Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It’s possible he will take more flights with tighter turn times in order to get back to his child at home. In some ways, a business traveler having a child may make some business travelers fly more rather than less, so as to be home more. In his case, maybe it will just mean flying more in a shorter period but then trickling out the content over a longer period of time to cover travel breaks.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
OMAATs core competence is reviews of longhaul premium cabins and to some extent hotels. If he switches to 'travel with kid' they are addressing a new reader segment with a new product. That will be a tough hill to climb. Also the CC shill to that market segment is far tougher making it not so rewarding...
It’s possible to keep playing to that core competence area without avoiding areas that are not so core in brining in the moolah.

Not so sure that bank card pushing to “travel with kid” audience members is far tougher and less rewarding when it’s just an additional angle to push cards and get more card referral money.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Cynic mode on:
at least with most airlines, passengers travelling with childeren may board the aircraft first
- so this beats any first class or topstatus-
That should flatter their egos or help him get better pictures of the premium cabins

Reality mode on:
I must say during my experience travelling as a gay composite family with 2 teen sons and a quirky S/O,
We have always put emphasis on the lads being polite and well behaved when travelling,
being able to entertain themselves and observe and learn from cultural and social norms and conventions from different countries,
all knowledge they acquire benefits their future development and succes.

Examples when educating my lads on international travel subjects:
- why Singapore has no litter abound? because of the strict cane of harshness and the ever watching fatherly eye of LKY
- why French people use "Vous" ? because everyone likes to be polite and feel appreciated
- why at immigration no jokes and must answer politely ? because they can make or break your entry into the country and we'd be missing out on the beach and the prebooked events
- why at security staying calm and comply with rules ? because nobody likes their airplaine to drop from 10km sky to the ground whilest eating their soup
- why no loud audio in lounges? because we are not touts at the Dappermarket in Amsterdam Muiderpoort trying to sell fish to unsuspecting passerbys
- why polite to staff? because if you can make them smile that makes a positive lasting impression
my S/O's wisdom added to the lads: complaints are free and unlimited : compliments mostly cost efforts so it never hurts to do something nice back

Making no distiction betwen straight or gay families with kids,
nobody feels empathy or has likable feelings,
to bratty, bossy out of control screaming kids
whom are not educated/corrected by parents or
whose parents prefer to be glued to their mobile devices,
losing track of their offspring and
let them go unsupervised on a rampage during airport formalities
(security / passport control / customs) or in lounges or in the aircraft cabin.

I hope team OMMAAT will take this into account,
before jumping to
any (gay and or family) prejudice conclusions!
GUWonder, lsquare, WSTC and 2 others like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Aug 22, 2022 at 5:13 am
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DELee
Wonder if his middle name is Points.

David
Miles Maximus perhaps?
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
In two days this blog managed to unleash an EPIC number of credit card shilling posts putting TPG Inc. to shame...which is mind boggling when you think about it.
https://travelbloggerbuzz.com/salari...comment-423893

>>>>>>>I find the value of the blog is to give me quick summary of the latest new items from the airlines - like promos, changes to services and benefits, etc.

Out f numerous blogs out there that do that...why come back to this one when you get pounded by so many credit card shilling and moronic "shocking" clickbait posts?

>>>>>>>>think Ben just writes the posts and sends to her

I doubt it, I think there are several anonymous ghost writers behind the scenes that pump out a good portion of the posts. Usually, the same writer writes posts for OMAAT and VFTW and spaces them out by slightly changing the headline by a world or two only minutes apart from each other. Of course, legal informs me I should state ALL of the above is imho.
HadesNL and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Heavy comments edit

Who could have thought that the subject of Club Lounges caused so much controverse that about 75% of the comments were deleted!

At publication till 13 H after

Approx a day later

Other boarding area blogs might follow soon with the same subject about club lounges just to drive up page views and clicks thanks to the controverse

Last edited by HadesNL; Aug 10, 2022 at 11:10 am
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:52 am
Suspended

What were the nature of the comments that got deleted there?

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 10, 2022 at 10:58 am
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:59 am

GUWonder : the nature of those comments:
Concerning the lounge users:
The usual culprits that tend to destroy the ambiance of the lounge
The locusts that descend on the buffet draining F&B resources
The bserk unsurpervised kids destroying tranquility
And certain groups with bad habits and manners

Everyone seemed convinced one out of these mentioned groups
instead of all of them groups was to blame for lounge havoc which caused friction amongst commentors
lsquare and asovse1 like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Aug 10, 2022 at 11:06 am
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HadesNL

instead of all of them groups was to blame for lounge havoc which caused friction amongst commentors
Similar to here....
DJ in the Sky Club?
HadesNL likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HadesNL

After seeing the remaining comments, I could sort of guess what kind of comments had become highly contentious there.

The VFTW comments are usually more akin to being The Jerry Springer Show than the OMAAT comments, but I think that’s because OMAAT historically has had a different editorial approach to comments than VFTW has had.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Isn't anyone creeped out that he named his kid after Brian Kelly's dog?

(Can't find the original article Points Guy posted years ago but here is something more recent from him - "My life changed back in January 2013 when I added a new member to my family: my French bulldog Miles (get it?). Since then, the little guy has traveled all over the US and to Canada with me, and I can’t imagine life without him. However, traveling with a pet is a whole different experience, and I’ve learned a lot since adding him to the family. Not only are there great strategies to maximize pet travel, but there are also concerns, policies and strategies to make the process fun, painless and rewarding).

Last edited by learnedpaw; Aug 10, 2022 at 2:45 pm Reason: added quote
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Miles was the 54th most common name for male babies in America in 2021 so the happy parents are just on trend without being too trendy.
GUWonder, Adam1222 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by learnedpaw
Isn't anyone creeped out that he named his kid after Brian Kelly's dog?
Decades before Kelly’s dog was born, I was in school with some boys named Miles. Not a name as popular as Brian, Dave, John/Jon, Mike, Mark and some other male names, but definitely not some kind of non-traditional, hyper-fringe name either.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:48 am

Myles ("Miles") Standish-early military leader in the Plymouth Colony. The name has been around for quite awhile.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetAway
Myles ("Miles") Standish-early military leader in the Plymouth Colony. The name has been around for quite awhile.
I was kinda hoping that Miles is the nickname Ben will use for him on the blog, and not his real name.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:48 pm

Losing a sense of reality?

the post about welcome amenities:
https://onemileatatime.com/guides/ho...comment-276360

He does mention:
If you booked through a travel agent program that offers a welcome amenity as a published perk, including Hyatt Privé, Mandarin Oriental Fan Club, Marriott STARS, etc

the shrewd comment:
Another big factor seems to be if you’re a travel agent or work for a travel agency.
They kiss up to them as they can send business their way

I could go on:
or if your husband books travel advisory rates
or if your husband instagrams his stays and visits
or you use your Marriot Ambassador / Hyatt congierge to fine tune your booking
or if you regulary reach out to corporate for news and details for your blog
or if you keep booking under your own name and not be a mystery guest using a "nom de plume"

Us mere mortals would receive the welcome amenity if only Saturn would be in the 11th house on the convergence with Pluto junctioned in the Moon.....
hugolover, lsquare and rt23456p like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Aug 27, 2022 at 1:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.