Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Todays post complaining about lounges being overcrowded. Then proceeds to add about 100 affiliate hotlinks for credit cards that offer lounge access.

This guy is too much.
Isn't it simply good business to keep fishing for card applicants while the fishing still works ok for the blog business? Isn't it simply good business to fish harder now if the future looks less fish-rich for the fisherman who have been relying on reeling in card applicants?

The "bad" lounge overcrowding situation in "the West" is already in line to unwind. The signs are quite clear that travel demand is going to hit a wall as concerns about a recession grow, inflation eats away the value of money on hand, and "the middle classes" come to a new reality where their most common primary asset plunges in value, the other personal assets aren't as valuable in real terms as they used to be, and their real incomes are lower than they used to be. That will shrink the market of new marks for annual fee credit cards with the high interest rates and the high fee charge cards. And there are things that Congress may do -- although I wouldn't count on it passing at this point given the dynamics in Congress and that we have a President from Delaware -- which could unwind the ways these cards make financial sense for card issuers -- that could unwind the profitability of the card-pushing blog business. Also, the card-issuers will be tightening up as concerns about delinquencies/non-performing assets rise.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:19 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Todays post complaining about lounges being overcrowded. Then proceeds to add about 100 affiliate hotlinks for credit cards that offer lounge access.
Seriously, did anyone expect anything less?
hockeystl and HadesNL like this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 3:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Wink

His blog is an 100% commercial enterprise, it has moved away from being an Av-Geek's private musing.

99.9 % of every post has a referral fitted in,
His creditcard posts don't show the best deals out there,
Some creditcards get no attention/mention at all, so referral clause causes bias in product offering
His Four Seasons and luxury hotel posts are ads for his spouse's TA,
Any links seem to come with affiliate tracking codes,
Purchasing LifeMiles via OMAAT for extra % bonus proofs financial commercial interests

Yet he still also posts industry news and aviation related items so still a bit informative.....

Added with the posts that are personal of nature:
- are beginning to perform as a human interest story "the days of our lives" (you feel part of his evolution)
- generate likability factor for the emotional bonding with Ben (he is one of us)
- causing continued attachment interest with the blog
Are however all still part of the commercial enterprise blog, such private musing should be on a different seperate marked section or even a totally different blog....

Ben is the cult hero whom portrays the story and vibe of OMAAT, the narrator/personality whom people are interested in, him only generates the interest of readers
No other writer will sufice in keeping reader interest or let readers allow to personally connect with as in likeability.....
* that's why you see no other guest writers posting anymore, (or Team OMAAT with Travis, Steph, Mike, Kate, Nick etc...)
- they tried to launch Ford as a personality and writer but the inexperience / overselfassured haughty tone made his posting unpopular
- they introduced Daniel (NonStop Dan : Daniel Torp) but it seems 2 captains can't run the same ship and he has chosen his own path with Youtube videos instead of writing: https://onemileatatime.com/emirates-...conomy-review/
- the only other writer whom people really liked was James (the other Ben) but he had been poached by TPG UK
- Tiffany provided interesting posts but it seems her expertise is vital for points.me, relegating her to the back office, diminishing her role upfront and as visible personality

So the whole of OMAAT as blog is sole dependent on Ben's posts.
If he were to be "unavailable" , all motion/interest stops.....the blog loses its only star....the only true USP
In the comments it is also only Ben who replies back and with whom only the readers engage
He could sell the blog but it becomes worthless without him,
his fortunes/future solemnly lie with exploiting point.me software membership to the masses or elevating Ford's TA business with its own site with Ben being THE most experienced authorithy TA of Vituoso and offering his personal help at an extra surcharge, his fanboys/readers would pay any premium to be personally advised by him because he has gained their favours / likeability and demonstrated years of travel/hotel experience.

TPG sold his blog and was still considered its face.
Yet Brian was so unlikable (pompous) that many other TPG writers stepped in to divert attention and to try build up a personal bond with readers....
(Zach, JT, Nicky etc,) with more media exposure (youtube video / twitter) as to carry the TPG brand, not letting it be dependent on just 1 person but being supported by multiple writers / personalities with whom the audience could relate to....... (sidenote: to many writers caused the quality to crash, Selling out caused to much CCshilling, superiority complex caused no more comments section thus alienating audiences)

In that view we see only Ben as synonym of OMAAT and so all his writings on his blog as commercial exposure used for commercial gain towards the general public, even if it includes his private and personal posts on OMAAT about his life. So all that information contained in his posts and public domain are fair to discuss on FT.

Last edited by HadesNL; Sep 17, 2022 at 3:54 pm
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Back to reality, now that he has a child why doesn’t he just sell his blog like TPG did? I never really understood why he has kept it this long now.
The site is also “his baby”.

