TheMrPickles
Print Wikipost

Bloggers taking comps

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SMK77
Self-serving statement, isn't it? You volunteer here because you wanna volunteer and not because you wanna get rewarded with freebies every now and then.

Do you know why governance employees cannot even accept an invitation for a cup of coffee? Because bribery starts with small favors that one is likely to return in one way or the other.

Handing out a free ticket worth 400 EUR is substantial by any means. Most companies draw the line at 100 USD when it comes to accepting gifts. And even than you cannot accept a gift if there is any appearance that there is an expectation behind that gift (and appearance not just from the receiver but from a general public view).
Only that covering the travel expenses for someone whom the company has a business relationship with would never be considered as a gift. But nice try.

Originally Posted by SMK77
It would be very easy for FlyerTalk to put in place such rules and a code of conduct and it is surprising that this is not happening even after people here have not shown sound judgement when accepting gifts.
Would you care to elaborate (either here or via PM) since I´m honestly not aware of any such incidents?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:07 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by 84fiero
- I think the general idea is that there ought to be a known, stated standard of conduct for mods/CD - whatever details that may include - to ensure openness, fairness and consistency.
If a problem existed, as it has in the past for Congress, something like the rules Congress follows (see Section I.A) would be appropriate. What I described (a company paying ordinary travel expenses only) fits comfortably within those rules.

Creating an official rule would leave the incorrect impression that, as with Congress, the rule was prompted by abuse. There is no abuse, and I don't see how any abuse would even be possible. Show me a plausible scenario for abuse and maybe I'll change my mind.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@84fiero: You make some good points and many mods will agree with at least some of your arguments.

- Who decided that mods should "present members' opinions" to industry and receive freebies, as opposed to any other FT member? I thought their position is just to help ensure FT ToS are followed?

- If the above does occur, what process is in place to gather member inputs and then report on discussions afterward? This was a problem in at least one instance, where an undisclosed meeting occurred and FT'ers were not provided the benefit of information obtained by the mod at the industry discussion.
Mods rarely "present members' opinions" - some companies have their official lurkers monitor the threads and provide a summary to management on a regular basis, afaik mods are rarely involved in any such dealings.

While some mods only enforce the TOS in their forum, others make an effort to make the forum a more useful place, e.g. by creating wikis, writing master FAQ threads and trying to bring an official lurker onboard. This indeed is not part of the "official job description", but I can´t imagine many FTers think this is a bad thing. Meetings between mods and company reps typically focus on "What can/should the official lurkers do/not do?" and discussing how to improve the interaction being FTers and the company.

- I don't think anyone is suggesting industry will woo mods as a means of marketing engagement. But mods are in a position to modify/lock threads, delete posts, suspend, and permanently ban members. A potential bias towards or against an airline, hotel, etc. could be an issue.
I think you´re over-estimating the power mods have. Mods can´t just randomly delete threads and ban members. And even if it happened, there´s a formal complaint process.

- It may not necessarily be the case that mods would be banned from getting freebies or comps, but at a minimum there should be disclosure of such. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

- I think the general idea is that there ought to be a known, stated standard of conduct for mods/CD - whatever details that may include - to ensure openness, fairness and consistency.
I don´t necessarily disagree, but IMO it´s not really an issue. Sure, one could disclose "mod xyz was invited to HQ to discuss what the official lurkers can do and the company covered the costs of transportation", but it´s not as if various companies were giving mods free vacations (which indeed would be questionable conduct IMO) etc.

My opinion is that the whole idea of implementing guidelines is somewhat unnecessary since there´s no issue to "fix". If you´re aware of specific mods receiving free trips/miles/points I´m happy to re-evaluate my standpoint.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I don't know what you are referring to but if you are talking about this event all participants paid for their own transportation and accommodation but they would have asked the same right questions even if they had their fares paid by LH. The fact that they did not get the answers FTers/VFTers would have liked to hear was not for lack of trying.
Correct me if I´m wrong, but I thought Oliver2002 didn´t even attend the event. Suggesting that a mod who wasn´t even present failed to ask the right questions certainly is .... interesting.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:48 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Mods rarely "present members' opinions"
I have done so on a couple occasions, generally preceded by an open thread soliciting questions from members. In one case the company asked for website gripes and I re-read the forum to collect observations that members had posted. It's nothing the company people couldn't have done themselves, but their available time was limited. The website gripes meeting was by phone, FWIW.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:56 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
There is. Its called the Moderator Good Practices document, which every Mod must abide by.

