Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 8:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The mass of reviews alone makes sure VFTW and OMAAT bring in most of the ad impressions on BArea. That is easy money for them and should pay nicely for the additional writers both of them have.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:51 pm

anybody see that Blacklane article today?

The writing goal was clearly to bend over backwards and insert as many affiliate links as possible. There are over 30 identical links to Blacklane.

This is the watershed in the transformation of OMAAT from personal blog to a sterile production a la TPG.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355
This is the watershed in the transformation of OMAAT from personal blog to a sterile production a la TPG.
Seriously?

Where have you u been bro?
Old May 25, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Euro 25 commission on Blacklane sign-ups IIRC
Old May 26, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
It must be a find-replace mistake. Right?
Old May 29, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: UA
Ben got quoted a lot in the article here:

Why first-class plane tickets are so expensive - INSIDER
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:22 am

OK, disclaimer. I like Lucky, quite a bit. His articles / writing style / frequency / coverage all works for me, and gave me my MBA in Points pretty effectively and quickly. Also, I am sensitive to snobs, but he does not trigger my snob radar either (I realize many on this thread do not agree). Watching his videos I think gave me context. I tend to think I can read people well.

Anyways, I just HAD to point this out...

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....ing-new-hotel/

This guy that wrote into Lucky, and SPG warned, is gross as hell. He is exceptionally fortunate that all he got was an email warning.

How the hell did Lucky not call this guy out for being out of line?!?! Real talk: I realize Lucky is not going to receive an absurd email and then write an article making a mockery of a reader. But, the best course of action seems to be NOT to write an article and not call this guy out. Seems like he is taking fence-sitting to an extreme by using the reader as an example to write a novel article (kudos for that, I guess), but he doesn't want to anger the reader for writing in and saying how offensive and dumb his behavior is, in public (even though it's anonymous).

Have a nice day everyone!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I am sensitive to snobs, but he does not trigger my snob radar either
Agree, although I've never met Lucky in person, and actually I've stopped following his posts for some time, so I don't know if he has evolved negatively.

But, it was clear from his recollection of personal travel experiences that he's very agreeable and forgiving of others. He's not the type to shout people down.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:57 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
OK, disclaimer. I like Lucky, quite a bit. His articles / writing style / frequency / coverage all works for me, and gave me my MBA in Points pretty effectively and quickly. Also, I am sensitive to snobs, but he does not trigger my snob radar either (I realize many on this thread do not agree). Watching his videos I think gave me context. I tend to think I can read people well.

Anyways, I just HAD to point this out...

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....ing-new-hotel/

This guy that wrote into Lucky, and SPG warned, is gross as hell. He is exceptionally fortunate that all he got was an email warning.

How the hell did Lucky not call this guy out for being out of line?!?! Real talk: I realize Lucky is not going to receive an absurd email and then write an article making a mockery of a reader. But, the best course of action seems to be NOT to write an article and not call this guy out. Seems like he is taking fence-sitting to an extreme by using the reader as an example to write a novel article (kudos for that, I guess), but he doesn't want to anger the reader for writing in and saying how offensive and dumb his behavior is, in public (even though it's anonymous).

Have a nice day everyone!
Lucky is an expert on scamming a program so badly that one gets their account closed. ^
B747-437B, izzik, cawhite and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

But, the best course of action seems to be NOT to write an article and not call this guy out. Seems like he is taking fence-sitting to an extreme by using the reader as an example to write a novel article (kudos for that, I guess), but he doesn't want to anger the reader for writing in and saying how offensive and dumb his behavior is, in public (even though it's anonymous).
You're not thinking about it with the blogger's mindset - almost anything can be an excuse to make a post, which draws eyeballs and clicks (and maybe some conversions). Why do you think some blogs have umpteen million posts about everything from the mundane to the scandalous to the actually important? Or thinly veiled "should I get...?" posts? Or posts every time there is an onboard incident involving bodily functions?

Now that doesn't mean there isn't also the intent to inform readers, as well. But what would be more interesting - a sterile "Hey guys be careful Starwood may be doing this...." or beginning with a (supposed) reader email? A bit of personal interest angle never hurts.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
You're not thinking about it with the blogger's mindset - almost anything can be an excuse to make a post, which draws eyeballs and clicks (and maybe some conversions). Why do you think some blogs have umpteen million posts about everything from the mundane to the scandalous to the actually important? Or thinly veiled "should I get...?" posts? Or posts every time there is an onboard incident involving bodily functions?

Now that doesn't mean there isn't also the intent to inform readers, as well. But what would be more interesting - a sterile "Hey guys be careful Starwood may be doing this...." or beginning with a (supposed) reader email? A bit of personal interest angle never hurts.
I do not care about the article. He is a blogger, he has to write them. It's not even a bad topic.

I am just questioning pussy footing around and letting the absurd reader off the hook. Maybe the United thing wasn't just youthful indiscretion after all. I think this Iberia thing is incredibly tacky, after all.

Booking flights like hungry leeches that you won't fly to get miles at any cost. Yay? Churn a card, buy miles at a discount, work a side hustle if you need more cash. Come on people.
cruisr and 84fiero like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by josephstern
Well, I fell for the "tip" mentioned in the (now removed) blog post titled:

"How To Earn 3x Points (Or More) For Paying Your Taxes By Credit Card"

I have only myself to blame for this of course.

Just in case anyone else is tempted by the idea that you could get 3x for paying taxes with Amex Checkout, no tax provider qualifies for the bonus.

Yes, a tax provider is mentioned on the bonus page (some lack of clarity from Amex there) but not all vendors on the bonus page qualify for the bonus - they just all accept Amex Checkout.
I'm not a fan of deleting posts rather than just saying oops. But it's back again:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...rean-air-amex/
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I believe today is the big day.

Congratulations Ben and Ford!
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by work2fly
I believe today is the big day.

Congratulations Ben and Ford!
If so, many congratulations and all the best.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I suppose with the boss on vacation the editorial control let a trip report to the Azores by 'James' slip thru, which did not include any airline cabin or US chain hotel. Not even a link to a credit card!
JonNYC, fartoomanyusers and dfw88 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.