One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:52 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Barney Fife would be so proud!

Or maybe this could be the start of a new TV show:

"In the airline justice system, lavatory-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In New York City, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Lucky Victims Unit. These are their stories. * Dun Dun *"
Reminds me of the time something was stolen from his mom at a hotel and he wanted a full-on CSI-investigation.

Active imagination + hours of boredom = that post.
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:03 am

Coincidence or could the recent flurry of articles about cities / regions / tourist attractions be partially in response to this thread poking fun at him not being a "real traveler"? :-:
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Coincidence or could the recent flurry of articles about cities / regions / tourist attractions be partially in response to this thread poking fun at him not being a "real traveler"? :-:
Coincidence since posts said that years ago, there really hasn't been a notable change, and he explained he was changing his lifestyle well before those recent comments.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
The recent W Dubai review, I just don't get why you wouldn't immediately ask to switch rooms if yours smells like garbage... Not excusing the rest of the poor service Ben got there, but this just seems like an amateur move on his part.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
All this means is that Tiffany has been traveling, who tends to spend more time reviewing destinations and attractions.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I like Tifany's articles when it comes in booking 2 rooms with/without points and connecting door etc. It sometimes mirrors the hassle of booking revenue combined with award when it comes to family treats.

Lucky is a bit excistential these days, why / if / how at home posts show that he's ready to enjoy a home life instead of giving in to his addiction of flying in premium cabins and staying insatiable in hotels on points and being recogniszed and praised for indolent loyalty.

Nevertheless in real life friendly but it is good that he's taking a slower speed in life.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Bretmd

All this means is that Tiffany has been traveling, who tends to spend more time reviewing destinations and attractions.
It was Lucky's repeated articles in a very short time frame on destinations only that made me comment. Tiffany's coming just added in more.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:29 pm

This thread is hilarious at times.

Lucky has focused his blog primarily on airline cabins and hotel reviews simply because that's his niche, and that's where his expertise lies. Anyone who goes to Omaat knows that's what the site is about, and that's the reason they're there.

There are already hundreds, thousands if not more other travel blogs that cover every destination and culture in much more detail than you could ever imagine and certainly much better than Lucky could do it. Quite frankly I and I imagine, most other readers, don't come to Omaat for their articles on destinations and culture, they come for the detailed discussion on airline and hotel products. It's how Omaat has built its success.
JonNYC, CodeAdam10 and cerps343 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks

Lucky has focused his blog primarily on airline cabins and hotel reviews simply because that's his niche, and that's where his expertise lies. Anyone who goes to Omaat knows that's what the site is about, and that's the reason they're there.

There are already hundreds, thousands if not more other travel blogs that cover every destination and culture in much more detail than you could ever imagine and certainly much better than Lucky could do it. Quite frankly I and I imagine, most other readers, don't come to Omaat for their articles on destinations and culture, they come for the detailed discussion on airline and hotel products. It's how Omaat has built its success.
You are of course correct about Ben's niche. But the larger point is that flying for the sake of flying was always an unsustainable lifestyle. As he has now conceded.

I'm happy for him that he is getting out and about and flexing his travel writing vs. transportation writing skills. And more happy to see him finding balance in life.
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:42 am

Hmm, of course? Ben is masterful at premium cabins and luxury hotels. The commentary on this thread is usually discussing the stuff outside this and/or what it might mean. Yes, this thread can bleed into jealousy, people with too much time on their hands, and over analyzing the wrong things, but you could say that about a lot of message forums.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
But the larger point is that flying for the sake of flying was always an unsustainable lifestyle. As he has now conceded.
Debatable. Yes, very few do what Lucky do, but there are plenty more pilots, flight attendants, etc that enjoy flying more or less for the sake of flying. It's not a completely bizarre concept that you need to "feel sorry" for those "missing out".
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:52 am

Debatable. Yes, very few do what Lucky do, but there are plenty more pilots, flight attendants, etc that enjoy flying more or less for the sake of flying. It's not a completely bizarre concept that you need to "feel sorry" for those "missing out".
This is an interesting point.

OTOH, typically a pilot is not permitted to fly more than 1,000 hours in a year, 125 hours in a month and 30 hours in a week. 12-15 days a month plus commuting and deadheading leaves a lot of time for a personal life.

I travel 100% of the time now. But I spend as little time as possible in airplanes and western hotels: that is the how of travel, not the what.

What Ben was doing was....different...than either pilots or me.

OTOH he made a hell of a lot more money than pilots or me....so there is that!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I strike it as belittling to the hard work of pilots and flight attendants who labor for a living to suggest that they fly "more or less for the sake of flying." It's not some volunteer gig. It's a job, and a hard one for which they should be paid more. It's insane to compare their hard work to Ben's lifestyle.
Moreover, most pilots and flight attendants have lives beyond the time they spend on planes and transiting cities, including families whom they treasure time with, community involvement, etc. Most also spend fewer nights sleeping in airplane seats or in hotel beds.

No one is dealing with a DYKWIA complaining about the lack of a PDB or helping shove an oversized carry-on into a bin "for the sake of flying."
84fiero, nancypants and zeer0 like this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:42 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I strike it as belittling to the hard work of pilots and flight attendants who labor for a living to suggest that they fly "more or less for the sake of flying." It's not some volunteer gig. It's a job, and a hard one for which they should be paid more. It's insane to compare their hard work to Ben's lifestyle.
Moreover, most pilots and flight attendants have lives beyond the time they spend on planes and transiting cities, including families whom they treasure time with, community involvement, etc. Most also spend fewer nights sleeping in airplane seats or in hotel beds.

No one is dealing with a DYKWIA complaining about the lack of a PDB or helping shove an oversized carry-on into a bin "for the sake of flying."
As noted above, I agree with you.

But wasn't Ben working at a job too? And earning way more than FAs or even pilots.

The phrase 'working smarter not harder' comes to mind.

Some say that Ben was 'lucky' (pun intended) that he was doing what he was doing during the credit card and manufactured spending bubble. I am one of them. But lots of other folks tried at the same but were not as successful during that period. Others sold too soon.

Honestly, his job looks like it was hell to me. Beyond the first and business class pampering it's just flying for the sake of flying...a fairly empty life . And watching him through his 20s, it's evident that his job took a toll on his body.

As someone who has benefited immensely from his work reviewing premium aircraft products, I appreciate his sacrifice...if you want to call it that.

And I wish him a happy retirement from that type of work.
B747-437B, GUWonder and Moderator2 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Feeling sorry for pilots or flight attendants making their money by flying is a bit like feeling sorry for Lucky making his money by flying. Pilots, FAs and miles/points/travel bloggers don't generally fall into the category of being indentured servants or otherwise forced to work by their employers/clients. Working for money is part of ordinary life, no matter how or how much the job keeps you or takes you from home and whether or not the person is single, coupled or otherwise has a family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.