Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Jan 10, 19, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Ambo, HH Gold, Marriott VC AP Owner, AA Plat, UA Silver
Ben is becoming a real a**hole in my view. He arrogantly complained in his post today (January 10, 2018) that UA didn't invite him to the media event despite having "the largest independently owned blog in this space." I wrote the below comment calling him out for his past unethical behavior with United and he proceeded to delete the comment and ban me from making future comments on his website.

Daniel M says:
January 10, 2019 at 2:05 pm“For the record, I wasn’t invited to the media event, despite having the largest independently owned blog in this space, and having had nothing but positive things to say about Polaris lounges.”

I’m confused what your meaning is here. Are you complaining that you weren’t invited despite having the largest independently owned blog in this space? If so, why should they invite you after the scam you pulled on them which got you kicked out of MileagePlus? Are you saying that they should overlook your past ethical blunders because you’re so successful now? That sounds like a pretty obnoxious power play on your part. Look – I love your blog and there is a reason it’s the best in this space. I’m also convinced that you’ve learned from your past mistakes. But that doesn’t give you the right to call United out given your past issues with the airline. Just my two cents.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by lhs323 View Post
Ben is becoming a real a**hole in my view. He arrogantly complained in his post today (January 10, 2018) that UA didn't invite him to the media event despite having "the largest independently owned blog in this space." I wrote the below comment calling him out for his past unethical behavior with United and he proceeded to delete the comment and ban me from making future comments on his website.

Daniel M says:
January 10, 2019 at 2:05 pm“For the record, I wasn’t invited to the media event, despite having the largest independently owned blog in this space, and having had nothing but positive things to say about Polaris lounges.”

I’m confused what your meaning is here. Are you complaining that you weren’t invited despite having the largest independently owned blog in this space? If so, why should they invite you after the scam you pulled on them which got you kicked out of MileagePlus? Are you saying that they should overlook your past ethical blunders because you’re so successful now? That sounds like a pretty obnoxious power play on your part. Look – I love your blog and there is a reason it’s the best in this space. I’m also convinced that you’ve learned from your past mistakes. But that doesn’t give you the right to call United out given your past issues with the airline. Just my two cents.
Whining like that wasn't very professional of him. Not everyone gets invited to things - for whatever reason (or even for no particular reason). Don't pout about it.
Old Jan 11, 19, 3:34 am

Programs: AF/DL, UA, Chase Sapphire
I was more aghast at his cooking attempt from the Polaris cookbook on Instagram. He's never cooked before, and almost everything he eats is from an airport or a hotel! Can you imagine? What a huge part of life to miss out on.
84fiero and Marschel like this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by char777 View Post
What a huge part of life to miss out on.
Despite spending most of his time flying to the far corners of the earth Lucky's world is actually quite small.
Old Jan 12, 19, 1:02 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by lhs323 View Post

Daniel M says:

this comment was allowed (not me!):

Ryan says:
January 10, 2019 at 8:53 pmUnited may have considered your past negative history with defrauding them, in deciding not to invite you. Actions have consequences.
Markie likes this.
Old Jan 13, 19, 12:13 am

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I have had my small issues with Ben, but saying he won't fly AA preferentially, yet moved to Miami and is shocked AA will be the most convenient? Come on.
84fiero, MCIUnitedGuy and Marschel like this.
Old Jan 15, 19, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers View Post
this comment was allowed (not me!):

Ryan says:
January 10, 2019 at 8:53 pmUnited may have considered your past negative history with defrauding them, in deciding not to invite you. Actions have consequences.
Can someone point me to the real story of why he was banned? He glossed over it in the Rolling Stones piece and I've always been curious. Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 19, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by dval44 View Post
Can someone point me to the real story of why he was banned? He glossed over it in the Rolling Stones piece and I've always been curious. Thanks.
Search within this thread under "e-certs" (or "certs") and "banned" and you'll find several discussions. Essentially, he found a way to fraudulently re-use UA e-certs (such as UA issued (at the time anyway) for VDBs and for customer service issues). It's likely the ban was from the MileagePlus program and not necessarily from flying UA metal.

