Wiki Posts
Search

BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 12:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Raffles
That is why it won't end.

Revenue reward charts will kill the credit card game and the airlines need those cards.

Only an idiot would get a credit card earning 1 mile per dollar (when it is worth exactly 0.5 cents of free flight) instead of a 2 per cent cashback card.
There's a lot of inertia in the public's preferences. But you have a valid point that is even wider:

If airlines devalue their points much further, customers will abandon cards that earn miles. The airlines will prevent this by increasing the earning rate, as BA has already done (1.25 miles per dollar).

The real end of the bloggers' game will be when banks tire of handing out valuable signup bonuses. I have no idea when that will be or why.

Special off-topic bonus for reading this post: One of the 4 Amex Daily Getaway offers did not sell out this morning. See this post for details on how to get 21k Rapid Rewards points for 1.43 cents each.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:19 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by nsx
There's a lot of inertia in the public's preferences. But you have a valid point that is even wider:

If airlines devalue their points much further, customers will abandon cards that earn miles. The airlines will prevent this by increasing the earning rate, as BA has already done (1.25 miles per dollar).

The real end of the bloggers' game will be when banks tire of handing out valuable signup bonuses. I have no idea when that will be or why.

Special off-topic bonus for reading this post: One of the 4 Amex Daily Getaway offers did not sell out this morning. See this post for details on how to get 21k Rapid Rewards points for 1.43 cents each.
Some cards are already switching from 'once a year' limits on sign up bonuses to 'once a lifetime' bonuses.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Even Gary's been reduced to throwing videos from the movie Up in the Air on his blog: http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...y-morning-air/

Slim pickins out there in points and miles land, apparently.

I actually enjoyed that post. Watched both videos... thought it was awesome.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Some cards are already switching from 'once a year' limits on sign up bonuses to 'once a lifetime' bonuses.
Yes, but the real switch will be when those limits are actually enforced.

Then there will be the question of enforcement of the ban on bonus for applicants who have received a "similar offer". This will creep up on us and we will rely on FT and bloggers to tell us what to expect vs. what the rules say.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by HadesNL
to delve into additional material, i believe Bloggers should review different Y products across star alliance / skyteam / oneworld / non aligned. Make comparisons about long vs short haul. Try to compare the product with LCC or no frills. Ordinary people also fly economy. They should provide a more levelheaded allround appeal.

As other have mentioned i am getting a bit overdosed with "fabulous to churn cc - must fly carrier F " mantras...... As i am from NL i find funny though how much they can get away with cc referals without the readers being turned off by (info-)mercials
Many of us are turned off by it! But there are enough newbies waiting in the wings, apparently, to keep it going...for now at least.

Also a few have had the "full" signup bonus not paid out until a spending threshold is met in the second year as well.

In some cases the once per lifetime would be more palatable if the card had good category bonuses or periodic targeted offers (e.g., spend $1,000 in the next 3 months for X bonus miles). Some are better with that than others.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
That is why it won't end.

Revenue reward charts will kill the credit card game and the airlines need those cards.

Only an idiot would get a credit card earning 1 mile per dollar (when it is worth exactly 0.5 cents of free flight) instead of a 2 per cent cashback card.
Agreed. The airlines are just devaluing here and there to see what ratios bring them the most money, but would they effectively kill their relationships with the big banks? I can't imagine that.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Also a few have had the "full" signup bonus not paid out until a spending threshold is met in the second year as well.
I've only seen this with Citi, and their ThankYou program is a joke anyway.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by HadesNL
to delve into additional material, i believe Bloggers should review different Y products across star alliance / skyteam / oneworld / non aligned. Make comparisons about long vs short haul. Try to compare the product with LCC or no frills. Ordinary people also fly economy. They should provide a more levelheaded allround appeal.

As other have mentioned i am getting a bit overdosed with "fabulous to churn cc - must fly carrier F " mantras...... As i am from NL i find funny though how much they can get away with cc referals without the readers being turned off by (info-)mercials
I fly economy most of the time (in hopes of upgrades). I agree, ordinary people do fly economy.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:36 pm

If I see one more expose on the tilt of business class seats ...
Old May 22, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
It's easy to be excited to sit in an angle-flat seat 'second tier' airline....when the alternative is to be in coach on a 'second tier' airline!!!
Old May 24, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
This was funny^

I review blogs and there is a crazy race now to make sure their blogs are not the ones who gets dropped.

Psssst, did you hear the Chase Ink cards for 60k are ending June 1st? And they now get transferred to Singapore Airlines? And those transfers can happen fast? And on and on and on to oblivion...
Old May 25, 2014, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by gpapadop
This was funny^

I review blogs and there is a crazy race now to make sure their blogs are not the ones who gets dropped.

Psssst, did you hear the Chase Ink cards for 60k are ending June 1st? And they now get transferred to Singapore Airlines? And those transfers can happen fast? And on and on and on to oblivion...
This post seems off. It should look like this:

This was funny^

CLICK MY AMAZON LINK<------------!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I review blogs...

Psssst, did you hear

Now that looks about right!
Old May 25, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Delta Points
This post seems off. It should look like this:

This was funny^

I review blogs...

Psssst, did you hear

Now that looks about right!
...says the blogger who was dropped by AMEX (the card-issuer for the very airline that the blog is focused on) and also by Chase
Old May 25, 2014, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Ex Plat, DL Dropout from Skymiles 2015
Originally Posted by 84fiero
...says the blogger who was dropped by AMEX (the card-issuer for the very airline that the blog is focused on) and also by Chase
That's why I'm a big believer in karma- DP chose to be unethical via stealing deals, alter comments to praise himself, and treat others pretty poorly. Now it's come back to bite him!

DP, why don't you have another amazingly insightful post about how you use amenity kit socks to polish your shoes....
Old May 25, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by 100orBust
That's why I'm a big believer in karma- DP chose to be unethical via stealing deals, alter comments to praise himself, and treat others pretty poorly. Now it's come back to bite him!

DP, why don't you have another amazingly insightful post about how you use amenity kit socks to polish your shoes....
+1. Karma's a ...... Cutting and pasting a list of nominees for a blogging award to eliminate TravelBloggerBuzz was not cool either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.