Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
He was not banned simply for taking bumps. The story is more involved than that.
I always wondered why Ben disappeared from the UA forum several years ago. We lost several other regulars around that same time too...

Thanks for sharing the insight Seth.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by josephstern
Frankly, the idea of traveling elite for free is great. But if that's all there is to it, why blog about it? Amazing that the interview didn't even try to go there.
Well, it was fundamentally a puff piece, and a way for the writer to jet around the world on his company's dime... in-depth isn't a requirement in these situations.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:45 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
As for how he paid for his youthful travels, that's actually in many of the early blog entries. Which I've actually read. It's not some weird, hard-to-penetrate secret. None of that stuff would've ever been for me, but it still astonishes me how close you could come in those now bygone days to creating the air-travel equivalent of a perpetual motion machine.
Could you elaborate for those of us who did not follow back in the day/are too lazy to do the research? I know I was a very, very frequent flyer back then and never came close to finding a perpetual motion machine!

Unless you are talking about fraudulently using the same UA voucher over and over again...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: Various
Ahum, Tracer, you know his mother's a hairdresser, right?

I have no more idea about his family's wealth than you really do. But based on the foregoing, my unsubstantiated surmise is that his family has no real wealth, "substantial" or otherwise. Or maybe it just depends on how you define "wealth" and "substantial."
More interesting is usually what the father's occupation is/was.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Sure.

What I remember reading is this. Back then you could often snag transcon roundrip tickets for some $200. Routing rules back then were practically non-existent, too, and you could just about always do some semi-insane criss-crossing multi-multi-multi-leg route. And then, on top of that -- and with experience and skill -- you could also very often get a bump voucher by strategically picking your flights and aggressively volunteering. If I recall correctly, the bump vouchers back then were only $200 or so . . . but enough for the next set of flights . . . especially since scoring more than one voucher on a single itinerary wasn't that hard. (If I'm remembering right, one trip even netted $800 in vouchers.) Pretty amazing, at least to a non-"hobbyist" like me.

All that stuff is long gone, sadly, from today's world. The mileage running, routing, everything.

Any extracurricular activity with a voucher obviously wouldn't have been a part of any blog post I ever read. (Any funny business along those lines would've helped, clearly.)

But I did have one HUGE unanswered question -- which no one else seems to have. How on earth could he spend all that time travelling and yet be a supposedly full-time student??

Well, time has finally supplied me with the answer. First, a couple of my inlaws have now gotten doctorates from UF and have told me, in detail, what that place is like -- at least at the undergraduate level. Enough said. Second, we can all now more clearly see from the blog and the TV interviews what a truly sharp guy Ben really is, especially compared to the average undergraduate. And third, I hadn't originally realized he was majoring in "marketing." Most of you will know what that means. So 1 + 1 + 1 = Lots of free time. QED
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Could you elaborate for those of us who did not follow back in the day/are too lazy to do the research? I know I was a very, very frequent flyer back then and never came close to finding a perpetual motion machine!

Unless you are talking about fraudulently using the same UA voucher over and over again...
Back in the day (mid-2000s), someone with time on their hands could check loads, identify flights likely to oversell, book them, show up and as a 1K, be on the top of the list to collect a bump voucher of $200+. You could do this multiple times on a busy holiday weekend.

$200 was the going 'sale' rate for a transcon, and originating in TPA, you could work a routing up and down each coast in addition to the 2 transcons...7500+ EQMs, 15,000+ RDMs and all paid for with the bump voucher. Given mom and dad dropping you off at the airport, you wouldn't even be out of pocket for parking.

Do this 6 times and you have 90,000 RDMs, which was enough for biz class award to Europe/Asia. Little to no out of pocket.

Not to mention disfunctional seats, IFE, bad meal, whatever to get additional $ voucher or miles compensation.....

Last edited by work2fly; Jul 30, 2015 at 10:26 am Reason: edited to add: Basically what FallenPlat said right above
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:36 am

But I did have one HUGE unanswered question -- which no one else seems to have. How on earth could he spend all that time travelling and yet be a supposedly full-time student??
OMAAT has said he chose Tuesday/Thursday classes so he would have 4-day weekends to travel.

I hadn't originally realized he was majoring in "marketing." Most of you will know what that means.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Sure.

