Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Mile and Point conferences--which is best and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:40 am

Mile and Point conferences--which is best and why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by techgirl
Have these seminars replaced the fun "JUST hang out and maybe get drunk" DOs that we used to have? I liked those... no paying for a conference room or listening to speakers all day - and we still made plenty of friends who knew virtually everything.
I think we got so big that folks don't feel the personal connection required to host them. There are still several that are held year after year: Brooklyn Reality tour, Kansas City BBQ, Alaska Do spring to mind. But in the early to mid 2000s, we could go to several and know that half or so of the attendees would have been at the last one as well. We also had a strong chat group where we'd encourage each other to attend wherever we were going. It was possible to make strong personal connections. Now, not so much. The Europeans are doing a better job of hosting Dos than Americans (in my opinion).

We try to have semi regular San Diego dinners. We've got a core group of regulars who make it to every second or third dinner. And we get lots of newcomers each time which is terrific. I always pick up something new, whether it is information about what to see in Taipei, or tips on meeting minimum spend on my AA Mastercard.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:41 pm

Anyone interested in a bohemian, nonconformist seminar where we drink beer and perform short skits mocking the bloggers?

It will be at Hooters Las Vegas and sponsored by Milwaukee's Best Light.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:56 pm

Have these seminars replaced the fun "JUST hang out and maybe get drunk" DOs that we used to have?
Of course! Now you have the amazing Delta dude and Frunny Points
teaching you all the knowledge! It's incredible.
Sorry, but the ONLY reason those conventions are created is to find
new victims to apply for the credit cards using the superstar bloggers' links.
No other reason.
If you're lucky and meet a great guy who will tell you that Lifemiles
think (used to think) Guam is in the US - good for you...
Of course "hang out and have a drink" is a much better model, but it's not
working anymore...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:04 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Of course "hang out and have a drink" is a much better model, but it's not working anymore...
I've been organizing a points and miles meetup in New York for the past year. We've had six so far with another one tonight. Generally 40 or 50 people show up, including some of the bloggers talked about in this forum. I've always thought "hang out and drink" make for the best events, so that's exactly what we do. Works well for us.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by mcc235
I've been organizing a points and miles meetup in New York for the past year. We've had six so far with another one tonight. Generally 40 or 50 people show up, including some of the bloggers talked about in this forum. I've always thought "hang out and drink" make for the best events, so that's exactly what we do. Works well for us.
great job Mike! I'm thinking of doing the same for LA, but not sure what the turnout would be like.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
Anyone interested in a bohemian, nonconformist seminar where we drink beer and perform short skits mocking the bloggers? It will be at Hooters Las Vegas and sponsored by Milwaukee's Best Light.
Loved that beer back in college because...it was the only I could afford

Sounds like fun ^
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I think we got so big that folks don't feel the personal connection required to host them. There are still several that are held year after year: Brooklyn Reality tour, Kansas City BBQ, Alaska Do spring to mind. But in the early to mid 2000s, we could go to several and know that half or so of the attendees would have been at the last one as well. We also had a strong chat group where we'd encourage each other to attend wherever we were going. It was possible to make strong personal connections. Now, not so much. The Europeans are doing a better job of hosting Dos than Americans (in my opinion).

We try to have semi regular San Diego dinners. We've got a core group of regulars who make it to every second or third dinner. And we get lots of newcomers each time which is terrific. I always pick up something new, whether it is information about what to see in Taipei, or tips on meeting minimum spend on my AA Mastercard.
I think you nailed it! ^
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
Anyone interested in a bohemian, nonconformist seminar where we drink beer and perform short skits mocking the bloggers?

It will be at Hooters Las Vegas and sponsored by Milwaukee's Best Light.
I can only aspire to eventually be mockable.

I much prefer Vegas when kokonutz is giving pai gow poker lessons at 7 am. That is, seriously, the single most useful thing I have ever learned on a FT weekend.

No Milwaukees Best for me though. That stuff makes me shudder!!!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I think we got so big that folks don't feel the personal connection required to host them. There are still several that are held year after year: Brooklyn Reality tour, Kansas City BBQ, Alaska Do spring to mind. But in the early to mid 2000s, we could go to several and know that half or so of the attendees would have been at the last one as well. We also had a strong chat group where we'd encourage each other to attend wherever we were going. It was possible to make strong personal connections. Now, not so much.
Ah, the good old days.

I think this is where the sub-groups (those secret cannot-be-named ones) have filled in the gap. Of course that sadly means I now only learn about AA EXP related things from other AA EXPs. I miss the diversity in my travel world... but I also gave up hosting DOs myself so I'm guilty too.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:38 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Any news how the FTU advanced was? Can't find any reports (so far).
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
HMT/DA wrote something about Lucky stealing his thunder: http://hackmytrip.com/2014/07/lucky-...out-lufthansa/
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Any news how the FTU advanced was? Can't find any reports (so far).
I enjoyed myself; the most useful sessions were the ones where we were able to access the Internet during the session and practice creating mock revenue and reward itineraries using tools such as Expert Flyer. I wasn't about to load the KVS tool on my work computer, though.

