Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Anyone else here think a nice thourough audit by the IRS is coming?
He has tons of income as an affiliate of Chase, Citi, Amex, Barclays, etc.

I'm sure his 1040 or 1120 looks pretty legit on the income side.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
We're not outsmarting the airlines, we're outsmarting everyone else!

NYT: How Much Credit Card Rewards Cost the Poor

Shocked I haven't seen this argument brought up in the comments section of all of the media coverage. There are a lot of negative comments directed towards Ben beyond what we talk about here. Though no one really points out that he is one of the top promoters of award credit cards. This short opinion article from the New York Times. Do award credit cards really increase the price you pay on every day products?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I was just thinking that as well.
While IRS agents may not read RS I am sure some would watch Night Line or see Yahoo News. Ben would be a very nice "gotcha".
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
He has tons of income as an affiliate of Chase, Citi, Amex, Barclays, etc.

I'm sure his 1040 or 1120 looks pretty legit on the income side.
It's not the income that could get him, it's the deductions. Hopefully his accountant is good
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
NYT: How Much Credit Card Rewards Cost the Poor

Shocked I haven't seen this argument brought up in the comments section of all of the media coverage. There are a lot of negative comments directed towards Ben beyond what we talk about here. Though no one really points out that he is one of the top promoters of award credit cards. This short opinion article from the New York Times. Do award credit cards really increase the price you pay on every day products?
OMG, before I clicked on it I thought the NYT has written an opinion piece on Ben and the HOBBY.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Hey remember the Etihad Residences experience that was very important to pitch in and help Ben fly on (all for the reader, of course) and anyone who didn't support the campaign was just a hater?

Well, good thing the Kickstarter failed because The Residences aren't all that anyway:

I’d say that the First Class Apartment actually outshined The Residence, which is the part of the plane which got the most attention. The Residence is a private, three room suite (you have a living room, bedroom, and private bathroom with shower) with butler service. It’s unlike anything which has ever been offered in commercial aviation… and not surprisingly it came at a steep price tag.
Somebody has a bowl full of sour grapes...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
It's not the income that could get him, it's the deductions. Hopefully his accountant is good
But they're legit!

He has to show this jet-set lifestyle to entice people to follow his program! Yes, he spends an insane amount on upscale travel. It's all for the viewer!

Seems like a very, very easy explanation to the IRS to me.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:47 pm

At heart, aren't all of these bloggers just current version of people like Tom Vu and other hucksters?

Tom Vu and his ilk purported to show you how to buy distressed property with no money down, but in reality, they were selling a lifestyle.

The customer was YOU - YOU paid for the seminar or the book or the complete package in three easy payments plus shipping and handling. These guys were never about buying the real estate themselves, or they weren't for long, anyway. They were trying to capitalize on their systems. If they really wanted to score big with real estate, they wouldn't be out preaching their systems and seminars and generating tons of competitors for the distressed properties. They'd be buying the distressed properties as quietly as possible.

Ben doesn't sell a seminar - he gets affiliate credit for your credit card signup. Effectively, same thing.

So Tom Vu drove his Rolls full of women in bikinis to his yacht.

Ben's analog is drinking Krug on a rose petal bed in a Singapore Suite.

Tom had to make the lifestyle look appealing to fill seats. Ben has to make the lifestyle appealing to get those credit card apps. Tom wasn't about the real estate - it was a means to an end: money.

Tom's customer was you. Ben's customer is you.
Nailed it.

He couldn't give a rat's a** about MS. He doesn't need it.

If he gets 10 CC signups a day @ $300 per, he grosses over a million a year.

10 a day? Easy. Probably just gets that from the FT cohort.

With this article? He could be getting 100 a day.

Get publicity. Sell your brand. Make people want what you demonstrate.

Oh - and who cares if they end up holding balances or paying annual fees or doing bad redemptions.

He and all of the other bloggers who are young and smart and got in early are making a mint. They can afford to pay for first class fares.

How many times can we hear about the Citi Prestige ($300 for your successful app - thank you!) versus the Citi Premier (just a bit less - thank you!) or versus the Amex Platinum (even more - really, really thanks!)?

These guys all drool when a new twist comes out - it's a whole other slew of comparisons and BS interspersed with pictures of amazing treatment for the elitist of travelers. Want that? Get this card! Well, maybe not exactly, but kinda.

He's not quite ZZZZ Best, but he's definitely demonstrating one thing, and selling another. There's some term for that . . .
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:48 pm

But they're legit!

He has to show this jet-set lifestyle to entice people to follow his program! Yes, he spends an insane amount on upscale travel. It's all for the viewer!

Seems like a very, very easy explanation to the IRS to me.
LOL. that sounds like some guy running a Ponzi scheme explaining to the IRS that he needs to deduct all his business expenses to get new suckers to join as his old suckers have cashed out (or in the case of Chase and Amex CCs, reached their lifetime limit). It may be legit but I don't think it'd be easy to explain.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
LOL. that sounds like some guy running a Ponzi scheme explaining to the IRS that he needs to deduct all his business expenses to get new suckers to join as his old suckers have cashed out (or in the case of Chase and Amex CCs, reached their lifetime limit). It may be legit but I don't think it'd be easy to explain.
Can a strip club justify the cost of g-strings to the IRS? A gun range, bullets? Robert Parker, insanely expensive wine?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Can a strip club justify the cost of g-strings to the IRS? A gun range, bullets? Robert Parker, insanely expensive wine?
The girls can deduct the g-string costs. Or, so I've heard.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
My goodness but that takes me back. Tom Vu and ZZZZ Best! My other favorite was First Jersey Securities. (Wonderful commercials, good visuals.) Nice line about MS, too. Or at least it made me laugh.

But, really, I think you've gone too far and have lost perspective a bit. The credit card stuff, the redemptions, and the product reviews are all pretty straightforward, so far as they go. After all, we've all used the techniques. Or at least I hope we have.

But I think you're right that the over-all lifestyle, as opposed to specific individual techniques, isn't really replicable. I'm also not sure what the future of card churning is since the bigger card companies -- Chase, Amex, Citi -- seem to be tightening up.

Low-level "saver" space redemptions also seem to be getting tougher to find -- which, by the way, is one reason why the Prestige card is so great. Any seat, any time at 1.6 cents; Admirals Club access; lots of 3x and 2x on the earning side; and a $100/year net fee for me. It ain't all snake oil, folks.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by FreakingFlyer
If he gets 10 CC signups a day @ $300 per, he grosses over a million a year.
<snip>
How many times can we hear about the Citi Prestige ($300 for your successful app - thank you!) versus the Citi Premier (just a bit less - thank you!) or versus the Amex Platinum (even more - really, really thanks!)?
Do credit card companies really pay bounties of $300 per app???

$30 per I could see, but $300? If that's true -- WOW
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
[QUOTE=Tracer_SEA;25192254]Do credit card companies really pay bounties of $300 per app???

$30 per I could see, but $300? If that's true -- WOW[/

I understand that the bounty can be as high as $500 to $525 for certain cards.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Do credit card companies really pay bounties of $300 per app???

$30 per I could see, but $300? If that's true -- WOW
From what I have heard, yes but there is also a range and I believe that is the highest. Most of the "Titans" like the Rock Star and his "apprentices" are in it for the $$$$. Nothing wrong with that, they should just drop the acts that they are offering these CC links for the sole purpose of allowing their readers to travel "free". They are offering the CCs so they can make money and pay for their own tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.