Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DeltaPoints & other blogs loosing CC afilliate links [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
DeltaPoints & other blogs loosing CC afilliate links [merged]

"On a side note, I will be withdrawing from the Chase Affiliate program as of this Friday and Lisa and I SO appreciate all the readers who supported our blog by using our Chase links for the past 2 plus years! – René"
I wonder if this was voluntary or if Chase has standards on quality of blog content and format that they adhere to?

If you ran a credit card company would you want your brand associated with typos, confusing layouts and questionable advice in exchange for paying that blogger for a few referrals? Are bloggers compensated (or punished) based on the quality of customer those referrals bring?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
DeltaPoints: "withdrawing" from Chase Affiliate program

They have to meet certain quotas specified by the big kahuna called Chase. No wonder that in the past few weeks most bloggers have been writing articles embedded with links. I have no issues with that cause time is money and everybody should be able to make money if they invest their time.

So I don't think content was an issue. As long as approvals were happening ( called "Conversions" ) Chase and others would be satisfied. Sad to say but Amex has strict requirements too...

Credit Karma is still an available option...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I doubt the editorial content/style has anything to do with a Chase decision to retain or remove links to a blogger. The significant factor is conversions. If your numbers drop your days are counted. In the cited example I would surmise that the hardcore DL fan/captive audience can't really make use of Chase cards, DL is Amex territory. So conversions were probably low in the past.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I doubt Chase bothers about the content. However, readers bother about the content, and you need readers to get referrals.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Yeah I imagine one could write in Pig Latin and Chase doesn't care, so long as the numbers stack up.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are some content/style controls in place in certain cases (I have no idea if that came into play with DP's) but the quotas are definitely important.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Quality tends to breed conversions, no doubt that played a roll indirectly at least.

Based on the first part of your question, I'd bet any amount of money that this was not voluntary, despite the implications in the posts wording.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:51 pm

Wow, he censored Chase too?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader
Based on the first part of your question, I'd bet any amount of money that this was not voluntary, despite the implications in the posts wording.
Agree, don't see why this would be a voluntary decision. If it was I would expect at least a brief comment explaining why.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by ferrari_fan
LOL
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by ferrari_fan
+1
Poor Chase, should know better and refrain from commenting.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Just speculation here, but if he is focused on Delta (I'm deducing that from the title), wouldn't the cards he promotes the most typically be Amex, since they are the co-branded cards? So he wouldn't necessarily be actively promoting Chase as much as another might.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Just speculation here, but if he is focused on Delta (I'm deducing that from the title), wouldn't the cards he promotes the most typically be Amex, since they are the co-branded cards? So he wouldn't necessarily be actively promoting Chase as much as another might.
The DP blog heavily promoted the chase products (well, the ones that offered commission). The big recommendations were generally redeeming the points for travel cash, which IMO is a terrible idea.

But the blog definitely pimped chase cards - the last post before chase pulled the links was pretty funny in how it tried to toss in referral links by any means necessary. Gotta squeeze every cent
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
I think you are making the mistake of applying logic... like a used car salesman who's best car on the lot is the one you are looking at buying, DP will sell anything and everything that pays a commission.

This was obviously not voluntary, but it was amusing.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
DeltaPoints: "withdrawing" from Chase Affiliate program

I don't read that blog. What is his revenue stream now going to be? Or will he be the first blogger that actually means it when he says 'I just want to help my family and friends'....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.