One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: most of them
He actually posted something on the blog in the last couple of days that basically says he recognizes that he's a bit burned out and can't keep up what he's been doing for the last year.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by SANspotter
Not to pick on your comment directly, but what is it about someone wanting to be alone that sends people into panic? Some people (myself included) are just wired like that. I've lived my entire life so far not having a strong desire to have lots of friends, and I'm a very happy guy and satisfied in life. Friends are important, yes, but I don't base my happiness upon being around other people.

Ben sounds like he's a bit of an introvert, that's all. I totally get where he's coming from, and it doesn't necessarily mean he's clinically depressed and in need of help.
I don't be that applies to Ben. Introverts don't seek the attention detailed in the article or on his blog.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skunker
Introverts don't seek the attention detailed in the article or on his blog.
Introverts can be exhibitionists/narcissists.

Look it up.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:35 pm

An official reply on the OMAAT Instagram in response to someone who asked "Did Rolling Stone get it right, Ben?"

I'd say not really, but that's the nature of being interviewed for (literally) over a hundred hours and them (understandably) quoting selectively to fit their angle. I think the overall theme is reasonably fair, though it makes it all seem a bit more isolating/show-offy than it is. At the same time I think it does good job covering the background of hobby, my life/past, etc. But all things considered it brought me out of my comfort zone, so I'm happy to have had the opportunity.
(emphasis mine; from https://instagram.com/p/5YHEYJFRz4/)
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Introverts can be exhibitionists/narcissists.

Look it up.
Or not.

What's more, there are lots of people who view themselves as "sensitive introverts", when they are really covert narcissists. These individuals are characterized by their sense of entitlement to social attention. Accordingly, they are hurt easily by the slightest remark of others, are hyper self conscious and self absorbed, and are frequently upset that others don't recognize their brilliance. Covert narcissism is strongly associated with neuroticism, not introversion.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...ease-stand-up/
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:21 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Not to continue the derailing of the thread...

But introversion and extroversion are pretty wide spectrums with secondary traits all over the place.

As a possibly useful comparison.. me:
I am a (self-labeled) extroverted introvert. To me, this means that I am someone who feeds off solitude. I cherish it. Interacting with others is taxing and consumes a lot of my energy. But, I also very much want to be noticed and appreciated.

I've found this to manifest itself in my life by hobbying as a DJ or fronting a band. Both of these activities are very "look at me" yet at the same time, are within themselves, very self contained and isolating in a very energizing way.

I think bloggers can be much the same.. expressing and appreciating themselves through desiring attention to their posts, but also not really loving having to interact.

It's like.. "how can I be the center of attention without actually interacting with people".. sounds strange, and worded like that, kinda dickish, but it's all I got
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
There's a lot of sour grapes in here, and I'm not quite sure why.
I suspect there are quite a few people that don't like him for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's specific to Ben; other times, it's a general dislike of the travel bloggers. He has burned plenty of bridges on his own.

Personally, I'm not too fond of him because he has lifted/copied/stolen an insane amount of content from Flyertalk to post on his own blog. Deals have died because of his contribution to the overexposure. Hat tips are for weasels.

No need to turn this into a Mad Libs style game on what's not to like about Ben.. but if you really don't know, you don't have to go far to look.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by izzik
No need to turn this into a Mad Libs style game on what's not to like about Ben.. but if you really don't know, you don't have to go far to look.
I think you've made very valid points. But I was more referring to the people picking apart his life and career choices that doesn't have anything to do with FT or his interactions with anyone specifically. As far as questionable actions? I met him on FT when he was still in high school. While being young isn't an excuse for everything...maturity comes with age.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The Daily Mail has a feature story:
Meet the 25-year-old who is outsmarting the airlines and exploiting frequent flyer miles to continually travel the world full-time for FREE
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:03 pm

That's worse than the RS article. And, since when did we become "Hobbyists"?!?! Now I want to kick my own ... for even been associated with this site.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

He must have a P.R. Person. Suddenly, Ben is a Flying Kardashian.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:34 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Geeze, yea, that second article is even more annoying.

I feel like the only people who call it 'The Hobby' are those who are like... really involved with it. Like.. people getting invites to fly (or who are making sure they are on) inaugurals, doing serious churning, etc. Let's face it.. most of us here are just hobby Hobbists..lol.

Ugh.. so grating even typing it.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:44 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Instead of thoughtleader and critic in travel, we are now being bombarded with the title "travel personality" (excuse me while i put my eyes out, this new Hobbyist term-fornication is an indecency for any orthodox person) |sarcasm off|

What i mean to say is that those articles portray a living style and system-gaming that is worth all the effort, for those that have time, good creditrating and money (demographics: RS/DM-readers) but does it suit everyone?

As someone who travels longhaul, i'm happy to travel comfortably but i'm more happy if it is over and i reach home/work safely asap and sane.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jul 21, 2015 at 10:50 pm
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:04 am

A lot of posts seem really petty and jealous on this thread, and I fail to see why some need to post again and again about Ben. Do you guys have some kind of crush on him? Leave the guy alone, no one forces you to read his blog.

I sense a lot of envy among those that see a young guy making money and living his dream. Why hate? If your life sucks, work towards improving it rather than tearing other people down.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by spideysense
A lot of posts seem really petty and jealous on this thread, and I fail to see why some need to post again and again about Ben. Do you guys have some kind of crush on him? Leave the guy alone, no one forces you to read his blog.

I sense a lot of envy among those that see a young guy making money and living his dream. Why hate? If your life sucks, work towards improving it rather than tearing other people down.
Indeed. I'm in disbelief mods allowing this carnage.
Threads have been shut for a fraction of the hate in here.
And not taking into account we're talking of a forum member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.