Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:36 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
For the Love of God, can we please NOT adopt using the term 'The Hobby?'

It's cringe-worthy.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kokonutz

It's cringe-worthy.
What if I'm using that other airport in Houston that Southwest flies out of?
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by CMK10
What if I'm using that other airport in Houston that Southwest flies out of?
Only if you are flying to/from the other airport in Dallas.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's cringe-worthy.
is that coming from BA/etc ?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

It's cringe-worthy.
Amen!!!

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
is that coming from BA/etc ?
Seems it was created by Ben and/or the Rolling Stone author. I'd venture to guess it came from Ben and latched onto by the author but who knows.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I don't think that many people care how much money he is making from the blog. It's the fact that he asked his readers to fund his Kickstarter and then publicly criticized a pastor on his blog for encouraging his followers to fund a private jet (while Ben could afford to pay for his flight the pastor could not afford a private jet).
I don't have a problem with this either.

Tim Cook is rich, but do you expect to Apple to give people Macs for free? Ben publishes his blog to the world for free. I've learned so much and I've never paid him a penny. Think about that --- it's a pretty amazing value, as Ben would frequently say himself.

Now of course, he's not the only person doing this, and clearly he does get compensated in other ways, but I don't think anyone should feel entitled to Ben's services. He certainly has a right to decide when and what to charge. In this case, the Residence costs $20000, more than any other cost that Ben incurs for his other trip reports. So I think it's perfectly reasonable for him to expect something additional in this particular case.

Moreover, he was pretty careful and narrow in detailing his campaign. He was upfront with how frivolous and unnecessary it is and I don't think he played the "poor" card at all. I didn't donate, but if I were to donate, it would be because I wanted to see the trip report and not because I felt bad for a "struggling blogger." I find it hard to believe that anyone would be mislead over this.

On the other hand, expecting people to pay for a private jet as a "charitable donation," and trying to paint it as a necessity for the greater good, is a completely different matter...
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
when ben said he was gay in comment (nicely done i thought, responding to quasi troll) one of my first thoughts (plural) was 'now all that sharing bed with friend makes a lot more sense'
Looks like still continues to share beds with friends: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...springs-hotel/
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:37 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Quite an interesting read, and while there was nothing truly shocking in the article, it basically confirmed everything I (we) assumed: he's gay, makes a crap load of money, and is totally headed for burnout. The amount of flying he's doing combined with the number of blog posts he's pumping out can't be healthy, so I hope he wises up and slows down soon. It's absolutely not necessary to fly/work so much to be successful, but somehow he's got the mentally that quantity trumps quality. I follow a lot of other bloggers (in other niches) that only post once or twice a month and make more money than he does.

I did find it odd that the author painted him as a depressed loner at the end of the article though. I'm sure it's lonely living in hotels like that, but Ben seems to be surrounded by people wherever he goes.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: most of them
you can be surrounded by people and still be lonely
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by glennaa11
you can be surrounded by people and still be lonely
100% correct and I think accurate in his case. All depends on the type of people that surround you.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Read the article and, despite knowing much about the hobby, I didn't find the article to be that well written. For instance, every time the writer referred to 'free' travel, I cringed. Even Ben admits its not FREE.

Also felt the use of the word "the Hobby" was absolutely cringeworthy.

Lastly, I agreed with most of the comments (even though they were half baked): what a depressing life...(*to ME...I, personally, think it's the epitome of depression. Ben obviously feels otherwise)
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by stackm
The article mentions a possible sexual assault that took place by a FA. Anyone know more about this?

Wonder if it was a male or female FA... any guesses for the airline
Rolling Stone doesn't have a very good track record on that particular subject. I wouldn't even give it a second thought.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
Rolling Stone doesn't have a very good track record on that particular subject. I wouldn't even give it a second thought.
Eh, normally I'd agree, but this was pretty explicitly info "directly" from Ben...
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:48 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
I'm a little surprised that more aren't giving Ben/lucky a little more benefit of the doubt..

Lest it be forgotten, before he was in this article, before he started his blog, before anyone knew his name, he was just one of us. He was the young guy who was dorked out about miles and flying, kinda naive about the world, and obviously had more resources than most his age.

Really, the only thing in the article that caught me off-guard was having been banned from United. It was pretty clear that he was an AA junkie now, but I never understood why.. kinda missed his involvement in the UA forum actually.

Ben's just a guy who found something he got really into, played the system more than the rest of us, got in trouble but kept going, and decided to try and blog about it for a living.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:58 pm

The article is now online:
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...-free-20150720

To answer Ben's response of "still not sure how I got myself into this"... Well giving free long haul first class flights around the world to a writer who has never been published in Rolling Stone couldn't have hurt!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.