Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
In a recent blog post about the Hanoi terminal 1 priority pass lounge I recommended the Chase Sapphire reserve...and then gave both Ben and Gary a shout-out link: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/03/11/...g-hong-lounge/
I hope they appreciate the business!

Lisa and I both have unlimited use of Priority Pass lounges at airports thanks to holding the Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa credit card. Chase Sapphire Reserve is the one card that travelers should all carry: triple points on dining and travel expenses and a host of other benefits.

I don’t get a commission or kick-back for saying that…it’s just true. The annual fee is high but if you maximize the benefits of the card you more than make up for that investment.

Check out your favorite points and miles credit card blogger like View From the Wing or One Mile at a Time for more details about that…and they will happily accept the affiliate revenue you generate for them from Chase in the process.
B747-437B and sriegert like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
This comment of Ben in the Bonvoy post is so weird it needs to be preserved here:

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...fluencer-trip/

This from a person who became a millionaire flogging credit cards.

Also:
The post is a bit odd considering that he did take free trips from SPG Stars. Did he explain what the difference is?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
When you are so deep in it...you believe your own [redacted].

Last edited by oliver2002; Mar 13, 2019 at 9:36 am Reason: lets not use one of the FCC seven words here please...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
I'm late to the party re: James' departure, I only found out on his IG last week.
No issues with his writing style & what he brought to OMAAT (besides his awesome hair) is that he covers non First or Business class & non 5 or 6 star uber luxury hotels & resorts which is quite a refreshing change from Lucky's (now Ben) sometimes OTT perspective.
I'm not a fan of Tiffany - she comes across as ... ( )

Is it just me or is Lucky (Ben .. whatever) churning out more posts daily since James' departure?
It's like a volume game for him now to make up for a writer leaving (for TPG UK ... urghhh)

And it's interesting that James' would leave a career in law to write full time for a travel blog - he did mention in his IG post that law wasn't really for him
I hope he's happy with the move & he likes working for TPG UK.
But their recent review of SQ JFK-FRA service really irked me ...

p/s TPG is definitely churning out more articles per day than any other blog out there
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
https://onemileatatime.com/travel-addiction/

What’s my point?
You might be saying “okay, great, what’s your point?”

LOL .. exactly

And I didn't realize that he's only 29yo ... and a millionaire
*wow*
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:10 am

He's 29 yo and a millionaire because he took something he was passionate about, worked hard for a long time and combined with luck, turned that into a very successful business. I feel like I'm in the minority here when I think that's worthy of commendation and not ridicule...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Kylie Jenner just beat Zuckerberg in becoming the youngest billionaire at 21 years. Kudos to Ben, but you can still make a comment that the sudden success also spared him a few experiences that make you a bit more mature at 29 years. To each their own. One danger of him dialling down his travel will be that is not the first kid on the block to review a new product, which is the USP of the site.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by kaffir76
https://onemileatatime.com/travel-addiction/

What’s my point?
You might be saying “okay, great, what’s your point?”

LOL .. exactly

And I didn't realize that he's only 29yo ... and a millionaire
*wow*
He keeps talking about 'traveling.' I still maintain that he rarely 'traveled.'

He flew a lot, that's for sure.

But when I quit my job to travel full time in January my intention was not to live on airplanes. That's crazy. And, as lucky has learned, unsustainable.

Traveling is about experiencing places and people beyond your seatmate in a business or first class cabin. It's about going to a place and then getting to experience and know it beyond the lobby, suite and lounge of a western hotel.

If lucky becomes a real traveler, good for him. If he becomes a homebody good for him.

What he was doing way always crazy. And i gained a lot from his reviews of premium cabins and western hotel suites and lounges.

But it was never travel.

Last edited by kokonutz; Mar 21, 2019 at 11:48 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:39 pm

If today's post on ethics isn't a massive stab at TPG then I don't know what is. I chuckled at the examples against each one, things which TPG seems to do against almost each point (while still maintaining "we never accept free flights" The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]).
84fiero, Adam1222 and stromile like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Maybe he had an offer from TPG which he found demeaning lol.
84fiero likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Was his blog ever about travel though?
I agree, he sure has flown a lot, but travelled, I dont think so (wasnt there a few awkward posts when he was taken out of his chain hotel comfort zone?).
But good for him turning his passion into million$ (although I do see some sort of weird jealousy towards TPG who clearly has made more millions, and has created a more profitable brand of himself)
SANspotter and kaffir76 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Was his blog ever about travel though?
I agree, he sure has flown a lot, but travelled, I dont think so (wasnt there a few awkward posts when he was taken out of his chain hotel comfort zone?).
But good for him turning his passion into million$ (although I do see some sort of weird jealousy towards TPG who clearly has made more millions, and has created a more profitable brand of himself)
I dunno, Ben has Ford to share his life and millions with. Brian has a jacket made of credit cards and his most recent intern. Wouldn't assume jealousy.

Ben is also younger and made his millions while retaining a lot more authenticity and independence. Some would say that's something he's rightfully proud of, not the "jealousy" term that gets thrown around here all the time whenever anyone criticizes a blogger.
flashware, 84fiero, GK8 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You could not find two more different characters than Ben and Brian. Ben genuinely does not want that sort of life (who does?).

Ask any ex-finance professional. It doesn't get better than being rich and anonymous. Rich and famous is a very bad second best. Nothing is as bad as being famous and poor, of course, where you have essentially given up your privacy and right to a private life for nothing.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz

He flew a lot, that's for sure.

But when I quit my job to travel full time in January my intention was not to live on airplanes. That's crazy. And, as lucky has learned, unsustainable.

Traveling is about experiencing places and people beyond your seatmate in a business or first class cabin. It's about going to a place and then getting to experience and know it beyond the lobby, suite and lounge of a western hotel.

If lucky becomes a real traveler, good for him. If he becomes a homebody good for him.

What he was doing way always crazy. And i gained a lot from his reviews of premium cabins and western hotel suites and lounges.

But it was never travel.
I do not get the feeling at all from Ben that he is trying to portray himself as a traveler who is looking to really authentically get to know places or possessing the grit to not use the products he enjoys and reviews. He seems to own the fact he is most comfortable in premium cabins, hired cars, and hotel lounges.
GK8 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I do not get the feeling at all from Ben that he is trying to portray himself as a traveler who is looking to really authentically get to know places or possessing the grit to not use the products he enjoys and reviews. He seems to own the fact he is most comfortable in premium cabins, hired cars, and hotel lounges.
Its tough to write up a meaningful blog post about experiencing a new destination when you didn't have training in writing. Aircraft cabin and hotel experiences can be described with some templates and a bit of creativity. I'm sure Ben did something outside the aircraft and hotel but didn't get it to publishing quality.
JonNYC and kaffir76 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.