need to post EVERY DAY, their pages would regain some of their lost quality

Yea, his blog is getting pretty rough. A full post on changed font is the worst I've seen so far. I almost feel bad for him- then I remember he's the one who blocks comments or edits comments to praise himself.
Old May 7, 14, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
It'll be interesting to see how many blogs remain as the affiliate feeding frenzy dies down.

Travel blogs are great for daydreaming but trip advisor is far more detailed and practical. So are trip reports on FT.

The question is whether folks would still do blogs if they don't get paid for them...or get paid far less.
Completely agree. I do enjoy trip reports from bloggers when they are not the same hotels though (PH Maldives, etc). I'm guessing blogs will start to die off and posts will become maybe once a week for some who were the biggest cc pushers.
Old May 7, 14, 8:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Let keep personal comments on how bloggers dress and talk out of the discussion. Just had to delete one comment that contributed absolutely nothing to the topic.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR
Old May 7, 14, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl View Post
BA and F2B are just a small subset niche of the travel blogging world...
They're points, deals or financial services bloggers, not travel bloggers. Just look at the content. Very little of it is actually about traveling.
Old May 7, 14, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by 100orBust View Post
Yea, his blog is getting pretty rough. A full post on changed font is the worst I've seen so far. I almost feel bad for him- then I remember he's the one who blocks comments or edits comments to praise himself.
And he's having a feeding frenzy promoting OMAT's Kickstarter campaign
Old May 7, 14, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
4 OT personal comments and response thereto deleted. Anyone who wants to get personal can take it outside.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Old May 8, 14, 5:59 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
They're points, deals or financial services bloggers, not travel bloggers. Just look at the content. Very little of it is actually about traveling.
In fact a recent theme in response to the move toward revenue based mileage earning and status has been that BIS is for suckers. Do points bloggers even have non-comped elite status anymore, or is most of their travel awards earned on cc points?
Old May 8, 14, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY-Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Do points bloggers even have non-comped elite status anymore, or is most of their travel awards earned on cc points?
Yes and No, in reply to your two questions.

Search this Thread