Reload this Page >

Bloggers posting wrong and misleading advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bloggers posting wrong and misleading advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Who cares? It's all about credit card conversions

Originally Posted by st1575
Well, VFTW's newly "updated" guide to AA redemptions has glaring errors:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....merican-miles/

Most of them look like overlooked revisions related to the examples of now-eliminated stopovers, but some clearly stem from not reading the updated Web page (or the FT thread(s)!). For example, AAnytime awards are now subject to the $150 fee for changes to origin/destination.

I would expect further updates.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Why even bother? Last year I read a pile of misinformation about Munich on TPG which included gems like:

When I tweeted on how many things were wrong in it I got a weird response
I know there's a disclaimer stating that it is impossible for the site authors to actually visit each city, and they may choose to do independent research instead.

But if they are simply cut and pasting Wikipedia text and doing an Expedia search to find out which chain hotels are available, there is little value in these articles. As you witnessed, it can even cause damage to the site's reputation.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stackm
I know there's a disclaimer stating that it is impossible for the site authors to actually visit each city,...
Only if they make the choice to write about more cities than they visit. I only write about places I've been. No one is forcing them to "write stories" (and I use that term loosely) based on having not visited a place.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:57 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by sbm12
Only if they make the choice to write about more cities than they visit. I only write about places I've been. No one is forcing them to "write stories" (and I use that term loosely) based on having not visited a place.
...and I am not even sure as to what is the value of writing an article about a place to which one has never visited...
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
...and I am not even sure as to what is the value of writing an article about a place to which one has never visited...
SEO, page views and revenue.

Who cares that you're not providing information valuable to the consumer if you're making money doing so?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:10 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

SEO, page views and revenue.

Who cares that you're not providing information valuable to the consumer if you're making money doing so?
I should have clarified what I posted by saying “I am not even sure as to what is the value to the reader of writing an article about a place to which one has never visited” — but I completely agree with you.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:44 pm

VFTW/gleff's post tonight about the 12 longest flights in the world is riddled with misinformation (and typos) and uses photos of seats not flown by the airlines on those routes. And he could've just used wikipedia to get the list.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
VFTW/gleff's post tonight about the 12 longest flights in the world is riddled with misinformation (and typos) and uses photos of seats not flown by the airlines on those routes. And he could've just used wikipedia to get the list.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. He's the CFO for a university research center, and that is a major job in itself. Maybe he's getting pressured/running out of time to post more.

Last edited by GuyverII; Jun 24, 2014 at 4:09 am
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I recoiled in horror when I read it this morning... did he even proof read it?

And he is not 'the CFO for a university'. For the correct info please look at the LinkedIn profile.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I recoiled in horror when I read it this morning... did he even proof read it?

And he is not 'the CFO for a university'. For the correct info please look at the LinkedIn profile.
Was cut off. He's the CFO for a university research center. Fixed.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I've referenced that wikipedia article many times when the issue has come up, makes it pretty clear. Not sure what the point of that VFTW post was especially if it wasn't going to be proofread.

I'm just surprised there weren't some CC affiliate links embedded in it!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:25 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I saw that late last night...all I could do was shake my head.

Not his best effort by a long shot.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I saw that late last night...all I could do was shake my head.

Not his best effort by a long shot.
I think you are completely wrong here. Do you not see the direction his blog is taking? First, why write original material when you can just list out what everyone else posted this week and sprinkle referral links... then... post wrong information in your other posts when you don't have time to do research and let people leave comments for free copy editing... Brilliant use of Cunningham's Law!

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cunningham%27s_Law
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I think you are completely wrong here. Do you not see the direction his blog is taking? First, why write original material when you can just list out what everyone else posted this week and sprinkle referral links... then... post wrong information in your other posts when you don't have time to do research and let people leave comments for free copy editing... Brilliant use of Cunningham's Law!

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cunningham%27s_Law
Bits n' Pieces:

Astrophsx claims that VFTW uses Cunningham's law to copy edit his posts.

In my experience Richie Cunningham was kooler than Potsy but not as kool as the king of kool, the Fonz. Of course, Ralph Malph was kooler than them all.

Ultimately, what's really kool is Chase Sapphire.

Meanwhile, miles are longer than hours.

In other news, OMAAT is NOT currently running a kickstarter.
This is why, again, I would make a terrible P&M blogger.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I thought his defending AA's no-notice change was a new low, but that post may have topped that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.