Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JetAway
I would agree. And in doing so, they (he) are assuming some level of responsibility (liability?) for issues and problems BREX customers are experiencing. What he's doing goes far beyond posting newsworthy or useful information. He's essentially marketing the product.
Im not sure why folks are seeming to raise these issues with regards to Brex. But, no, plugging a certain product in no way makes him legally liable or responsible when customers have problems with that product. The same way if you have a problem with a Hyatt or Chase promotion he's not responsible

Blogs, including this one, have been doing marketing masquerading as content for years. It's odd that people only think it's a problem when they have a problem with the service that's being marketed.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
But, no, plugging a certain product in no way makes him legally liable or responsible when customers have problems with that product.
It depends on the specific relationship he has with the company. And whether he has reason to believe the company's claims are false.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
It depends on the specific relationship he has with the company. And whether he has reason to believe the company's claims are false.
Under agency principles, it would be highly unlikely that a marketer/advertising medium assumes the liability of the principal.
Putting aside that the fact that an individual consumers are having trouble with a product doesn't demonstrate a claim is "false," there is no basis for liability unless a blogger said/posted something they knew to be false.
Again, this is no different than a customer being told a Hyatt or Chase promo is great, or plugging a hotel they got a free stay at, and then a dissatisfied customer blaming the blogger. Should there be better disclosure laws on the divide between marketing and editorial content? For sure. Is a marketer responsible for any problems that an end user uses? No.
And that a specific user is having trouble with a product is hardly the same as lying.
gpeso8 likes this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Feb 20, 2021 at 5:13 pm
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
While the Brex posts have dried up for now...the OTT sensationalist clickbait headlines have not.

"Terrifying"

https://onemileatatime.com/united-ai...ngine-failure/
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by labdoctor
While the Brex posts have dried up for now...the OTT sensationalist clickbait headlines have not.

"Terrifying"

https://onemileatatime.com/united-ai...ngine-failure/
Do ....you think it's not terrifying?
It would be odd if a travel blog did not cover an aircraft incident that is being covered by all news media sources.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:22 pm

Do ....you think it's not terrifying?
It would be odd if a travel blog did not cover an aircraft incident that is being covered by all news media sources.
The tone of the article is sensationalist, which is Ben's forte. He seems to revel in conflict, misery or danger. I still can't forget his article about a murder in a Hong Kong hotel (and where he was more bothered about what hotels do with the rooms after such incidents).

It would be better to simply report things like this without any embellishment.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:24 pm

The tone of the article is sensationalist, which is Ben's forte. He seems to revel in conflict, misery or danger. I still can't forget his article about a murder in a Hong Kong hotel (and where he was more bothered about what hotels do with the rooms after such incidents).

I'm sure there are many news sites that might suit your needs and desires better.

Criticism like yours here makes any valid criticism you may have seem more frivolous.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:28 pm

I'm sure there are many news sites that might suit your needs and desires better.

Criticism like yours here makes any valid criticism you may have seem more frivolous.
I wouldn't really count OMAAT, which has recently morphed into the Brex Customer Service portal, as a "news site".
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:39 pm

I wouldn't really count OMAAT, which has recently morphed into the Brex Customer Service portal, as a "news site".
yes, that was the point.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Yeah his coverage of the UA situation is way over the top and sensationalist. He followed it up with an article talking about how the replacement aircraft was involved in a similar incident on SFO - HNL back in 2018 but then he goes on to stress that he is in NO WAY trying to suggest that the two incident are linked or that the replacement aircraft could be an issue
labdoctor likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:11 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Stop clicking and making him richer then!
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You guys are letting the Brex discussion take over here.

Don't forget about the pumping of Ford's booking service.
labdoctor likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 6:55 am

You can read my Brex comments here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...sn-t-work.html

I also posted them to Ask Lucky. No surprise, they didn't appear.

Certainly not the "easiest" points I've ever earned.
diburning likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:17 am

Things must really be getting desperate now that Ben has resorted to Air Pod advertorials...

Maybe the Brex cash has dried up?

https://onemileatatime.com/apple-airpods-pro-review/
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Writing about the headphones you use while traveling isn’t acceptable for a blog about traveling?
SANspotter and mikex163 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.