BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Hmm....this can be a new FT game. End the sentence with the word that best describes the aforementioned blogs....

The word is BORING.
I had a stronger word in mind than boring, hence the trailing off, but "boring" works as well.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:30 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by cruisr
Hmm....this can be a new FT game. End the sentence with the word that best describes the aforementioned blogs....

The word is BORING.
To me, it seems like many bloggers are simply using blog entries as what used to be their contribution to FlyerTalk. For example, a few that I saw gave their take on the United catering changes announcement. In the past their opinion on the matter would have made for a single entry on the thread about it in the United forum...maybe. Now it's a blog post instead.

I'm sure that caters to a certain audience...folks who get only get their airline news from bloggers or just a single blog, for example.

Tommy just pointed out to me on the face book that 'last week BA had over 100K unique visitors EVERY SINGLE DAY'.

Is that a lot? I honestly don't know.

Assuming it is, I guess volume, volume, volume is working. ^
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Tommy just pointed out to me on the face book that 'last week BA had over 100K unique visitors EVERY SINGLE DAY'.

Is that a lot? I honestly don't know.

Assuming it is, I guess volume, volume, volume is working. ^
100k daily uniques? https://www.quantcast.com/boardingarea.com
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Hm. That's weird. I don't think he'd just make that number up. Perhaps that linked stat just refers to landing page views vs views of the individual BA blogs?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
100k page views per day. Page views is what pays to run the show for the host (4 ads per page which each pay for every display). CC revenue is not shared with BA.

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/781/9843602540.png
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:15 pm

VFTW had quite the posting run this weekend.

Saturday June 28:
The Card You Want to Have Which Offers to Most Targeted Bonuses

Why Do Credit Card Companies Waive Foreign Transaction Fees?

50% Off British Airways Redemptions, No Fly List Unconstitutional, and Forced Luxury Vacations
News and notes from around the interweb

Union Representing Employees of American’s Pilots Union Considers Striking

Sunday June 29:
United Announces the Elimination of Garlic Bread and Ketchup

How Internet Gets Installed on a Plane

Why Do Some Credit Card Companies Give Signup Bonuses Over and Over for the Same Card?

Up to 40% Off a Hotel Booking Today Only

LAST DAY: 50,000 Point Southwest Visa Signup Bonus

Gosh and already three more today:

Monday June 30:
Last Chance: Final Day for Several Great Credit Card Bonuses

British Airways 50% Off Redemption Sale Now Live

KLM’s Offensive World Cup Tweet (and What the REAL Outrage Is)

12 posts in 3 days.

5 of which are about credit cards.
Just curious why FT is against referral links in signatures, but is okay with bloggers using that space to advertise their content which you've pretty much summed up as referral links.

I have to wonder if Gary is not planning to get out of the game like FTG. He seems to be plumping up his numbers. The more posts with deceptive titles = more clicks and traffic to his page, but the fool me once.. fool me twice model would tell me as a reader you trick me with this stuff multiple times I am less likely to come back, read your content, and sign-up with your links.

These posts might be coming from an intern or paid employee.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
100k page views per day. Page views is what pays to run the show for the host (4 ads per page which each pay for every display). CC revenue is not shared with BA.

What's the difference between "uniques" and "page views"?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Uniques are how many unique visitors came to your site. Views are how many different pages were viewed. So if I visit your site and go to five different pages, I'd count as one unique and five page views.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Just curious why FT is against referral links in signatures, but is okay with bloggers using that space to advertise their content which you've pretty much summed up as referral links.

I have to wonder if Gary is not planning to get out of the game like FTG. He seems to be plumping up his numbers. The more posts with deceptive titles = more clicks and traffic to his page, but the fool me once.. fool me twice model would tell me as a reader you trick me with this stuff multiple times I am less likely to come back, read your content, and sign-up with your links.

These posts might be coming from an intern or paid employee.
My first thought was: he must be bored this weekend.

Then looking at the calendar my second thought was maybe he has a quota of a) page views and/or b) cc sign ups that he has to meet each month, and like a cop setting up a speed trap at the end of the month, this was the play.

Either way, the pace does seem unsustainable without seriously affecting quality.

Ah, so Tommy wasn't making that number up...he was just confused between uniques and page views?

Which is the number he and Randy really care about anyway?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The more people visit the site, look at different pages (presumably the ads too), linger on each page etc defines how much revenue comes in on a monthly basis and how much the BA.com brand is worth. Content is rather secondary to that
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:23 am

The more people visit the site, look at different pages (presumably the ads too), linger on each page etc defines how much revenue comes in on a monthly basis and how much the BA.com brand is worth. Content is rather secondary to that
So do you suppose that, of their ventures, BA is worth more than MP?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:59 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
So do you suppose that, of their ventures, BA is worth more than MP?
Assuming the CPM contract rate is similar, whichever has the larger number of pageviews is worth more. BA would be worth more. They are adding more bloggers to BA to increase the worth, as the MP forum is not gaining readership
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by ingy
Assuming the CPM contract rate is similar, whichever has the larger number of pageviews is worth more. BA would be worth more. They are adding more bloggers to BA to increase the worth, as the MP forum is not gaining readership
I wonder if they are ramping up bloggers (along with blog post runs) because they want to put it on the market? Got any thoughts on that as someone who sold a blog site?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:24 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I wonder if they are ramping up bloggers (along with blog post runs) because they want to put it on the market? Got any thoughts on that as someone who sold a blog site?
My site was not driven or value determined on a CPM model and I don't have any inside information on what their motives may be. It could be as simple as a desire to have BA stay a larger site than ThePointsGuy site is all on its own. Now there is a guy that is really adding readers, growth, influence in the market and a straight up hill climb chart. Take a look at those two sites for a comparison. And remember one is compensated on pageviews and the other on accepted applications. Brian has the strongest business model out there without question.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Just spotted on Facebook that Boarding Area has some sort of spin-off as of today -- Prior2Boarding (http://prior2boarding.com/). Looks to now have some of the bloggers that were once on BA as well as some new ones. Anyone know the inside story here? Just another landing page or a different focus somehow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.