There was a post on the old MilePoint, now InsideFlyer, with more detail, that I had linked to a few years ago - the link 404s now though.
dval44 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 19, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Global Services
I saw Lucky in person once (many years ago) on a UA747 upper deck - flying Frankfurt to Washington. I got to talking to one of his chums seated across the aisle from me, and then I basically slept the rest of the flight. Fast forward to Monday and Ben is being interviewed by Richard Quest on CNN - doing a bit of a fluff piece on Cathay's 2 recent first class fare blunders. Lucky came across as friendly, knowledgeable and entertaining as he admitted he took advantage of 'just one First Class sale ticket' when he could have bought several. He showed a decent sense of humor. I remember how he blasted onto the Mileage Plus forum when he did his 10 back to back TPAC roundtrips in UA First Class and shared the experience. He definitely has the passion for aviation blogging and I enjoy reading OMAAT. Didn't know he got banned from UA Mileage Plus - but I never feel OMAAT is unfair to United. He holds up to his convictions but I feel he's open minded - if somewhat opinionated. That's why he is popular. So publicly complaining that UA didn't invite him to a Polaris function has probably more to do with keeping his name constantly trending. Not sure I would want to travel that much - maybe Ben feels the strain and is transitioning his career to be a smart, good-looking expert talking head that we so often see online and on TV. Or maybe not. I just enjoyed, and miss, his POV years ago when he was a very active poster in FT Mileage Plus forum. I understand he may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he keeps pushing the mysterious notion that frequent flyer programs can still be manipulated (maybe too far in some cases) to bring all of us very tangible benefits. Just my 2¢ worth!

Adam
Old Jan 17, 19, 5:28 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by adambrau View Post
... keeping his name constantly trending.
years ago when he was a very active poster in FT Mileage Plus forum.
he keeps pushing the mysterious notion that frequent flyer programs can still be manipulated (maybe too far in some cases) to bring all of us very tangible benefits.
Keeping his name constantly trending helps sells more credit cards.
Posting in forums takes away valuable time selling more credit cards.
Keep pushing that notion sells more credit cards.
Markie and 84fiero like this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Global Services
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
Keeping his name constantly trending helps sells more credit cards.
Posting in forums takes away valuable time selling more credit cards.
Keep pushing that notion sells more credit cards.
I went back and spent a few hours this morning reading through this thread which I only found last evening. I had only skimmed the last two pages before my first posted remarks. It's actually kind of chilling to suddenly ingest years of an alternate reality of someone you actually never knew - as represented here by supporters, critics, and those just following the drama - and compare it to the happy online personality that burst upon the FT Mileage Plus forum so many years ago. This thread appears to signal that despite a pretty external picture, some sort of unknown turbulence is at hand. I hope a successful outcome is in the (right) cards for these guys. And no pun intended.
Old Jan 17, 19, 8:56 am

Programs: UA
Ben owns and runs a very successful business and he is very good at what he does. In the early days he probably made more money from pointspros (I used him twice too) compared to credit card or blog related revenue. Now it makes him good money and he seems to enjoy what he does. Who would not like a job where he gets good money and (hopefully) enjoys doing it. The gravy train might stop one day but no reason for him to change his business while the times are good. At this time it is a large credit card marketing machine. He is probably thinking about the future as well but as long as the current setup is the most profitable why change it.
Old Jan 17, 19, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by adambrau View Post
I went back and spent a few hours this morning reading through this thread which I only found last evening. I had only skimmed the last two pages before my first posted remarks. It's actually kind of chilling to suddenly ingest years of an alternate reality of someone you actually never knew - as represented here by supporters, critics, and those just following the drama - and compare it to the happy online personality that burst upon the FT Mileage Plus forum so many years ago. This thread appears to signal that despite a pretty external picture, some sort of unknown turbulence is at hand. I hope a successful outcome is in the (right) cards for these guys. And no pun intended.
Nowadays it's so easy to present a certain persona online, which often doesn't correlate fully, or at all, with the person's real life. Some day society will come to regret the extent to which we've collectively succumbed to the this. (There was a wonderful episode of South Park a couple of seasons ago that was excellent commentary on this.) But Lucky certainly isn't alone in that regard, of course.
Old Jan 17, 19, 4:49 pm

https://onemileatatime.com/vacation-rental-roach/

Old Jan 17, 19, 5:45 pm

Was that post written by an 8 year old girl?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: