One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Those who were hoping for Ben to "spread his wings" a bit more in the locations he visits, will be disappointed in his current trip to Easter Island. He's staying at the all-inclusive Explora Rapa Nui luxury resort (part of Explora boutique hotel group) with its pre-arranged daily itineraries, etc. Which is what some people prefer and isn't wrong, though it's a shame IMHO, as Easter Island is an ideal place to just freestyle where your rental 4x4 and map take you that day. And there are tons of locally owned properties of various types including B&B type places with homemade breakfast and in-room wifi if you want - for way less than what Explora charges, even factoring in the food and activities.

But in any case what appears to be his first post of the trip is bemoaning that the hotel "forces you to disconnect" with *gasp* limited wifi only in public places and no internet or TV in the rooms! You see, he's a very busy man who is constantly working!

He asks readers their opinions of being "forced" to disconnect.

But a lot of people who travel (and especially those staying at expensive hotels) do need to work, and disconnecting for extended periods isn't an option. Everyone else here seems fine with it, but then again, we seem to be the only people here who aren't retired.
A number of reader comments point out that he wasn't forced to disconnect, as he could have chosen another property with in-room wifi if that was important to him. And he indicates that he was aware of the wifi situation prior to booking so I don't know why he's complaining now.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
There is also pretty decent 3G coverage on Easter Island. if it has that important I would hope/imagine someone like him has a decent international data plan and he could just tether in his room. I remember my phone being faster then the in room wifi where I stayed I ended up using that to make calls/etc...Guess it depends on where you are staying. I mean it is one of the most remote islands in the world if you need gigabit internet speeds at all time, maybe that isn't the place to be.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:46 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Those who were hoping for Ben to "spread his wings" a bit more in the locations he visits, will be disappointed in his current trip to Easter Island. He's staying at the all-inclusive Explora Rapa Nui luxury resort (part of Explora boutique hotel group) with its pre-arranged daily itineraries, etc. Which is what some people prefer and isn't wrong, though it's a shame IMHO, as Easter Island is an ideal place to just freestyle where your rental 4x4 and map take you that day. And there are tons of locally owned properties of various types including B&B type places with homemade breakfast and in-room wifi if you want - for way less than what Explora charges, even factoring in the food and activities.

But in any case what appears to be his first post of the trip is bemoaning that the hotel "forces you to disconnect" with *gasp* limited wifi only in public places and no internet or TV in the rooms! You see, he's a very busy man who is constantly working!

He asks readers their opinions of being "forced" to disconnect.

A number of reader comments point out that he wasn't forced to disconnect, as he could have chosen another property with in-room wifi if that was important to him. And he indicates that he was aware of the wifi situation prior to booking so I don't know why he's complaining now.
Was it maybe comped?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Was it maybe comped?
I don't believe so as he says

While it’s not cheap, they were running a promotion when we booked
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
4th day of 2018. Already a dozen credit card blog posts. Pump pump pummmmmmp those referral links Lucky!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by hockeystl
4th day of 2018. Already a dozen credit card blog posts. Pump pump pummmmmmp those referral links Lucky!
New year, new...err...same old me?!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well 2018 bought personal CSR affiliate links
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Ah yes that's true! I can almost hear Auld Lang Syne playing softly in the background right now...

A post today is titled "Is the Hyatt Credit Card Worth the Annual Fee?"

...you won't believe what the answer is!!!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Ohhh that explains Lucky and Gary's simultaneous posts on a CSR review.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: LH HON
At least he's going to experience Tibet this year, as he found out to like nature places. A true classic Tibet experience on the horizon at the St. Regis!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
AND Hyatt Visa ones!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:39 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I don't believe so as he says

When the vloggers on Youtube hit a 100,000 followers, all the travel suppliers provide them with whatever they need, as long as the travel supplier is featured in the vlog. OMAAT has way over 100,000 followers. I am sure the Easter Island trip was comped. If not, it was highly discounted. Otherwise he would not be going to Easter Island since it isn't a place that miles/points people go.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by not2017
When the vloggers on Youtube hit a 100,000 followers, all the travel suppliers provide them with whatever they need, as long as the travel supplier is featured in the vlog. OMAAT has way over 100,000 followers. I am sure the Easter Island trip was comped. If not, it was highly discounted. Otherwise he would not be going to Easter Island since it isn't a place that miles/points people go.
While he may be shady about not promoting non-affiliate-link credit cards, I've never seen any evidence or gotten the sense that Ben doesn't disclose comped trips, etc. In the past he has disclosed such comps. There are things to be critical of with OMAAT lying by omission about comped trips doesn't seem to be one of them, unless there is some actual evidence to the contrary.

People who are into miles & points do indeed go to Easter Island. I went last year and other FTers have. Besides, except when it comes to promoting CC affiliate links, Ben isn't so much into miles at this point as he once was, as evidenced by how often he purchases revenue tickets, even for J/F.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:47 am

Some bold claims being made about not ever asking for free handouts. I think it has been pointed out that his contributors have taken free handouts without disclosing. I know Daniel had a trip to the Middle East and didn’t disclose that they were free stays on each review. Also begs the question if he asked for free stays or the hotels reached out to him. He doesn’t seem to have a significant following. So he either asked or the hotels offered it to OMAAT.

At the end of the day Ben may not directly ask for a free stay, but he has been know to frequently reach out to hotels prior to his stay to let them know he will be gracing them with his presence and how “excited” he is to stay with them. Not as bad as pandering for free stays, but typically those suite upgrades cost more than the basic rooms. So in my opinion he is still playing the social media influncer game. An unbiased review would be him using an alias and also using a secondary social media account to reach out to hotels when things go wrong as to not get preferential treatment.

Maybe that is why some choose to call them trip reports vs hotel reviews? I think Ben is talented and I enjoy his content for the most part, but I think the hotel was in the right to call out the behavior.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I think you guys are taking these TRs too seriously. In the end of the day it's about entertainment, not journalism.

Even if he doesn't email ahead, most companies do their research and know who they need to please. I'm sure he didn't tell El Al or Etihad that he was flying them, but both showered him with things that regular customers wouldn't get and even boasted online about his flying experience.

I think the vast majority of readers understand all that and are just fine with that.
JonNYC and CodeAdam10 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.