I think people are becoming a little sanctimonious regarding Mod compensation. Do people pay to join FT? No. It's a free "membership" site, moderated by volunteers who hopefully for the most part, take an active interest in the role they play. Mods are hardly it in for the compensation and the whole conspiracy theory is starting to get boring.

I already have a job. I dont need another one. I participate in FT because its a hobby and I would like to think the hours I contribute far outweigh whatever benefits I have ever received.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:27 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
In that there are no defined standards by which one earns GS, other than 4MMer, yes. If you mean did I receive a call outright offering me GS then no. I was part of a targeted group to receive it but based on my conversations with others in the group it was not tied to my status as a blogger. It was tied to my status with CO/UA at the time it was offered.

Is a status match a comp? Is a challenge? They are arguably open only to limited segments of the general population.
Thanks for being so forthcoming.

As usual. ^
Originally Posted by eightblack
There is. Its called the Moderator Good Practices document, which every Mod must abide by.
And, in fairness, that document is completely 100% secret. By design. So that posters can not and will not attempt to hold mods accountable to it.

That all said, we've gotten a bit afield from the subject of this thread.

Maybe some work on the wiki is in order!

Last edited by kokonutz; Jan 11, 2014 at 8:51 pm
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
And, in fairness, that document is completely 100% secret.
And, in accuracy, that is not true. Every moderator knows it and has agreed to abide by it.

So that posters can not and will not attempt to hold mods accountable to it.
Ah, I see your confusion. You may be thinking of the Community Director, SanDiego1K; it is her job to hold moderators accountable, and she does great at it.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:23 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Ah, I see your confusion. You may be thinking of the Community Director, SanDiego1K; it is her job to hold moderators accountable, and she does great at it.
No confusion whatsoever: I have been told directly that the reason that the Mod BP Guide is kept secret among the mods is so that posters aren't tempted to try to hold mods accountable to it.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kokonutz
we've gotten a bit afield from the subject of this thread.
On that we can agree. ^
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I don't know what you are referring to but if you are talking about this event all participants paid for their own transportation and accommodation but they would have asked the same right questions even if they had their fares paid by LH. The fact that they did not get the answers FTers/VFTers would have liked to hear was not for lack of trying.
I refer to the comment of 'calling a spade a spade'.

All of the responses and publications were a press release, could have come from the corporate communications office without anyone attending any meeting.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Only that covering the travel expenses for someone whom the company has a business relationship with would never be considered as a gift. But nice try.
Huh?

If you are not on official business (contributing to your job) and company x pays you hotel and airline tickets then this is indeed very questionable.

Show me one compliance officer who testifies that this conduct is acceptable.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:54 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
If you are not on official business (contributing to your job) and company x pays you hotel and airline tickets then this is indeed very questionable.
Correct. But no airline or hotel chain would pay travel expenses for an FTer who is not going to contribute more value to FT as a result of attending the meeting. There's value in the meeting to the company and value to FT. If it were a one-sided gift to the FT member it would be improper on the part of the recipient and pointlessly wasteful on the part of the donor company. Such situations simply don't happen.

FT benefits when any FT member meets with airline or hotel company executives. Information and insight are gained by both parties. It's a win-win.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Correct. But no airline or hotel chain would pay travel expenses for an FTer who is not going to contribute more value to FT as a result of attending the meeting. There's value in the meeting to the company and value to FT. If it were a one-sided gift to the FT member it would be improper on the part of the recipient and pointlessly wasteful on the part of the donor company. Such situations simply don't happen.

FT benefits when any FT member meets with airline or hotel company executives. Information and insight are gained by both parties. It's a win-win.
I don't think it's that easy but let's be honest, Flyertalk itself is not really of much use to whatever company so that single moderators would need to be secretly or even semi-openly invited for feedback meetings on the FT progress itself.

I was more talking about the general corporate governance aspect of it from a compliance standard and the associated guidelines most big corporations have.

And I would never say "Such situations simply don't happen" about anything.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
You might be not up to date on Compliance matters, but a business relationship in many cases would definitely not allow for accepting reimbursement of travel cost. A third party provider who wants to sell your company something is offering you a First Class trip to their headquarters to discuss the proposal: Would you think it's appropriate to accept the 'invite' (read: gift)?

Same goes for moderators constantly lobbying for a certain airline or discussing internal FT matters with senior executives: they don't even have a business relationship and should not feel 'entitled' to free transportation because they are spending so much time for FT and the community.

Would you care to elaborate (either here or via PM) since I´m honestly not aware of any such incidents?
I have shared my concerns with your Community Director in charge and I left it up to her good judgement how she wants to handle my input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.