FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1574889-ba-bloggers-starting-run-out-content.html)

100orBust May 6, 2014 1:19 pm

BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content

Anyone notice how especially in the last month or two bloggers are starting to run out of content? Given that they've lost a good amount of CC affiliates and the lack of great opportunities (due to either being killed by too many in the pot or just lack in general), I believe the travel blogging business model is starting to reach maturity and we will see a decline shortly. Just today you can see prime examples- the best thing DP can come up with is talking about the 'improved' font on the delta page and his new CC with a chip, and the other highlights include detailing dumpings in Seattle.

It will be interesting to see a few years out who is still pumping out daily posts and trying to make a business out of it.

sbm12 May 6, 2014 3:24 pm

Was the content all that much better when the posts were about CCs?? ;)

100orBust May 6, 2014 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 22821042)
Was the content all that much better when the posts were about CCs?? ;)

I should clarify- most bloggers are running out of content. I've always found your blog to be interesting and consistent. Thank you!^

And I agree, it's so funny to see how hard bloggers try to twist the same cc offer into yet another article now. And with less affiliate links to push, that's even less content to rotate.

84fiero May 6, 2014 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by 100orBust (Post 22820311)
Anyone notice how especially in the last month or two bloggers are starting to run out of content? Given that they've lost a good amount of CC affiliates and the lack of great opportunities (due to either being killed by too many in the pot or just lack in general), I believe the travel blogging business model is starting to reach maturity and we will see a decline shortly. Just today you can see prime examples- the best thing DP can come up with is talking about the 'improved' font on the delta page and his new CC with a chip, and the other highlights include detailing dumpings in Seattle.

It will be interesting to see a few years out who is still pumping out daily posts and trying to make a business out of it.

starting? ;) And yet more bloggers continue being added. Though it's not just BA, but first2board and others in the miles/points blog world. I think the bubble will burst before too long.

I do actually like decent reviews of dining, activities, hotels, etc...at least, beyond reviews of the same worldwide chain hotels and such. A few of the BA blogs do well with that, though not most since that's not their aim. But perhaps they should consider broadening their horizons.

DP struggled with real content and quality writing even before losing several CCs to pump...fonts and AMEX chip aren't going to go very far!

Philatravelgirl May 6, 2014 10:22 pm

BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content

BA and F2B are just a small subset niche of the travel blogging world - I attended TBEX last year and there were over 1200 travel bloggers and maybe 5 miles/points bloggers there. At Women in Travel a few hundred women travel bloggers - there are many great travel content bloggers out there doing reviews of hotels, food, destinations and tours- they just aren't on the miles/points blogs much IMO (there are a few but that's not my understanding of the goal of either) it's been interesting not to read 5 BA bloggers all with the same post on credit cards -it was silly to see what was driving the inspirational posts each day - money over needs of readers?

kokonutz May 7, 2014 1:32 am

It'll be interesting to see how many blogs remain as the affiliate feeding frenzy dies down.

Travel blogs are great for daydreaming but trip advisor is far more detailed and practical. So are trip reports on FT.

The question is whether folks would still do blogs if they don't get paid for them...or get paid far less.

RFDMinnesota May 7, 2014 3:56 am

DP blog has become virtually garbage. Although his "fireside chats" probably won't run out anytime soon given that Randy has gone full quantity over quality...

Perhaps if the bloggers realized they don't need to post EVERY DAY, their pages would regain some of their lost quality

100orBust May 7, 2014 6:03 am

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota (Post 22823613)
DP blog has become virtually garbage. Although his "fireside chats" probably won't run out anytime soon given that Randy has gone full quantity over quality...

Perhaps if the bloggers realized they don't need to post EVERY DAY, their pages would regain some of their lost quality

Yea, his blog is getting pretty rough. A full post on changed font is the worst I've seen so far. I almost feel bad for him- then I remember he's the one who blocks comments or edits comments to praise himself. :confused:

100orBust May 7, 2014 6:05 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 22823322)
It'll be interesting to see how many blogs remain as the affiliate feeding frenzy dies down.

Travel blogs are great for daydreaming but trip advisor is far more detailed and practical. So are trip reports on FT.

The question is whether folks would still do blogs if they don't get paid for them...or get paid far less.

Completely agree. I do enjoy trip reports from bloggers when they are not the same hotels though (PH Maldives, etc). I'm guessing blogs will start to die off and posts will become maybe once a week for some who were the biggest cc pushers.

oliver2002 May 7, 2014 8:59 am

Let keep personal comments on how bloggers dress and talk out of the discussion. Just had to delete one comment that contributed absolutely nothing to the topic.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR

sbm12 May 7, 2014 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl (Post 22822843)
BA and F2B are just a small subset niche of the travel blogging world...

They're points, deals or financial services bloggers, not travel bloggers. Just look at the content. Very little of it is actually about traveling.

itsaboutthejourney May 7, 2014 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by 100orBust (Post 22823896)
Yea, his blog is getting pretty rough. A full post on changed font is the worst I've seen so far. I almost feel bad for him- then I remember he's the one who blocks comments or edits comments to praise himself. :confused:

And he's having a feeding frenzy promoting OMAT's Kickstarter campaign :rolleyes:

oliver2002 May 7, 2014 11:17 pm

4 OT personal comments and response thereto deleted. Anyone who wants to get personal can take it outside.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum

kokonutz May 8, 2014 5:59 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 22826786)
They're points, deals or financial services bloggers, not travel bloggers. Just look at the content. Very little of it is actually about traveling.

In fact a recent theme in response to the move toward revenue based mileage earning and status has been that BIS is for suckers. Do points bloggers even have non-comped elite status anymore, or is most of their travel awards earned on cc points?

Markie May 8, 2014 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 22830226)
Do points bloggers even have non-comped elite status anymore, or is most of their travel awards earned on cc points?

Yes and No, in reply to your two questions.