A passion that yields a business venture of success for its founders is often like the founder’s beloved baby: separating from it is not always all that easy and not always all that good an idea; and going separate ways or bringing more people into the picture may come with conflicted feelings and even growing pains or regression. Of course one way to deal with potential separation anxiety on the horizon is to pick up with a new passion to try to emulate the prior success. And bailing ship in the business world before the ship sinks is sort of an art in itself, but not all artists are equal in their abilities and outcomes.
jimmygottfredson and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by HadesNL
- the only other writer whom people really liked was James (the other Ben) but he had been poached by TPG UK
I still find it jaw dropping that Ben got Australian Ben to write under the name James.
I know Australian Ben said it wasn't a big deal - but at a time when we're encouraged to be our "authentic selves", i still find this seriously weird.
It's also a bit insulting to readers that OMAAT thought we would be confused between Ben/Lucky and Australian Ben !
HadesNL and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
I still find it jaw dropping that Ben got Australian Ben to write under the name James.
I know Australian Ben said it wasn't a big deal - but at a time when we're encouraged to be our "authentic selves", i still find this seriously weird.
It's also a bit insulting to readers that OMAAT thought we would be confused between Ben/Lucky and Australian Ben !
I doubt there was anything pernicious behind it. They simply didn’t want two Ben’s writing so people would get confused. I don’t see any issue with that.
josephstern and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ladies & Gentlemen, Dear Kids,
a reminder not to get into intricate personal details of the blogger being discussed in this thread. However tempting that night be, this thread is about the blog. Plenty of things to discuss in that area. 18 posts deleted.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Ladies & Gentlemen, Dear Kids, a reminder not to get into intricate personal details of the blogger being discussed in this thread.
What if said blogger blogs about intricate personal details? Frankly, I don't know why you keep clicking on this guy's blog...I sometimes see his stuff on Feedly, I have never given him a click in years.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I don't envy the moderator's job.

On one hand, I think it's fair game to discuss the content. But, in this case, the content contains personal details of the blogger, so on the other hand, it straddles the line of whether we're talking about the blog/content or the person.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by gpapadop
What if said blogger blogs about intricate personal details?
Well, the recent deletions were about some implied affair and about who fathered what. No grey zone there. Especially for veteran Flyertalkers who frequent far more strictly moderated sections of FT on a daily basis. There is plenty of things that can be discussed about the bloggers that is definitely not personal.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Personal details, scandals, etc is what sells. There are several other good travel blogs without the personal details and emotions - that are not as popular.

Kim Kardashian is worth $1.8B. We all know how she got there.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The site is also “his baby”.

A passion that yields a business venture of success for its founders is often like the founder’s beloved baby: separating from it is not always all that easy and not always all that good an idea; and going separate ways or bringing more people into the picture may come with conflicted feelings and even growing pains or regression. Of course one way to deal with potential separation anxiety on the horizon is to pick up with a new passion to try to emulate the prior success. And bailing ship in the business world before the ship sinks is sort of an art in itself, but not all artists are equal in their abilities and outcomes.
This, plus TPG is hardly the model to follow. He sold out way too early in the game.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
This, plus TPG is hardly the model to follow. He sold out way too early in the game.
Maybe, but didn't he get extremely rich from it?
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
As I heard - the points guy earned $3.5M in 2 years and bought a multimillion dollar condo in Miami.

I don't know how a travel site compares to a youtube - which can earn millions if large following.
Travel site is mostly credit card links @ $150 each, and now regular ads imbedded.
Question - is how many hits per day - I am guessing maybe 200,000 - 500,000 - 1M? Maybe more?
Although you need to be in the millions to get big bucks.

Also OMAAT runs a travel booking business - with a think a dozen employees - which you have to pay.

I am guessing he earns personally $1M a year.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by cova
As I heard - the points guy earned $3.5M in 2 years and bought a multimillion dollar condo in Miami.

I don't know how a travel site compares to a youtube - which can earn millions if large following.
Travel site is mostly credit card links @ $150 each, and now regular ads imbedded.
Question - is how many hits per day - I am guessing maybe 200,000 - 500,000 - 1M? Maybe more?
Although you need to be in the millions to get big bucks.

Also OMAAT runs a travel booking business - with a think a dozen employees - which you have to pay.

I am guessing he earns personally $1M a year.
I thought I had heard that he shut down the travel booking website above, and there hasn't been activity on the booking website since 2017. I would say your estimate is probably correct about 1M a year. Between the credit card referrals, visits, and other incomes from the website defineitely between 500-1M a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.