Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Some parts of me are annoyed about being the part of "a group called Hobbyists", while other parts are incessantly amused.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:24 am

"So this guy somehow equates a rootless existence with no family and no productive work with a New Age paradise? Hard to believe someone wanted to break up with him...

BTW, if there's a more putrid form of hell on earth than being a professional airline passenger, I'm not sure what it is."

BTW, this guy is single-handedly destroying what's left in this "Hobby"...
Again, out of words.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I caught up just now at my favorite Panera and I am feeling...angry.

Oh the [bleep] onboard shower again...

Sell it Boy!

Last edited by oliver2002; Jul 24, 2015 at 12:49 am Reason: misspelled profanity is still profanity
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:24 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Why always so "Angry"??

Originally Posted by gpapadop
I caught up just now at my favorite Panera and I am feeling...angry.

Oh the [bleep] onboard shower again...

Sell it Boy!
Want some Cheese with your Whine?

The reason we play this game is because at times the cost of travel is too good to be true. FT, blogs, word of mouth has been spreading this story for years and you expected something different?

You write a blog about travel hacking as well and pimp for credit card sign ups while condemning others for the same behavior. You are contributing to the spreading of information yourself, yet seem to think Ben is a bad boy because he got lucky and caught a bigger audience. Every one of you whining about the spreading of information is a hypocrite if you told your success stories to even one person.

And this media blitz won't kill the hobby. It will just add a few more players to an evolving game

Last edited by oliver2002; Jul 24, 2015 at 12:49 am Reason: readacted the quote
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Front page of Yahoo. If people think this thread is negative towards Ben check out those comments...
In fact the "subtitle" headline link on Yahoo is the quote "The people who run these programs are idiots – and we’ll always be one step ahead." Nice

Drawing negative attention to the miles & points world is not good for anyone in the long run. While one would likely never be able to point to one particular article as the sole executioner for the good times miles & points, this RS article and its aftermath can't help but be another nail in the coffin.

And how much will this inspire a few other blog personalities to try and get their own sensationalist "journalism" exposure akin to this, with more potentially negative attention?

And yeah the Yahoo comments are entertaining...

I understand the flying is free but what does he do after reaching his destination? Spend money then fly again? For what? To earn more mileage for more free flying? His life is just a vicious cycle without any meaningful purpose.
Sitting in an airline passenger seat for 6 hours a day, isn't a reward, it's punishment.
And to what purpose? The article doesn't mention if he actually spends any time at his destinations.
Calling them idiots for assuming good will is pretty crass.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 84fiero
In fact the "subtitle" headline link on Yahoo is the quote "The people who run these programs are idiots – and we’ll always be one step ahead." Nice

Drawing negative attention to the miles & points world is not good for anyone in the long run. While one would likely never be able to point to one particular article as the sole executioner for the good times miles & points, this RS article and its aftermath can't help but be another nail in the coffin.

And how much will this inspire a few other blog personalities to try and get their own sensationalist "journalism" exposure akin to this, with more potentially negative attention?

And yeah the Yahoo comments are entertaining...
Being nasty also destroys public goodwill towards those reaping the rewards in the programs, which bolsters the position of the airlines.

As far as the comments go, they are obviously right. If you read Lucky's trip reports, you'll know that he rarely eats local food at local places for example which is a shame. In that department, guys like Wandering Aramean or Gary add far more to a trip report for a guy like me...
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I've lived through many situations such as this in my life. In short, there will always be opportunities . . . just new ones, always new ones.

I think it's more useful to view it all like surfing: sure, this wave might be almost over, but there's always another one. Sometimes the waves are bigger, sometimes smaller. New waves come along just the same. Always.

So there will continue to be exploitable inefficiencies, or arbitrage opportunities if you will -- just different ones. And as is always true of arbitrage, getting better information than anyone else quicker than anyone else, and having the nerve and the perspicacity to act on it first, will be key. Lots of people have made a very good living over the years with those principles.

So I believe that information is where the blogs, or at least the good ones, come in. Flyer Talk, too, of course.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:04 am

Seems like there may be two UA glitches he took advantage of? The article said he tried to pay them back ~$5k.
I got the impression the bigger issue was gaming the compensation system and finding some sort of exploit with UA's vouchers. I've been reading his blog off and on since its beginning so it all finally makes sense to me why he went from being a huge UA fan to an AA fan seemingly overnight. It brings back some fond memories of just how whacked UA's compensation system was.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Y'all are being a little hard on Ben.

A friend of mine wrote a little parody of the RS article on his travel site. Enjoy.

http://www.shandypockets.com/the-wheels-on-the-bus.html
This is absolutely hilarious!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Various
Okay... Maybe I'm wrong about the selling of the lifestyle:
He is selling something at least:

Originally Posted by Ben Schlappig
5 Credit Cards That Can Help You Fly For Nearly Free
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...r-nearly-free/
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I've lived through many situations such as this in my life. In short, there will always be opportunities . . . just new ones, always new ones.

I think it's more useful to view it all like surfing: sure, this wave might be almost over, but there's always another one. Sometimes the waves are bigger, sometimes smaller. New waves come along just the same. Always.

So there will continue to be exploitable inefficiencies, or arbitrage opportunities if you will -- just different ones. And as is always true of arbitrage, getting better information than anyone else quicker than anyone else, and having the nerve and the perspicacity to act on it first, will be key. Lots of people have made a very good living over the years with those principles.

So I believe that information is where the blogs, or at least the good ones, come in. Flyer Talk, too, of course.
The problem is Ben is telling everyone surfing is easy, anyone can do it. But, he's just taking their money selling them a board and wetsuit and sending them out on their own to figure it out. When the cleanup set comes through there is going to be a lot of unhappy kooks.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by skunker
The problem is Ben is telling everyone surfing is easy, anyone can do it. But, he's just taking their money selling them a board and wetsuit and sending them out on their own to figure it out.
To be fair, the folks don't pay Ben for anything. At least directly (except the booking service).

Yeah, RS made it sound much easier than it is.

But I also think people are being hard on him. I think he seems like a decent guy, though he's made mistakes (who hasn't?) and I think he's pretty straight-forward. Bottom line is that those sign-up bonuses are a good deal for many.

He does seem to have hit a rich deposit -- I've had non-FT friends who know I'm into THE HOBBY ask me if I know him.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by humanoid94
This is absolutely hilarious!
Oh yeah. Falling out of my chair.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:35 am

Y'all are being a little hard on Ben.

A friend of mine wrote a little parody of the RS article on his travel site. Enjoy.

That is fantastic.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH

Very funny.

Would like to see additional installments.
Maybe photo/video shoots of on-board lav facilities, Amenity Kit items, and a nice feature on the BusClub Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.