Best for me was having a few drinks in the bar with a very congenial bunch of people, very few of whom I had met before and all of whom had stories to tell.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yes, you would. Not much from a presenter at a big meeting maybe, but privately.

There are so many tricky things out there the mind boggles, thousands of tips, and a lot of it will never make its way onto the internet; it's traded friend-to-friend in whispers. I am just back from the Ann Arbor DO and picked up some great new info and I have been following this FF stuff daily for 12 years.

One trick I learned in Ann Arbor made the weekend worth the effort and cost 10x over.

The depth of knowledge some people have on the most arcane miles/points/travel topics is astonishing. Doubtful some of them would ever give the best things to people with a reputation for spreading everything (not of course saying you fall in this category, but there are some bloggers who probably have no idea how much they have been blackballed). But everyone gets some good material.

And after you meet someone expert in an area you are not, you can send a text/email/PM and likely get more info later.
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I was at the Ann Arbor DO (free by the way) and I say +1 to all of the above!

Gosh, I am going to miss the TPG pens in Chicago
Since FlyerTalk is a place of sharing tips and tricks,it would be nice if you would share with the rest of us.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Is it worth attending these if you don't do mileage runs or manufactured spend? That's what's kept me away....
Yes. There are several topics beyond MR & MS, although those 2 sessions get large attendance (at least at the Chicago Seminar Event). The real value, of course, is all the conversations that take place in the hallways during breaks, lunch, and closing down (er, hanging out) the bar.

* Full disclosure. I chair the charity raffle at the ORD Seminar Event each year & I moderate the Marriott break-out session. I also chaired the charity raffle at the first FTU a few years ago. Ironically because I'm so busy selling raffle tickets I don't usually have time to actually attend the sessions (other than the Marriott break-out).

Have these seminars replaced the fun "JUST hang out and maybe get drunk" DOs that we used to have? I liked those... no paying for a conference room or listening to speakers all day - and we still made plenty of friends who knew virtually everything.

It seems like there aren't as many of those anymore. Everything has a speaker or a tour or a mandatory corporate sponsored something or other.
You should check CommunityBuzz more often. There are a lot more get-togethers on CB than there are seminar events. Some of the FT Dos are organized (like the SIN Do, CowDo, Alaska Do, etc) & some are more of the meals/bar types. Some areas such as DC & FRA do monthly get-togethers. Others just post meals or events. Chicago & San Diego often have dinners.

Seminar events, however, are more structured & do have speakers, sponsors, etc, and have a lot of newbies as well as more advanced types. You can tell the newbies by the glazed look in their eyes The first few ORD Seminar Events there were a lot of FTers that I had met at prior (non seminar) Dos. Last year was the first time there were more first-time attendees & I think they heard about it from the various bloggers. Other than the first FTU I've not attended any of theirs.

Agree.

Ah, the good old days.

I think this is where the sub-groups (those secret cannot-be-named ones) have filled in the gap. Of course that sadly means I now only learn about AA EXP related things from other AA EXPs. I miss the diversity in my travel world... but I also gave up hosting DOs myself so I'm guilty too.
I'm not totally sure of the sub-groups filling in the gaps. A lot of information & sharing still happens at the Dos that are listed in CommunityBuzz.

Cheers.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm not totally sure of the sub-groups filling in the gaps. A lot of information & sharing still happens at the Dos that are listed in CommunityBuzz.
Facebook seems to have filled in a lot of the gap of what used to happen here on FT "back in the day" community-wise. I'm in several FB subgroups and social media seems to make the back and forth easier, especially for those who are already on it a lot - plus you get to know people on a personal level and by real name, which somehow raises the level of civility (most of the time, anyway).

Twitter is great for getting news quickly.

TripAdvisor and Yelp fill the gaps on tours/attractions/restaurants.

In short, I think functionality is changing the patterns of how we seek general information... how we get it quickly and minimize the searching is key.

And as for community, I was never a fan of the overly complicated DOs. I like traveling somewhere to actually experience the culture and immerse myself. That's just my two cents. When many of them started to adopt agenda-heavy plans, I bowed out as it isn't how I like to travel. As you and I have discussed on a few occasions (and you've experienced from me), I do like to drop in to drinks or dinner somewhere from time-to-time, but I'm just not attracted to events where everything is planned for me as its just not my style. I do still skim for dinner events and such and have dropped in on a couple when timing has lined up, but it's been a long time since I've seen an event that also coincides with a weekend I'm free and thought "yeah, I totally want to do that". (sidebar... EZE is wonderful but always OUT for me as it's a weekend that my volunteer duties require I be elsewhere... SIN is the same - those are two long-standing FT community events that I love and am sad I can no longer attend!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.