Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The day of reckoning is coming [split off from other threads]

Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I’m falling asleep within the first 2 paragraphs of every OMAAT post. He’s been doing the same thing since he was 17... and lately switched to only covering the airlines I’d never take.
I’ve switched channels along with it. I find the other bloggers posting stuff frequent flyers are interested in...
Especially because of the amount of rehash before you get to the meat of the post.

Try skipping the first two-thirds.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by josephstern
Especially because of the amount of rehash before you get to the meat of the post. Try skipping the first two-thirds.
And yet one of the most successful blogs ever. Plus, since most who comment here on the BBB are clueless, there are major changes none have seen (but may see soon).
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:09 pm

Just noticed this and not sure when it changed, but OMAAT no longer has .boardingarea. in the URL. I wonder if he is going to leave the platform? I'm sure Lucky has the clout to negotiate the best deal among the Boarding Area blogs.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by kilbornr
Just noticed this and not sure when it changed, but OMAAT no longer has .boardingarea. in the URL. I wonder if he is going to leave the platform? I'm sure Lucky has the clout to negotiate the best deal among the Boarding Area blogs.
Reasons why - Ben doesn't need BA, even if he was on a better deal (say 30% rather than 50%) he would still be paying at least $150,000 per year to BA; he could direct-sell more space for higher rates

Reasons why not - $150k is loose change for Ben and it drives some new readers, he would also need to add some freelance tech support

The real loss for people who go on BA is lack of revenue from home page views. My home page is 30% of views and so 30% of ad revenue. I never see the home pages of BA bloggers because I never visit them directly, I use the BA site as mega-home page equivalent. Coming off BA would see a lot more home page views from people who visited directly going forward.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
VFTW and OMAAT both have a great deal going with the HOM and Randy. Should Randy ever consider to sell BA to anyone, they should have clauses in their contracts to jump ship.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
VFTW and OMAAT both have a great deal going with the HOM and Randy. Should Randy ever consider to sell BA to anyone, they should have clauses in their contracts to jump ship.
mommypoints managed to jump ship even without a BA sale, right? If so, the BA bloggers definitely don't seem to be modern-day indentured servants or worse off.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VFTW and OMAAT both have a great deal going with the HOM and Randy.
I would put that the other way round.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kilbornr
I think it's been that way for quite some time. Other BA bloggers omit .boardingarea. in their URL as well - it doesn't mean anything one way or the other.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles

I would put that the other way round.

That's one way to put it.

"'Great deal' with" vs "great deal going with". But I hear you on that, even as we speak the same nominal language.

But inertia is inertia, and it seems like VFTW's principal is busy with more than just VFTW, and OMAAT is too. So leaving a chunk of money on the table as a gift for not having to pick up the dishes and stuff may just be par for the course, no less so when they sort of grew up eating at HOM with Randy Petersen and stirring the pot and splashing around with HOM/Randy Petersen.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 7, 2018 at 6:44 am
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I think it's been that way for quite some time.
No, there's definitely something different with the URL(s) than there used to be earlier this year when it comes to OMAAT on boardingarea.com.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GUWonder
mommypoints managed to jump ship even without a BA sale, right? If so, the BA bloggers definitely don't seem to be modern-day indentured servants or worse off.
As with everything else here in the peanut gallery we had this topic before. The conclusion last time was that the HOM nicely manages to keep its main light towers happy so they stay on. I doubt mommy points was one of them. Any BArea blogger is free to leave at any time, but the alternative is often daunting. Remember the exodus in 2010 or 11 where a group of BA bloggers opened a competing platform which crashed and burned due to insufficient resources? OTOH Randy can surely sell BArea rather easily if he ever decides to do so.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:23 pm
Suspended

As with everything else here in the peanut gallery we had this topic before. The conclusion last time was that the HOM nicely manages to keep its main light towers happy so they stay on. I doubt mommy points was one of them. Any BArea blogger is free to leave at any time, but the alternative is often daunting. Remember the exodus in 2010 or 11 where a group of BA bloggers opened a competing platform which crashed and burned due to insufficient resources? OTOH Randy can surely sell BArea rather easily if he ever decides to do so.
This member of the peanut gallery say that it will be sold eventually, just a matter of under what circumstances it will be sold.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i would think randy would not sell if he is majority owner (how old is he?)
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
If Randy sells to TPG... I quit!

I agree with GUWonder that something is definitely different with OMAAT's url this time... #developing ?

In the meantime, Ben takes his dad around for yet another trip...Does he still do the pics of the small white towels? The cans of Diet Coke?

Maybe I should do a poll for what is next for Ben?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i would think randy would not sell if he is majority owner (how old is he?)
Randy is winding down - read the interview he gave this week (forgot which blog).

I believe - please correct me if I'm wrong - that he's sold his office complex recently. Here is the listing for it from 2016: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1989...do-Springs-CO/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.