One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I have had my small issues with Ben, but saying he won't fly AA preferentially, yet moved to Miami and is shocked AA will be the most convenient? Come on.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
this comment was allowed (not me!):

Ryan says:
January 10, 2019 at 8:53 pmUnited may have considered your past negative history with defrauding them, in deciding not to invite you. Actions have consequences.
Can someone point me to the real story of why he was banned? He glossed over it in the Rolling Stones piece and I've always been curious. Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dval44
Can someone point me to the real story of why he was banned? He glossed over it in the Rolling Stones piece and I've always been curious. Thanks.
Search within this thread under "e-certs" (or "certs") and "banned" and you'll find several discussions. Essentially, he found a way to fraudulently re-use UA e-certs (such as UA issued (at the time anyway) for VDBs and for customer service issues). It's likely the ban was from the MileagePlus program and not necessarily from flying UA metal.

There was a post on the old MilePoint, now InsideFlyer, with more detail, that I had linked to a few years ago - the link 404s now though.
dval44 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I saw Lucky in person once (many years ago) on a UA747 upper deck - flying Frankfurt to Washington. I got to talking to one of his chums seated across the aisle from me, and then I basically slept the rest of the flight. Fast forward to Monday and Ben is being interviewed by Richard Quest on CNN - doing a bit of a fluff piece on Cathay's 2 recent first class fare blunders. Lucky came across as friendly, knowledgeable and entertaining as he admitted he took advantage of 'just one First Class sale ticket' when he could have bought several. He showed a decent sense of humor. I remember how he blasted onto the Mileage Plus forum when he did his 10 back to back TPAC roundtrips in UA First Class and shared the experience. He definitely has the passion for aviation blogging and I enjoy reading OMAAT. Didn't know he got banned from UA Mileage Plus - but I never feel OMAAT is unfair to United. He holds up to his convictions but I feel he's open minded - if somewhat opinionated. That's why he is popular. So publicly complaining that UA didn't invite him to a Polaris function has probably more to do with keeping his name constantly trending. Not sure I would want to travel that much - maybe Ben feels the strain and is transitioning his career to be a smart, good-looking expert talking head that we so often see online and on TV. Or maybe not. I just enjoyed, and miss, his POV years ago when he was a very active poster in FT Mileage Plus forum. I understand he may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he keeps pushing the mysterious notion that frequent flyer programs can still be manipulated (maybe too far in some cases) to bring all of us very tangible benefits. Just my 2˘ worth!

Adam
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by adambrau
... keeping his name constantly trending.
years ago when he was a very active poster in FT Mileage Plus forum.
he keeps pushing the mysterious notion that frequent flyer programs can still be manipulated (maybe too far in some cases) to bring all of us very tangible benefits.
Keeping his name constantly trending helps sells more credit cards.
Posting in forums takes away valuable time selling more credit cards.
Keep pushing that notion sells more credit cards.
Markie and 84fiero like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Keeping his name constantly trending helps sells more credit cards.
Posting in forums takes away valuable time selling more credit cards.
Keep pushing that notion sells more credit cards.
I went back and spent a few hours this morning reading through this thread which I only found last evening. I had only skimmed the last two pages before my first posted remarks. It's actually kind of chilling to suddenly ingest years of an alternate reality of someone you actually never knew - as represented here by supporters, critics, and those just following the drama - and compare it to the happy online personality that burst upon the FT Mileage Plus forum so many years ago. This thread appears to signal that despite a pretty external picture, some sort of unknown turbulence is at hand. I hope a successful outcome is in the (right) cards for these guys. And no pun intended.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: UA
Ben owns and runs a very successful business and he is very good at what he does. In the early days he probably made more money from pointspros (I used him twice too) compared to credit card or blog related revenue. Now it makes him good money and he seems to enjoy what he does. Who would not like a job where he gets good money and (hopefully) enjoys doing it. The gravy train might stop one day but no reason for him to change his business while the times are good. At this time it is a large credit card marketing machine. He is probably thinking about the future as well but as long as the current setup is the most profitable why change it.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by adambrau
I went back and spent a few hours this morning reading through this thread which I only found last evening. I had only skimmed the last two pages before my first posted remarks. It's actually kind of chilling to suddenly ingest years of an alternate reality of someone you actually never knew - as represented here by supporters, critics, and those just following the drama - and compare it to the happy online personality that burst upon the FT Mileage Plus forum so many years ago. This thread appears to signal that despite a pretty external picture, some sort of unknown turbulence is at hand. I hope a successful outcome is in the (right) cards for these guys. And no pun intended.
Nowadays it's so easy to present a certain persona online, which often doesn't correlate fully, or at all, with the person's real life. Some day society will come to regret the extent to which we've collectively succumbed to the this. (There was a wonderful episode of South Park a couple of seasons ago that was excellent commentary on this.) But Lucky certainly isn't alone in that regard, of course.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
https://onemileatatime.com/vacation-rental-roach/

Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:45 pm

Was that post written by an 8 year old girl?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Does the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offer roach protection?
I thought that was limited to the Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite MasterCard®?
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by 84fiero
About Andrew
Andrew's work as a government employee has forced him to learn to find humor in every situation, which he believes is the key to enjoying travel. An aviation geek who had never flown in a premium cabin prior to winning a trip to Finland from One Mile at a Time, Andrew now uses miles, points, and elite status to up his globe trekking game. His favorite animal is the golden retriever.
At least he managed to insert an affiliate link to AirBnB and Chase...
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I have had my small issues with Ben, but saying he won't fly AA preferentially, yet moved to Miami and is shocked AA will be the most convenient? Come on.
That post along with a few other ones recently really irked me. He keeps talking like AA is the worst run airline in the country with the worst ontime stats. If you go through the BTS data for 2018 (Jan thru Oct as of right now available), you will see that DL mainline is the best of the majors for ontime with the lowest delay percentage and the lowest cancellation percentage by far. AA and UA are effectively the same when it comes to delay percentage, but UA cancels less. The average delay on AA is however the lowest and they have the greatest percentage of delays attributable to weather rather than mex. DL has a far greater percentage of mex relative to all its delays. This idea that AA is far behind DL and UA in timeliness is really not entirely borne out by the stats and doesn't mean Parker needs to be fired (although there may be other reasons that could be the right thing to do). How many issues one experiences also depends heavily on the market one flies out of and into...I fly in and out of EWR and UA has been super unreliable for me the last year or two on the outbounds. SO last year I started flying AA out of EWR and I have had a huge improvement with reliability as a result. YMMV...there is no universal truth. But all that whining gets on my nerve...if you don't like it, just put your dollars where the reliability is.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Brutal. Worth mentioning that this post was not written by Ben, but rather his contributor Andrew. As a resident of TX, I can confirm that bugs are a part of life here even if you have Terminix treat the outside of your house quarterly. When it rains heavily or it gets very dry, it drives bugs indoors. And it always will....OH...and my 8-year old daughter would have handled this situation far better than Andrew...
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
OMG...and the post about the Aeromexico redneck discount. How gullible is this guy?
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
That post along with a few other ones recently really irked me. He keeps talking like AA is the worst run airline in the country with the worst ontime stats. If you go through the BTS data for 2018 (Jan thru Oct as of right now available), you will see that DL mainline is the best of the majors for ontime with the lowest delay percentage and the lowest cancellation percentage by far. AA and UA are effectively the same when it comes to delay percentage, but UA cancels less. The average delay on AA is however the lowest and they have the greatest percentage of delays attributable to weather rather than mex. DL has a far greater percentage of mex relative to all its delays. This idea that AA is far behind DL and UA in timeliness is really not entirely borne out by the stats and doesn't mean Parker needs to be fired (although there may be other reasons that could be the right thing to do). How many issues one experiences also depends heavily on the market one flies out of and into...I fly in and out of EWR and UA has been super unreliable for me the last year or two on the outbounds. SO last year I started flying AA out of EWR and I have had a huge improvement with reliability as a result. YMMV...there is no universal truth. But all that whining gets on my nerve...if you don't like it, just put your dollars where the reliability is.

Brutal. Worth mentioning that this post was not written by Ben, but rather his contributor Andrew. As a resident of TX, I can confirm that bugs are a part of life here even if you have Terminix treat the outside of your house quarterly. When it rains heavily or it gets very dry, it drives bugs indoors. And it always will....OH...and my 8-year old daughter would have handled this situation far better than Andrew...
VFTW has been on a rampage against AA of late, as well. Which I guess isn't surprising since OMAAT and VFTW often simultaneously post on the same things. Though Gary is usually more broad in his complaints.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
OMG...and the post about the Aeromexico redneck discount. How gullible is this guy?
Pretty gullible evidently!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.