Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
I don't like James or anybody else who is not Lucky writing on this blog.

Lucky has a long winded but personal and personable style that is drowned out by all other writers.
Long winded is a bit of an understatement. He has a clear template which is SEO optimized, hence the Introduction, Summary, it's all very repetitive. What annoys me most is when he's following up on an earlier story, but then rehashes the entire earleir story and you need to go to paragraph 8 to get the two lines of new information.
josephstern likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
maybe the package you were offering wasn't quite as attractive as you thought it was !
or maybe TPG offered him some sort of equity based deal ?
or it could just have been that TPG pursued him !
Agree, while the package may be "OK" for what the role is, it's far far below what he would have been earning based on experience/role type.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
According to his Instagram post announcing his move to TPG he quit his job as a lawyer to pursue TPG writing full time
Whaaaaat?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Whaaaaat?
So you'd be expecting TPG to be offering some form of package that looks something like £90k upwards.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
He would have been on good money as a 30 something lawyer in London. He might have wanted to quit and go full time but OMAAT couldn't offer that and the Head for Points role may have been too much a step down financially. TPG have have been able to make a better financial offer and meet his desire to do it full time. I wouldn't automatically assume there is any bad blood.
flashware likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
He would have been on good money as a 30 something lawyer in London. He might have wanted to quit and go full time but OMAAT couldn't offer that and the Head for Points role may have been too much a step down financially. TPG have have been able to make a better financial offer and meet his desire to do it full time. I wouldn't automatically assume there is any bad blood.
I don't think there's bad blood, his insta post was full of thanks to OMAAT. Given he took multiple months off to travel every year not sure how successful he was as a lawyer, may have been practicing independently or something.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I don't think there's bad blood, his insta post was full of thanks to OMAAT.
that only indicates that there's no ill will in one direction !
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Oh my, the shade being thrown at TPG on the Bonvoy Influencer post is AMAZING.
MEABFlyer, zeer0 and stromile like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
agreed, this has been a great run of content. i'm even checking TPG on occasion just to improve the odds that i catch lucky's punchlines
MEABFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Once Marriott offers a super duper affiliate income for their credit card all bets are off and its back to praising the virtues...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Once Marriott offers a super duper affiliate income for their credit card all bets are off and its back to praising the virtues...
Apparently Capital One does with its Savor card...where Lucky had to streeeetch himself to find even five reasons to sell it!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

This comment of Ben in the Bonvoy post is so weird it needs to be preserved here:

@ Daniel — It’s a perfectly fair question, and I appreciate that you’re asking it, so let me give a bit of background.First of all let me say that I have editorial independence from credit card issuers. I have affiliate links in one form or another from all the major issuers. Not once have I been told “your coverage of this card isn’t fair, please take it down.” Quite to the contrary, they encourage editorial independence, and me writing about how I feel about these cards. Credit cards are one of the best ways to earn miles & points and get premium travel for pennies on the dollar, and I’ve been writing about cards long before I’ve had affiliate links.Furthermore, nowadays the major issuers have “refer a friend” links, so using that logic, doesn’t that mean we’re all sort of biased if we’re recommend credit cards, since we can all earn some sort of commission from some cards?What it comes down to for me is that first and foremost I report to you guys. We have a huge readership and I’ve been blogging for over 11 years. This isn’t a job, this is my passion. I know that the reason people read is because for the most part they find what I have to say interesting and trust me, or something.At the same time, we also all have to make money somehow. The place I draw the line is that I don’t in any way have financial relationships with hotels or airlines. My goal is to showcase how miles & points can be used for travel, and showcase that in an unbiased way. I actively go out of my way to avoid getting any kind of special treatment from airlines and hotels.Furthermore, I think credit card reviews are fundamentally more objective than an influencer reviewing a hotel or airline with special treatment. Look at my valuations of miles & points, and I think you’ll find that most of them are fair, or at least that I don’t have any obvious biases there, aside from my personal travel preferences (which, again, are self funded). I do think some other sites inflate the value of points to help them sell credit cards, but my valuations are much more conservative. So when I review a credit card, I’m sharing how I value the return on spending by the card, etc.Long story short, I don’t think there’s a single business out there where everyone definitively agrees that they’re unbiased and that there’s not some potential conflict of interest. However, I do my best to be as unbiased as possible, and the place I draw the line is that I want to do everything in my power to give unbiased airline and hotel reviews, and showcase how miles can be used for that. I could go on and on, but hopefully that at least somewhat answers your question.

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...fluencer-trip/

This from a person who became a millionaire flogging credit cards.

Also:
@ JJJ — I appreciate the feedback. I always clearly disclose how I book my tickets. Sure, I sometimes pay for my tickets with cash, but I also redeem a lot of miles. And you’re right, I redeem a lot more miles than the average person. That’s because I largely buy them, and also because this is my job. I’ve never claimed that the average person can or should travel as much as I do — they’d have to quit their full time job — but rather I’ve claimed that most of the airlines I review and points hotels I stay at should be attainable for the “average” person using the credit credit cards with a bit of planning
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Ben makes a fair point though, which is that credit card rewards CAN be objectively valued which impacts the ability to skew coverage.

You can, of course, influence people in a particular direction by the volume of coverage you give one product over another but that is another issue.

Trust me from my own experience. Readers are not stupid and readers know a bad deal when they see one. I can pretty well predict what sort of traction an offer will get when I write about it. I also know that trying to promote stuff which I know is rubbish and, more importantly, that the readers will know is rubbish is pointless - you don't get any conversions anyway and the readers stop trusting you so you get a poorer response when the next genuinely good deal comes along.

If Ben gets the same approaches I get, you will also find that he has quietly had a hand in defining the benefits packages offered by certain cards. I have a meeting next week with a UK travel provider which wants my (unpaid) advice on what they should put into a new premium product - and the more attractive I can persuade them to make it, the more everyone benefits. Yes, I can sell more cards but readers will have a very attractive product to apply for.
Flamenguista and zeer0 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:31 am

For what it's worth, I find Lucky's repetitive and incorrect usage of "For what it's worth" annoying
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Ben makes a fair point though, which is that credit card rewards CAN be objectively valued which impacts the ability to skew coverage.

You can, of course, influence people in a particular direction by the volume of coverage you give one product over another but that is another issue.
Just take a look at the 'OMAAT PICK' tagged cards on this page: https://onemileatatime.com/best-travel-credit-cards/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.