Reload this Page >

FTU Going to Seattle April 2014

Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:46 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

No no, not FlyerTalk University, silly! Frequent Traveler University!

It will be held in Seattle, starting the evening of Friday April 25th and running through the afternoon of Sunday, April 27th.

Apparently the FTU website hasn't been updated yet: http://ftuniversity.com/

And apparently VFTW's Gary Leff is arranging and running the show:

I’m just starting to put together the program, but you’ll be able to meet and hear from folks like Ben from One Mile at a Time, Greg from Frequent Miler, and Summer from Mommy Points.

I’ll be sharing the rest of the speakers and schedule in the weeks and months to come.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:43 pm

I wonder when they'll update the website?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farbster
I wonder when they'll update the website?
Dunno. But it's weird because Gary links to the site in his blog post. You'd think it would have been updated before he linked to it.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
OK, OK, time for the nitty gritty. Is the special $99 rate at the Marriott an eligible stay for the Spring Megabonus promotion?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
OK, OK, time for the nitty gritty. Is the special $99 rate at the Marriott an eligible stay for the Spring Megabonus promotion?
You'd have to ask Gary (or Marriott, I suppose), but according to a post on MilePoint, whether they count toward the megabonus or not you can't use a megabonus cert for the stay:

Originally Posted by marcwint55, post: 2242780, member: 3067
They are not taking mega bonus certificates for those nights at the hotel.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Executive
Thumbs up Can't Recommend Highly Enough!!

I went to my first (and only - so far) FTU about a year ago in LA with my husband as it was in our hometown and seemed interesting to me.

Boy, did I get more than I bargained for - all good! I had known about credit card offers and had signed up for a few several years ago but was always concerned as to whether it was the "right" thing to be doing - was I hurting my credit score, etc.

In the last year I have gotten 15 credit cards with many of them being higher than normal bonus offers and my husband has gotten at least 6 or 7.

We have gotten many rewards - 2 free Hyatt nights at the Hyatt Big Sur (over Thanksgiving weekend), 2 free Marriott nights in Times Square in December and free airfare. We got last minute WN tickets for LA - OAK - while I realize that may not sound all that exotic - the fact is that is one of our favorites as it saved us from having to spend 10+ hours driving and got us to a graduation relaxed. The list goes on but you get the idea.

We have done mileage runs to Cleveland in January, Boston in February, Anchorage in June and Providence (via Hartford) in September. Thank you ITA software and Flyertalk for assistance in finding these. For this year, we are looking at the LAX-PVG for the fall.

Other benefits include being able to help out others with basic information for their travels as well as helping out relatives fix a mistake (where the solution was Alaska miles) at the last minute or else they wouldn't have made a wedding.

With banks now giving out free credit scores - I found out that our credit scores have only increased from last year.

I wasn't able to make DC or Tampa last year but will be making Seattle. This event will sell out and if you can fit it into your travel schedule, you should buy your tickets sooner than later or you will be sad

Looking forward to seeing you all in Seattle
Liz
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:51 pm

Ticket for Sale

Hi there,

I bought my FTU ticket right after Gary posted. Just this weekend I learned about an unexpected family situation that will prevent me from attending. It's a shame, as I was really looking forward to my first FTU experience. Hoping not to burn the $100 fee, if you need a ticket and are open to helping out via a simple transfer, as allowable by FTU T&C, we can arrange a payment easily. Thank you!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:39 pm

How long do these tickets stay for purchase? Do these sell out pretty fast? I may have a trip scheduled during the time this event is. I want to attend this badly!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

They typically do sell out but not always fast. This one appears to be of reduced size so seems likelier to sell out. But ask the SuperSonics whether Seattle events tend to sell out or not . Even if/when it does, as fragz demonstrates there is always a lively secondary market for tickets.

Bottom line: my guess is you have plenty of time to decide.

I mean, the website isn't even up for this event yet... Just the payment portal!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rampartmovie
How long do these tickets stay for purchase? Do these sell out pretty fast? I may have a trip scheduled during the time this event is. I want to attend this badly!
You can probably wait. Usually when it gets close to sold out, the organizers will start pushing it via blog posts to sell those last few seats. You can definately wait until then
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:37 pm

For sure, I bought early. I just figured might as well click through. I do anticipate to unload it closer to the event, I just thought to start now since I know it's impossible I attend. Still available.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by LAtraveler1
I went to my first (and only - so far) FTU about a year ago in LA with my husband...In the last year I have gotten 15 credit cards...Liz
You are the PRIMARY target attendee for these events! I bet you applied for the cards through one of the presenter's blog sites. Just wondering out loud, did you know how much these guys make per app? Do you know now?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Lucky can teach us how to get banned from united.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jfk747
Lucky can teach us how to get banned from united.
Lucky got banned from united? When did this happen?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Executive
Question Why Shouldn't the Bloggers Make Revenue???

Originally Posted by gpapadop
You are the PRIMARY target attendee for these events! I bet you applied for the cards through one of the presenter's blog sites. Just wondering out loud, did you know how much these guys make per app? Do you know now?
Don't know how much they make and honestly DON"T care! They provided me with a service that is helpful to me and I am happy if they made some $ on the back end. Its not like I received any less miles/points because I signed up through their websites. The $ are coming from the bank's coffers and I'd just as well see the bank share it with the bloggers as keep it for themselves.

You seem to have an issue with the bloggers making $ - me wondering out loud - why? If your concern is for me that I am naive and don't realize they are making $ then I thank you for your concern, which I will tell you is misplaced. The blogger's website I use is up front about the fact that he makes referral fees and always states the best offer regardless of whether it is his link or someone else's. I believe that is what one calls integrity and I am happy to support him.

Best
Liz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.