Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Pretty gullible evidently!
SO I have to correct myself...that AeroMexico ad is apparently real. Their agency (Ogilvy) confirmed it, and AM confirmed it themselves on Twitter. The promotion is no longer available, but I was dead-wrong and Lucky was right. Kudos where kudos are due.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
SO I have to correct myself...that AeroMexico ad is apparently real. Their agency (Ogilvy) confirmed it, and AM confirmed it themselves on Twitter. The promotion is no longer available, but I was dead-wrong and Lucky was right. Kudos where kudos are due.
Yes, it's an actual advertisement created for the airline. But the "discount program based on DNA results" is a joke. That's where Ben was suckered (along with many others).

There is no such DNA test that will conclude that one is "XX% Mexican" because there is no single meaning of such. Aside from the "traditional" image of a Mexican having a combined Spanish and Native American ancestry, Mexican citizens also have Asian, African, Middle Eastern, and other heritage - with or without Native and/or Spanish DNA. DNA sampling of native populations in the Americas is spotty at best, so even identifying someone with ancestry linked to known groups who populated what is now Mexico, is difficult...and wouldn't prove anything as pre-Columbian people didn't tend to abide by our current national boundaries.

The folks in the video may or may not be real residents of Wharton, TX but they were part of the farce.

Pretty clever ad, though!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:04 am

It looks like James has decamped OMAAT for TPG. Quite a loss for OMAAT as James is a skilled writer. But TPG is probably a better fit for his long form pieces.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
And today ben is snipping back:

"I'm not saying any other sites are in bed with Marriott (just sharing limos to the Oscars ), but one has to wonder if it’s a coincidence that a negative post about marriott disappeared on a certain other site.

(Kudos to Richard for having the integrity to step back from that site when his post was pulled)"

Last edited by Alpha Golf; Feb 26, 2019 at 6:10 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:11 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
And today ben is snipping back:

"I'm not saying any other sites are in bed with Marriott (just sharing limos to the Oscars ), but one has to wonder if it’s a coincidence that a negative post about marriott disappeared on a certain other site.

(Kudos to Richard for having the integrity to step back from that site when his post was pulled)"
That post was pretty bold and worthy of a link: https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...ing-at-basics/

It's a bit ironic to see Ben calling out other bloggers for letting their relationships with travel service providers affect their journalistic integrity as he has taken plenty of perks himself. But for all of its irony it is also refreshing to see a spade called a spad by someone 'in the industry' of credit card hawking/content monetization!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Ben throwing some serious shade on TPG....I love it.

"The Oscars has nothing to do with miles & points, the Oscars has everything to do with “TPG Himself” living his D-list celebrity fantasy…"
JonNYC and itsaboutthejourney like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by hockeystl

"The Oscars has nothing to do with miles & points, the Oscars has everything to do with “TPG Himself” living his D-list celebrity fantasy…"
Imagine Ben's surprise when he peruses his spouse's Instagram.
Adam1222, newfrequent and zeer0 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:21 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by hockeystl

Yeah, that was some straight up Real Housewives shade!
JonNYC likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
It looks like James has decamped OMAAT for TPG. Quite a loss for OMAAT as James is a skilled writer. But TPG is probably a better fit for his long form pieces.
I don't like James' writing style, nor his repetitive and redundant articles, would be nice for some sort of statement that he's left or what, his posts just stopped
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

I don't like James or anybody else who is not Lucky writing on this blog.

Lucky has a long winded but personal and personable style that is drowned out by all other writers.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I don't like James' writing style, nor his repetitive and redundant articles, would be nice for some sort of statement that he's left or what, his posts just stopped
to be fair, most publications don't publicise the departure of their staff !

Originally Posted by davie355
I don't like James or anybody else who is not Lucky writing on this blog.

Lucky has a long winded but personal and personable style that is drowned out by all other writers.
on the OMAAT homepage there are about 32 stories ... only 1 of them is written by anybody other than Lucky ... so hard to see how he is being "drowned out" !
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
on the OMAAT homepage there are about 32 stories ... only 1 of them is written by anybody other than Lucky ... so hard to see how he is being "drowned out" !
hmm, at one point that wasn't true and I stopped reading OMAAT shortly thereafter so I was not aware!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I feel a bit sorry for Ben - he and Tiffany went through a long process to find new writers but then found that they were getting picked off by competitors. That's the problem with not offering a full time contract.

Interestingly James didn't apply for the full-time London-based job I was advertising before Christmas, which was an attractive package both in terms of money, responsibility and the future. Perhaps he is not going full-time at TPG and keeping his other non-travel job?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Raffles
I feel a bit sorry for Ben - he and Tiffany went through a long process to find new writers but then found that they were getting picked off by competitors. That's the problem with not offering a full time contract.

Interestingly James didn't apply for the full-time London-based job I was advertising before Christmas, which was an attractive package both in terms of money, responsibility and the future. Perhaps he is not going full-time at TPG and keeping his other non-travel job?
maybe the package you were offering wasn't quite as attractive as you thought it was !
or maybe TPG offered him some sort of equity based deal ?
or it could just have been that TPG pursued him !
Markie likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
to be fair, most publications don't publicise the departure of their staff !
Perhaps, but his author page is still up on OMAAT as if nothing has changed.

Originally Posted by Raffles

According to his Instagram post announcing his move to TPG he quit his job as a lawyer to pursue TPG writing full time

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.