Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by g2gtrading
Perhaps others are looking at different clips, but from this video I got no sense of entitlement. Maybe he is, but that clip doesn't show it.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I may have got to the bottom of the weird new comments thing.

Under a change to Google Top Stories (the carousel of news items that appears at the top of results when you search for a current news event) this week, you no longer need to use Google AMP to get into it. However, as I understand it, to speed up loading times, Google will cache various parts of your webpage.

Sites with comments will struggle to be included in Google Top Stories because the page content is not static. If its not static, Google can't cache it and so is less likely to include you.

Since Google Top Stories is a huge traffic driver for news-driven sites, Ben may actually be ahead of the pack on this one.
GUWonder and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Raffles
Since Google Top Stories is a huge traffic driver for news-driven sites, Ben may actually be ahead of the pack on this one.
I think TPG/RV was the first to remove comments in the EM&PR space Others switched to services like Disqus to sidestep the Google thing. Big news media use those since years.
lsquare, rt23456p and labdoctor like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
Pointing to the blog layout is all well and good, but it still doesn't escape the grim font and colour !
MUCH preferred the prior layout (font, colors). The chosen font and size is too large and better used for packaging or a product name and not appropriate for large amounts of text. Kudos for trying something new, but I’m finding it hard to read the articles with the new format. Other than needing a refresh of the outdated OMAAT logo/brandmark, the site itself was efficient and useful. The new site design is—I hate to say—in need of reverting back to the original.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
colour / font

I'm still finding it hard to read OMaaT ... especially in the evenings, when my eyes are a bit tired.

Can we have a normal font and colour please ?
GUWonder, NWplatinum and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:10 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
I'm still finding it hard to read OMaaT ... especially in the evenings, when my eyes are a bit tired.

Can we have a normal font and colour please ?
It really is uncomfortable. I find it a bit more tolerable if you click on the somewhat low key link at the top, which re-sorts the content:

"If you prefer the old grid format, or just want to see all posts in chronological order, please click here."
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Craig6z
It really is uncomfortable. I find it a bit more tolerable if you click on the somewhat low key link at the top, which re-sorts the content:

"If you prefer the old grid format, or just want to see all posts in chronological order, please click here."
Thanks for that. At least it makes the site a bite less harsh on the eyes when deciding how to use the site.

Has OMAAT not gotten enough complaints about the site redevelopment to consider a massive change? Or has there either just not been a big enough drop in traffic/use of the site to make a difference?

With a bounce in travel, perhaps the site’s seeing an increase in traffic/use despite how harsh the site is on the eyes. In that context, maybe the pressure to change the design to something more easy on the eyes is somewhat less than would otherwise be the case.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Why doesn’t he just go back to the old site? What was wrong with it and I liked it.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 1:51 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
@NWplatinum Could be his site redesign was needed to apply new UX to court new advertisers//partnerships like "Cardless"

When it comes to advertorials Brex is out and Cardless is in, it seems though the blog is tapping into fin-tech markets

At the article itself it does mention it is a sponsored post
NWplatinum and lsquare like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jul 3, 2021 at 2:14 am
Old Jul 3, 2021, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There is no doubt that we have seen a huge jump in ads and sponsored content since we ‘professionalised’ the Head for Points look. The question is whether OMAAT understands what that word means.

This is not a criticism per se - I am 20 years older than Ben after all.

For eg, when we directly sell ads we get 4-5x what Adsense pays. However, you can’t directly sell ads at premium rates if your site is overrun with ads. You make more money by culling most of your ads and focussing on directly selling a couple of prominent spots. The lack of competing ads makes this an easier task.
NWplatinum and lsquare like this.

Last edited by Raffles; Jul 3, 2021 at 4:00 am
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:53 pm

That logo looks like its for a comb company or whale foundation
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
comments volume

I never bother loading the full comments section - i just read the few at the bottom of each article

Has anybody noticed whether the number of comments has changed much since the redesign ?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:44 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Now that i think of it......

Maybe i am opening a can of worms...

He never did mention:
- how he flew with his dog to Berlin when their had their short relocation to Germany
(Dog in the cargohold or as an emotional support animal or in the cabin on lap?)

- how his stay went and roomphotos at Intercontinental Phoenicia Beirut Lebanon
(He seems to mention the hotel casually as a place where he bought IHG-points to redeem for)

Just my two cents
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HadesNL
He never did mention:
- how he flew with his dog to Berlin when their had their short relocation to Germany
(Dog in the cargohold or as an emotional support animal or in the cabin on lap?)
I assumed the dog had been left in the US? Did the dog go to Germany too?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HadesNL
Now that i think of it......

Maybe i am opening a can of worms...

He never did mention:

- how his stay went and roomphotos at Intercontinental Phoenicia Beirut Lebanon
(He seems to mention the hotel casually as a place where he bought IHG-points to redeem for)

Just my two cents
Does Ben laugh when he reads this? Is he flattered that readers pay so much attention? Or does he find it an invasion of his privacy that he can't do anything without causing curiosity about small details?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.