Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content

BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content

Old Sep 26, 14, 1:09 pm
  #211  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in TIVAT, MONTENEGRO
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 55,039
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Nope. Well, an RSS reader app would get you headlines and content and skip most of the ads, but nothing if you visit the site natively.
Bummer. Apparently it doesn't dissuade everyone, but it sure drives me away.
kokonutz is offline  
Old Sep 26, 14, 2:11 pm
  #212  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SEA
Posts: 1,887
Sadly, readers are forced to live with it. I'm kind of shocked they haven't bothered to clean up some of the usability issues. Who did they hire for the re-design? My guess is it was an inside job. It wouldn't take a competent web designer/programmer more than a day to clean things up. Just add preview text to the second tier of boxes and add an icon to the third tier.
HikerT is offline  
Old Sep 26, 14, 5:01 pm
  #213  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 3,318
Originally Posted by HikerT View Post
Sadly, readers are forced to live with it. I'm kind of shocked they haven't bothered to clean up some of the usability issues. Who did they hire for the re-design? My guess is it was an inside job. It wouldn't take a competent web designer/programmer more than a day to clean things up. Just add preview text to the second tier of boxes and add an icon to the third tier.
The worst part about the redesign is they were pimping it out for weeks, even months before it happened.

Post after post: "redesign coming soon! all lives will be easier"

Redesign sucks and usability is down greatly IMO.
pricesquire is offline  
Old Sep 26, 14, 5:35 pm
  #214  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,210
Originally Posted by HikerT View Post
Who did they hire for the re-design? My guess is it was an inside job.
You're wrong.
Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
The worst part about the redesign is they were pimping it out for weeks, even months before it happened.

Post after post: "redesign coming soon! all lives will be easier"
There were two different efforts in play. Each of the individual blogs got a makeover. Separate from that was the front page work.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Sep 26, 14, 9:41 pm
  #215  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SEA
Posts: 1,887
If an outside job then I'd think they would have fixed some of the usability issues. Any reason why little has been done in that regard? Or is BA happy with the result?
HikerT is offline  
Old Sep 26, 14, 11:35 pm
  #216  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GRR, USA
Posts: 3,292
I'm not sure if each blog has had their facelift yet. I know when I came back, I was able to choose a more dynamic theme for the site than what BA used in the past. I think each site will 'upgrade' to more dynamic themes that are a bit nice than just the ones that look like google default blogs.
LufthansaFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 28, 14, 7:50 pm
  #217  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 2,935
Originally Posted by HikerT View Post
If an outside job then I'd think they would have fixed some of the usability issues. Any reason why little has been done in that regard? Or is BA happy with the result?
Maybe it is because the ad revenue is down? Sorry I could not resist this one
gpapadop is offline  
Old Sep 28, 14, 7:51 pm
  #218  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 2,935
BA even asking Chris Elliott to join, wow! This was a shocker. And I just don't get shocked easily anymore...

http://elliott.org/blog/join-boardin...log-network-2/
gpapadop is offline  
Old Oct 6, 14, 6:02 pm
  #219  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in TIVAT, MONTENEGRO
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 55,039
Originally Posted by HikerT View Post
If an outside job then I'd think they would have fixed some of the usability issues. Any reason why little has been done in that regard? Or is BA happy with the result?
The reason nothing has been done to fix it is because the owner apparently loves it:

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Minutes later, I began the ‘blog scan’ part of my day (made easier with the new front page of BoardingArea)
I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
kokonutz is offline  
Old Oct 10, 14, 3:52 pm
  #220  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 3,318
http://pointprincess.boardingarea.co...-aint-cracked/

Uh....

Confused.

She's "on" this week - what does that mean? I thought BA bloggers were rotated based on when they wrote articles, not "hey buddy, write some stuff this week because you're featured this week"

Also, I'm sure she's a nice person, so I'm not at all going after her character, but I don't think that 'piece' could be dripping with more ambivalence if it tried.

What makes this blogger qualified to be writing for BA?
pricesquire is offline  
Old Oct 10, 14, 4:01 pm
  #221  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,657
Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
http://pointprincess.boardingarea.co...-aint-cracked/

Uh....

Confused.

She's "on" this week - what does that mean? I thought BA bloggers were rotated based on when they wrote articles, not "hey buddy, write some stuff this week because you're featured this week"

Also, I'm sure she's a nice person, so I'm not at all going after her character, but I don't think that 'piece' could be dripping with more ambivalence if it tried.

What makes this blogger qualified to be writing for BA?
Interesting. Though I didn't take it to be so much ambivalent as sort of a moment where she is realizing what she really wanted to focus on, at least with the concluding sentence:

I am aiming to make Point Princess more of a travel blog, and less of a points and miles blog.
In which case, BA may not be the right home for her since it's mostly focused on miles and points specifically. She may find a better fit and exposure in some other venue with more actual travel focused content.
84fiero is online now  
Old Oct 10, 14, 4:12 pm
  #222  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 3,318
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Interesting. Though I didn't take it to be so much ambivalent as sort of a moment where she is realizing what she really wanted to focus on, at least with the concluding sentence:



In which case, BA may not be the right home for her since it's mostly focused on miles and points specifically. She may find a better fit and exposure in some other venue with more actual travel focused content.
I agree with you.

I guess what I'm getting at is: no wonder BA has so. many. bloggers. when they've gotten to the point their bloggers are sitting there musing about their 'options' instead of writing content.

This isn't an e-journal...
pricesquire is offline  
Old Oct 10, 14, 4:32 pm
  #223  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 86
on eJournals

Um...

blog
bläɡ/
noun
1.
a regularly updated website or web page, typically one run by an individual or small group, that is written in an informal or conversational style.

I'm just saying. It is basically an eJournal.
santina91 is offline  
Old Oct 10, 14, 4:50 pm
  #224  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in TIVAT, MONTENEGRO
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 55,039
Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
http://pointprincess.boardingarea.co...-aint-cracked/

Uh....

Confused.

She's "on" this week - what does that mean? I thought BA bloggers were rotated based on when they wrote articles, not "hey buddy, write some stuff this week because you're featured this week"

Also, I'm sure she's a nice person, so I'm not at all going after her character, but I don't think that 'piece' could be dripping with more ambivalence if it tried.

What makes this blogger qualified to be writing for BA?
Good for her! ^
kokonutz is offline  
Old Oct 10, 14, 4:59 pm
  #225  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 3,318
Never mind - much is lost in translation via text.

Again, nothing against her personally. Thank god someone is writing about - wait for it... - travel!

I just find it comical that BA basically said "you're in this week" and that's the post we get.

For those who are more in-the-know w/ BA's practices -- didn't realize this is how it worked -- I thought so long as you wrote, your pieces would get on the Main Page. No?
pricesquire is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread