Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Mile and Point conferences--which is best and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:40 am

Mile and Point conferences--which is best and why?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Matt @saverocity is organising this event for 75$:

http://saverocity.com/travel/milemad...otte-may-10th/
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The proliferation of these events is reminiscent of pre-2008 paid seminars on how to flip houses. When the general public begins exploiting an opportunity, it's nearly over.

OTOH, I figure that the US government has been using my money* to prop up the banks, so I want to do my share to recycle that money back to me. Credit card signup bonuses are a great tool for this purpose. To the extent the government is funding this opportunity, it can continue quite a while.

*Primarily by creating enough new money to depress interest rates artificially.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:23 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Everyone has their own story to justify the addiction I suppose. The fact that MBNA left the market in the crash and Chase tried to grab market share is a factor for the glut of UR points. Amex becoming a bank and hence offering BB is another.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by nsx
The proliferation of these events is reminiscent of pre-2008 paid seminars on how to flip houses. When the general public begins exploiting an opportunity, it's nearly over.
Despite being actively involved in Matt's event, I can't say there are any truer words I have read on FT.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Wish granted? FTU Advanced conf (ORD) 7/18/14 to 7/20/14

Wish granted? FTU Advanced conference announced. Not enough lead time for me unfortunately, so I likely won't be attending. But wanted to pass this on to others who'd not seen it before:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...spots-limited/
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:59 pm

I have to get rid of my FTU advanced - chicago ticket - anyone interested, PM me.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:14 am

Maybe one of us can wikify this thread and list what seminars are out there? @:-)
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Maybe one of us can wikify this thread and list what seminars are out there? @:-)
Sure.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:44 am

Looking at how quickly the Senior (Advanced) FTUs sold and contrasting them to the AAdo its amazing how much money you can collect in no time
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:12 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Looking at how quickly the Senior (Advanced) FTUs sold and contrasting them to the AAdo its amazing how much money you can collect in no time
It's classic marketing. My company used to provide free technician training. But we would not get many takers. Through focus groups we realized that the proposition was not valued (if we are giving it away for free it must be worthless). So we started charging $125 for the exact same training and all of the trainings sold out.

Human nature is like that.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: A few
I will say as someone who was actively involved in the planning for the Milemadness do in CLT the pricing was very much set to be accessible and simply cover costs. In fact I personally agreed with a couple of others to foot any shortfall. So I was pretty shocked to see the pricing of the Advanced FTU gig, though I am not privvy to the planning so maybe it is just covering their costs.

I think the "advanced" do's have appeal because there is a group of people looking for ways in to "insider clubs" to get access to "secrets" and what-not. I think these people will be disappointed. And then there are others who just want to get together with people who realize there is more to this gig than getting a Chase Saphirre card. I think these people will be well served.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I will say as someone who was actively involved in the planning for the Milemadness do in CLT the pricing was very much set to be accessible and simply cover costs. In fact I personally agreed with a couple of others to foot any shortfall. So I was pretty shocked to see the pricing of the Advanced FTU gig, though I am not privvy to the planning so maybe it is just covering their costs.

I think the "advanced" do's have appeal because there is a group of people looking for ways in to "insider clubs" to get access to "secrets" and what-not. I think these people will be disappointed. And then there are others who just want to get together with people who realize there is more to this gig than getting a Chase Saphirre card. I think these people will be well served.
The way to get into insider clubs, onto the email chains, and learn 'secrets' is not to buy your way in. It's to build networks by going to DOs and interacting with folks online. @:-)@:-)@:-)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by kokonutz
The way to get into insider clubs, onto the email chains, and learn 'secrets' is not to buy your way in. It's to build networks by going to DOs and interacting with folks online. @:-)@:-)@:-)
I've said that for years. It was valid in 1999, and still valid today. @:-)

FYI, the Brooklyn Reality Tour (info located in the Community forum) is a good place to discuss these secrets. The technical things you'll learn at this, or any other gathering, is more important than learning about mileage earning credit cards/booking a R/T fare with a free 1 way, which card to get double points on for 2 weeks, and on and on. That can be learned by reading or attending a University. It's still all entry level stuff.

The meat and potatoes of a local DO is where all the action is.

dh
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
^
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Interesting that 2 of the FTU Advanced Dos are in ORD, including one 2 weeks before the Chicago ORD Seminar Event. I would have thought FTU would pick dif locations - ie, west, midwest, east.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.