Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content

BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content

Old Oct 10, 14, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Let me see if I can explain this without messing it up - Boarding Area has two separate sites - Boarding Area and Prior2Boarding.

Point Princess is on P2B. I am too.

P2B is where we less seasoned bloggers go and we all get equal posting time/priority (ie the top of on the page is always the last person to post)

BA has two categories of bloggers - featured and non-featured. The featured folks (like Gary, Ben, Summer) all have substantial followings and a solid stand-alone presence. Bloggers can get promoted from P2B to BA non-featured and from there to BA featured based on growing their own individual blog and readership.

On BA, the highest position on the page where a non-featured blog post can "start" is the fifth bucket and that's the only one "above the fold" (ie before you scroll - those first five bigger spots). That's why some of you may perceive you see certain bloggers more often - you DO see them at the top more often.

To give others a chance to catch that readership, each non-featured BA gets two weeks on a rotating schedule to be featured (which I believe only happens every 12 months - maybe less often even) and every P2B blogger gets a week also on a rotating schedule. So you will see usually two normally non-featured bloggers in that mix on any given week.

As Point Princess said, it was "her week" so she was trying to maximize her time - the hope for all of us is that you stumble across our blog, like it, and decide to follow us (RSS feed, bookmark, email list, social media, all of the above) so that we grow our readership out of that featured time before our time in the spotlight disappears.

When we aren't featured, for the P2B folks the only way you'll find us (if you aren't following us individually) is at P2B itself or I those four "in case you missed it" links on BA (which are the last hour posts on P2B) - the same is true on P2B (our ICYMI are the last four BA posts). For the non-featured BA folks you just have to scroll a bit.

Incidentally, Point Princess has had a LOT of good posts this week while featured - she has totally inspired me to plan a trip to Korea soon! Most of us try to post as much as we can in a featured week to maximize our time (I know I did) and then hope and pray you liked us enough to follow us so our readership numbers grow!

By the way... there is no edict that blogs hosted on BA or P2B be "points and miles" oriented. Mine is not, and Randy knew it wouldn't be when I brought the proposal to him. There is a lot of room for diversification on the BA/P2B sites and a Randy has welcomed that from several of us.who are not miles/points bloggers. It seems to be only the group here on FT who seems to have a problem with that expansion which makes me kind of sad.
Old Oct 10, 14, 6:46 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in COROLLA, NORTH CAROLINA
Thanks for the explanation.

And don't be sad!
Old Oct 10, 14, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Thanks for the explanation.

And don't be sad!

I echo this
Old Oct 10, 14, 9:58 pm

Thanks for the explanation!

Originally Posted by techgirl View Post
Let me see if I can explain this without messing it up - Boarding Area has two separate sites - Boarding Area and Prior2Boarding.

[...]There is a lot of room for diversification on the BA/P2B sites and a Randy has welcomed that from several of us.who are not miles/points bloggers. It seems to be only the group here on FT who seems to have a problem with that expansion which makes me kind of sad.

Last edited by oliver2002; Oct 13, 14 at 6:04 am Reason: reduced size of quote
Old Oct 11, 14, 3:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It seems to be only the group here on FT who seems to have a problem with that expansion which makes me kind of sad.
I think if you look at the comments... most will be that there's so much fluff content and just repetitions about what has been posted previously more than anything else.
And that is something to be sad about.
Old Oct 11, 14, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
This is definitely a "vote with your clicks/eyeballs" situation. There is a lot of space and time spent here and elsewhere devoted to complaining what certain bloggers are (or are not) posting about... but you guys are still clicking and reading. And that's a lot of what matters when it comes to sustaining a blog.

Meantime there actually have been several comments in recent months about how certain blogs/bloggers don't belong at BA (or how certain posts are irrelevant) because they aren't points/miles focused.

Some of us are trying to expand the range of what's there - but we are competing for clicks/eyeballs/RSS subscriptions/trackbacks with the same things everyone focuses on hating (or it seems like "love to hate" since the clicks and eyeballs there just keep growing and growing).

If I disagree with someone's blogging practices (or don't like their content), I don't reward them with my clicks. I don't keep reading them, drawing attention to them by reposting their links or discussing excerpts from the content I dislike, rewarding them with ad revenue from my visits, or anything else that encourages them numbers-wise. I just stop reading and seek out, repost, and subscribe to content I do like so I can keep encouraging those bloggers to post more of the same!
Old Oct 11, 14, 12:13 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
By the way... there is no edict that blogs hosted on BA or P2B be "points and miles" oriented. Mine is not, and Randy knew it wouldn't be when I brought the proposal to him. There is a lot of room for diversification on the BA/P2B sites and a Randy has welcomed that from several of us.who are not miles/points bloggers. It seems to be only the group here on FT who seems to have a problem with that expansion which makes me kind of sad.
I'm not sure who all you're referring to specifically, perhaps my post above is one. However it's not the FT members posting on this forum, but veteran BA bloggers who have foot-stomped BA's main focus on miles & points vice general travel (this is only one example that I could readily recall, not the only one) So perhaps not everyone within the BA family is on the same sheet of music as to the mission focus. In which case I'm not sure how the rest of us would be expected to think otherwise.

I believe you're the first BA blogger who has posted here that there was/is any initiative within BA to diversify beyond merely miles focused travel writing. If so that's great! I think the majority of comments here have been disappointed with the lack of diversity.

Thanks for the explanation above.
Old Oct 11, 14, 7:39 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Great explanation, thank you so much!

[...]By the way... there is no edict that blogs hosted on BA or P2B be "points and miles" oriented. Mine is not, and Randy knew it wouldn't be when I brought the proposal to him. There is a lot of room for diversification on the BA/P2B sites and a Randy has welcomed that from several of us.who are not miles/points bloggers. It seems to be only the group here on FT who seems to have a problem with that expansion which makes me kind of sad.

Last edited by oliver2002; Oct 13, 14 at 6:05 am Reason: reduced size of quote
Old Oct 12, 14, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
I'm not sure who all you're referring to specifically, perhaps my post above is one. However it's not the FT members posting on this forum, but veteran BA bloggers who have foot-stomped BA's main focus on miles & points vice general travel (this is only one example that I could readily recall, not the only one) So perhaps not everyone within the BA family is on the same sheet of music as to the mission focus. In which case I'm not sure how the rest of us would be expected to think otherwise.
My content there mostly isn't on that topic either. I was simply speaking to the historical focus, not suggesting that I have any idea what the future holds.
Old Oct 13, 14, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is no edict ... makes me kind of sad.
First phrase raised my interest in your prose.

Second phrase dashed that interest.

Good luck and safe travels...always.
Old Oct 13, 14, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fully understand. Idioms drive some batty.

I am also prone to use of regional colloquialisms although I tend to never write out "fixing to". "Bless your heart", on the other hand, gets used appropriately!
Old Oct 15, 14, 2:12 pm

I predict that no less than 8 BA blogs will repeat this story:

Cadillac Test Drive Rewards Live: 7500 American Miles for a Test Drive!

I also predict that none of the 8+ bloggers will add any extra commentary other than if they will personally do a test drive and that at least one blogger will run a 5 part trip report on his test drive (ya know since it is miles related).
Old Oct 20, 14, 2:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
If they care about their readers they will. It's an easy way to get a surprisingly decent amount of miles.
Old Oct 20, 14, 7:21 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in COROLLA, NORTH CAROLINA

Aaaah. THAT's what 'roadside assistance' means and is for.

Thanks, Frequent Flyer expert Gary Leff!!!! ^
Old Oct 20, 14, 8:06 pm

I feel soooo guilty by association......

Search this Thread