Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Oh well, there go the surcharge-less BA tickets using US miles.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oh well, there go the surcharge-less BA tickets using US miles.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Oh, and as I pointed out elsewhere... US isn't part of the AA/BA/IB TATL JV. So there may be a good reason why they're not charging YQ.
Actually, US has been part of the TATL JV since April 3rd

Source: http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...ia-and-finnair
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I can tell you've never made a US partner award booking. Phone only for partner awards (no ability to do it online), and it's a PITA with US phone agents who are very uneven in training level and ability, and the only way you can do find out cost is go all the way through booking the award and either book it or hold it, which takes the award out of inventory (no guarantee that it returns if you let the hold expire or cancel the hold), and is kind of a slimey thing to do just to find out if there's YQ or not.

Anyways... I don't see that this "kills the deal". News Flash: US DM is on death row anyways. They'll kill it off soon enough and merge it to AAdvantage, with all the rules about published fare/no transiting certain zones. So why is it so bad that a bunch of folks get a chance to save some bucks when they fly BA F? What makes FTers more deserving of "the deal" than blog readers?

Oh, and as I pointed out elsewhere... US isn't part of the AA/BA/IB TATL JV. So there may be a good reason why they're not charging YQ.
Yes I have made US partner award bookings It's a PITA compared to others but how many people are (1) aware of BA YQ, (2) are seeking redemptions on BA metal, and (3) wouldn't otherwise think to try this route if they have Dividend Miles to burn? The point is, this isn't something that masses of poor 'ole blog readers need "help" on. And the folks for whom this is of interest should be bright enough to try this venue for their bookings if the so desire. Many other incidents like this are even more straightforward.

I never stated that FT readers deserve the deal more than blog readers.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:29 pm

I'm sure it has nothing to do with it being plastered all over FT. FT is a lot bigger than the majority of the blogs out there, if it gets posted to FT it's going to get posted to blogs.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
It would also make sense that Gary and Ben would know quickly about the lack of fuel surcharges on BA since they run award booking services and would fairly quickly recognize the advantage there. TPG, as far as I know, only pimps credit cards and does not make money elsewhere.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by calwatch
It would also make sense that Gary and Ben would know quickly about the lack of fuel surcharges on BA since they run award booking services and would fairly quickly recognize the advantage there. TPG, as far as I know, only pimps credit cards and does not make money elsewhere.
You clearly have not been looking at the non card links in his posts!
Old May 1, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I'm just glad the best kept secret about surcharges on BA hasn't come out on any of the blogs so far, mainly because they are all so USA-centric.
Old May 1, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Probably because the bloggers use it themselves - some of them own award booking businesses, and it might hurt their cash flow if people suddenly were hit with having to pay more.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Yes I have made US partner award bookings It's a PITA compared to others but how many people are (1) aware of BA YQ, (2) are seeking redemptions on BA metal, and (3) wouldn't otherwise think to try this route if they have Dividend Miles to burn? The point is, this isn't something that masses of poor 'ole blog readers need "help" on. And the folks for whom this is of interest should be bright enough to try this venue for their bookings if the so desire. Many other incidents like this are even more straightforward.

I never stated that FT readers deserve the deal more than blog readers.
The problem is that dummy bookings through US on BA DO tie up inventory. Which is kind of a (expletive deleted) move. I don't see what the problem is with this being common knowledge instead of a serious inside game kind of thing; US will die as an airline soon enough anyways.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 2, 2014 at 10:54 am
Old May 1, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GaryZ
May I ask, and it's really none of my business, but are you/ or are you considering becoming a blogger?
OK, then, well you did answer my question.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:54 pm

The problem is that dummy bookings through US on BA DO tie up inventory. Which is kind of a (expletive deleted) move. I don't see what the problem is with this being common knowledge instead of a serious inside game kind of thing; US will dies as an airline soon enough anyways.
It's the same as certain aa explat's holding 4 different bookings of cx f at one point in case something "happens."
Old May 1, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Has this deal died yet? Because, from the screaming here, the deal should already be dead rather than, perhaps, a prearranged deal regarding US's entry into OneWorld. But, I wouldn't want facts getting in the way of a good story.

Especially one that justifies the existence of this sub-forum.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Has this deal died yet? Because, from the screaming here, the deal should already be dead rather than, perhaps, a prearranged deal regarding US's entry into OneWorld. But, I wouldn't want facts getting in the way of a good story.

Especially one that justifies the existence of this sub-forum.
Please don't upset the Angry's fantasy with truth. They like being upset and thinking bloggers are killing everything breathing. I posted about 2 years ago about a deal and was told I just killed it.. errr... slow death of that deal I guess..
Old May 2, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Please don't upset the Angry's fantasy with truth. They like being upset and thinking bloggers are killing everything breathing. I posted about 2 years ago about a deal and was told I just killed it.. errr... slow death of that deal I guess..
Did I translate the above to say: fly like earn blog for the day of flying make money points?
Old May 2, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Ex Plat, DL Dropout from Skymiles 2015
Wink

Originally Posted by Delta Points

Posted a deal? I didn't know you had unique deals between all of your 'Rookie' Posts and 'Fireside Chats'.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by 100orBust
Posted a deal? I didn't know you had unique deals between all of your 'Rookie' Posts and 'Fireside Chats'.
Welcome to FlyerTalk and thanks so much for reading the blog! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.