What I remember reading is this. Back then you could often snag transcon roundrip tickets for some $200. Routing rules back then were practically non-existent, too, and you could just about always do some semi-insane criss-crossing multi-multi-multi-leg route. And then, on top of that -- and with experience and skill -- you could also very often get a bump voucher by strategically picking your flights and aggressively volunteering. If I recall correctly, the bump vouchers back then were only $200 or so . . . but enough for the next set of flights . . . especially since scoring more than one voucher on a single itinerary wasn't that hard. (If I'm remembering right, one trip even netted $800 in vouchers.) Pretty amazing, at least to a non-"hobbyist" like me.

All that stuff is long gone, sadly, from today's world. The mileage running, routing, everything.

Any extracurricular activity with a voucher obviously wouldn't have been a part of any blog post I ever read. (Any funny business along those lines would've helped, clearly.)

Well, time has finally supplied me with the answer. First, a couple of my inlaws have now gotten doctorates from UF and have told me, in detail, what that place is like -- at least at the undergraduate level. Enough said. Second, we can all now more clearly see from the blog and the TV interviews what a truly sharp guy Ben really is, especially compared to the average undergraduate. And third, I hadn't originally realized he was majoring in "marketing." Most of you will know what that means. So 1 + 1 + 1 = Lots of free time. QED
that's NOT what got UA angry enough to kick him out. he used the same certificate over and over and over again due to a glitch in their system. It is not fraud to be bumped and get vouchers it is fraud to use a certificate over and over again. Let's say the value was $200.00 and he used that same certificate 20 times. you are supposed to get a value of 200. NOT 4000. That is fraud
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
Frankly, the idea of traveling elite for free is great. But if that's all there is to it, why blog about it? Amazing that the interview didn't even try to go there.
This. But you have to remember that for a majority of millennials, fame is the most important thing. Core values like family, independence, privacy, marriage are simply less important to them on average (at least for now). And that is the RS audience. A deep exploration of Ben's psyche would be yawn inducing to them no matter how much could be gleaned from it.

So that's why RS did not explore it and other publications won't either.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:01 am

Oh come now, Cruisr. Reread what I said. Of course United wouldn't have gotten mad at him for doing what I describe.

And, equally obviously, they would've likely gotten annoyed for any of what I called "extracurricular activity" in my post. If any. Wink.

As a separate point, it's been said in several places that Ben's father was a banker. That obviously covers a fair amount of real estate and, by itself, doesn't say very much one way or the other.

I have to admit that I've got zero interest in Ben's personal life and less than zero interest in his parents' lives. Way less than zero. Still less interest in discussing any of it.

Oh, and thanks for the reminder about the class selection thing. I'd forgotten but, yes, there was that as well.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by cruisr
that's NOT what got UA angry enough to kick him out. he used the same certificate over and over and over again due to a glitch in their system. It is not fraud to be bumped and get vouchers it is fraud to use a certificate over and over again. Let's say the value was $200.00 and he used that same certificate 20 times. you are supposed to get a value of 200. NOT 4000. That is fraud
FallenPlat was addressing our EM&PR Forum Thought Leader's question about the self-funding aspect of The Hobby.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Ahum, Tracer, you know his mother's a hairdresser, right?
From page 37 of this thread:
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
His dad worked for a bank according to the article. What it doesn't say but is easy to guess is what kind of bank it was. The Linkedin profile of, I presume, his brother Michael reveals he's a VP at [redacted]. Hid dad Arnold used to be the New York general manager of [redacted]bank (today merged into [redacted]bank). Not exactly poor people.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:41 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by work2fly
FallenPlat was addressing our EM&PR Forum Thought Leader's question about the self-funding aspect of The Hobby.
Indeed. And addressed it thoroughly, with my thanks. The key, it seems, was to have a medium-sized bankroll along with unlimited time and chutzpah. ^ That and be willing to fly transcon in coach a lot.

But for God's sake, don't use the H word. You're better than that. We all are. @:-)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and back in much older day, something (not ben) re refunding F at gate

seem to recall biggest bump runners (not ben) saying game has changed

are some claiming ben did NOT talk about family trips to germany? he did

Originally Posted by Raffles
Remember that only MMS, TPG and Points Guy did enough Amex volume to retain their links - with everyone else chopped, even Ben and Gary.
FTG was acquired by IB
TPG was acquired by bankrate

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...late-post.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 30, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:29 pm

Actually he was a (mileage-running) United 1K almost from the start and so flew in upgraded F most of the time. But I still agree 100% -- brutal no matter how you slice it. Being young helps, I would presume.

And, yes, absolutely, Ben has blogged quite a bit about all those youthful family trips to Germany. Not an impoverished lifestyle by any means.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.