Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FTU Tampa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ingy
I started my blog when I figured out how to monetize it, and got to help lots of people along the way. It was a great combination.
To your credit, I would say that you started your blog before it was obvious that you'd be able to monetize it and certainly to what degree. Same with Gary, Ben and some others.

I respect guys that take risks. Guys that create something out of nothing. Guys that create value.

The space has changed. There's probably a reason you got out.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:13 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by hobo13
To your credit, I would say that you started your blog before it was obvious that you'd be able to monetize it and certainly to what degree. Same with Gary, Ben and some others.

I respect guys that take risks. Guys that create something out of nothing. Guys that create value.

The space has changed. There's probably a reason you got out.
I got out because there were just too many new faces repeating my old material as the new expert in town, I was in my 60's, burnt out, understaffed and advised to get out while the gettin' was good.

The onslaught of new BA bloggers that got CC links just because they belonged to BA was just a little much for me. When I got links you had to have a history of decent relevant content, decent design (I squeaked by there and a fairly decent sized following.

For a short time, and that's when they all jumped in, if you were breathing, had a pulse and belonged to BA, you got links. I remind the guy that got them all approved whenever I see him. I actually had people contact me and tell me those were the options as offered by the affiliate marketing company. He did no service to our hobby. That was in my opinion "Greed"

I'm not saying BA doesn't have some good bloggers, but the motives of many at that particular time were monetization only.

But surprisingly, the income number never really suffered much with all the new competition. In fact, this August and the SPG promo for an extra 5K sign up, was our best month ever.

Hobo, again nice to have a civilized conversation about a somewhat contentious topic.

Thanks for the opportunity
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ingy
I got out because there were just too many new faces repeating my old material as the new expert in town, I was in my 60's, burnt out, understaffed and advised to get out while the gettin' was good.

The onslaught of new BA bloggers that got CC links just because they belonged to BA was just a little much for me. When I got links you had to have a history of decent relevant content, decent design (I squeaked by there and a fairly decent sized following.

For a short time, and that's when they all jumped in, if you were breathing, had a pulse and belonged to BA, you got links. I remind the guy that got them all approved whenever I see him. I actually had people contact me and tell me those were the options as offered by the affiliate marketing company. He did no service to our hobby. That was in my opinion "Greed"

I'm not saying BA doesn't have some good bloggers, but the motives of many at that particular time were monetization only.

But surprisingly, the income number never really suffered much with all the new competition. In fact, this August and the SPG promo for an extra 5K sign up, was our best month ever.

Hobo, again nice to have a civilized conversation about a somewhat contentious topic.

Thanks for the opportunity
for a time. now? good luck. and also chase is dropping people like flies
Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by sbm12
The idea of people making money off this stuff is an anathema to many. That's why you see hate about having to pay to attend a conference or such. At least the haters are pretty consistent in their comments on that front.
Add me to that list. The last thing I would do is click on blog links for cc signups, etc. I barely glance at them.

I believe in freely sharing information. I guess that's because it was that way when I first found FT-people gave away information to the point where I felt like I wasn't contributing enough to the collective knowledge.

Now everyone is out to make a buck.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Now everyone is out to make a buck.
Including Internet Brands, the company which owns FlyerTalk.

It has been a long, long, long time since any of these sites - FT, MP, blogs and more - were just about sharing info and hoping people show up and learn. Some are more aggressive about monetizing than others, but pretty much everyone is doing it.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by hobo13

Agreed.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Add me to that list. The last thing I would do is click on blog links for cc signups, etc. I barely glance at them.

Mary2e, You're leaving lots and lots of miles and points on the table by not signing up for the various sign up bonus' that are out there.

If I was new to the miles and points 'game' as my friend Rick likes to say, I'd gladly pay $99 bucks to learn what I needed to know. Don't forget, the cost includes food and drink. I think they should charge $150, with the excess going to the various charities that the organizers pick.

dh
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Mary2e, You're leaving lots and lots of miles and points on the table by not signing up for the various sign up bonus' that are out there.
There's a difference between not signing up and not using affiliate links to do so. :-:
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
As much as I can avoid it. When Randy owned FT, I used to click on advertisers links just to give back a little, now I use ad blocker

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Agreed.
I sign up sporadically either using links sent to me by the bank or go directly to the bank.

I'm not very much into the churning game. I simply don't have the time or patience. I'll sign up if the offer is really good, but that's only about once a year.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:54 am

How does FT make money? I bought a couple of luggage tags, but that's about it? Membership is free...Are there many ads I'm missing due to .......?

It has been a long, long, long time since any of these sites - FT, MP, blogs and more - were just about sharing info and hoping people show up and learn. Some are more aggressive about monetizing than others, but pretty much everyone is doing it.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by farbster
Are there many ads I'm missing due to .......?
Yes. And they have plenty of CC links in their other content, such as blogs and newsletters.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:39 pm

One bad thing about ....... is that I think it takes out some promotions on either the marriott or spg homepage. oh well...small price to pay
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:11 pm

One bad thing about ....... is that I think it takes out some promotions on either the marriott or spg homepage. oh well...small price to pay
You can set up exceptions on a site-by-site basis if you want. :-:
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
How does FT make money?
By displaying ads. After a certain level of traffic, you get paid by display alone. Adblockers add-ons AFAIK are only reliably available on FF and Chrome and in their infancy for IE (only version >8.0) so their revenue is somewhat assured till 201x. Another source of revenue is targeted ad campaigns by certain entities in certain forums. Chase and NCL seem to do that.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:31 am

IE? What is that? I seem to remember using that back in the day of dialup...Actually, I use IE on a very few sites that require it, but other than that it is Chrome all the way.

And Seth, you're correct as usual. I should put the exception in for Marriott or SPG etc...Thanks for reminding me.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
By displaying ads. After a certain level of traffic, you get paid by display alone. Adblockers add-ons AFAIK are only reliably available on FF and Chrome and in their infancy for IE (only version >8.0) so their revenue is somewhat assured till 201x. Another source of revenue is targeted ad campaigns by certain entities in certain forums. Chase and NCL seem to do that.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:22 pm
Suspended

If a tour of the local adult venues were included now thats learning with a view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.