Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I think the hotel was in the right to call out the behavior.
From the waste of space blogger in question, yes. Frankly if Ben wanted a free room in your hotel you'd be a mug to say no. It is to his credit that he doesn't.

However, as I run comped and paid stay reviews on my site, I can honestly say that the reviews where we pay are worse. Why? Because we don't get access. A comped stay will normally include meals, tours of all the different room categories and lots of useful back-story information. You don't get that sort of stuff on a paid stay. I'm running one tomorrow on a hotel which I never saw in daylight because I arrived so late and left so early. Not exactly enlightening but it is a new property of interest to readers so it runs.

There are also two sorts of comps. There are comps where you decide you want a free holiday in Turkey and you spend a month badgering every hotel you can find until one gives in (which obviously we don't do). Then there is the comp where a hotel offers you a stay in a city you don't really want to visit - and will cost you hundreds in air fare, taxis etc to visit - but which you cover because it is good editorial and somewhere you think your readers would find interesting. THAT is what most of us do.

Since I doubt any user of FT still believes that business travel is in any way glamorous or exciting, I don't quite understand why - when the business is blogging - these trips somehow become more attractive. I have a wife and two little kids and frankly the less time I spend in hotels on my own, even if they are five star and free, the better, which is why I pay someone a full time salary to do most of our reviews.

Last edited by Raffles; Jan 19, 2018 at 9:30 am
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some bold claims being made about not ever asking for free handouts. I think it has been pointed out that his contributors have taken free handouts without disclosing. I know Daniel had a trip to the Middle East and didnt disclose that they were free stays on each review. Also begs the question if he asked for free stays or the hotels reached out to him. He doesnt seem to have a significant following. So he either asked or the hotels offered it to OMAAT.

At the end of the day Ben may not directly ask for a free stay, but he has been know to frequently reach out to hotels prior to his stay to let them know he will be gracing them with his presence and how excited he is to stay with them. Not as bad as pandering for free stays, but typically those suite upgrades cost more than the basic rooms. So in my opinion he is still playing the social media influncer game. An unbiased review would be him using an alias and also using a secondary social media account to reach out to hotels when things go wrong as to not get preferential treatment.

Maybe that is why some choose to call them trip reports vs hotel reviews? I think Ben is talented and I enjoy his content for the most part, but I think the hotel was in the right to call out the behavior.
Would you be more or less concerned with:

(a) FT management/moderators/ambassadors accepting travel suppliers comps/benefits given by a company for their role on FT; or

(b) travel blogger accepting a travel suppliers comps/benefits for their role as a travel blogger?

I would be more concerned with a travel bulletin board site editorializing content under the influence of travel suppliers or of government than a blogger being influenced by a travel suppliers comps/benefits.

[Set aside for the moment that (a) and (b) may share some persons in common.]
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles
From the waste of space blogger in question, yes.
Which one was it anyway? I saw a few bits about that story but they didn't mention the name and I was too lazy to look further.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:52 am

What happened?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:17 am

"EMIRATES WILL BE SERVING A $3,000 BOTTLE OF COGNAC IN FIRST CLASS! Pure craziness! Unfortunately I don’t even really like cognac, but there’s a certain price point at which I’m just drinking on principle, and this certainly qualifies." https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....adis-imperial/

How [redacted] is this guy? I always had a feeling that he is on the brink of [redacted]..

Last edited by oliver2002; Apr 14, 2018 at 2:12 am Reason: offensive
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:39 pm

If you are given a choice to try an alcohol that expensive, even if you don't care for that type of alcohol, it would be an experience. I'm not a wine drinker, but if someone said that I'd have an opportunity to taste a wine that was $1,500 a bottle I'd probably give it a shot to see what it was like.

For someone who has only posted in this thread for the past two years, seems like you might be the one with the problem and not Ben? Seems like a waste of a Flyertalk account, but to each their own I guess.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:01 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
If you are given a choice to try an alcohol that expensive, even if you don't care for that type of alcohol, it would be an experience. I'm not a wine drinker, but if someone said that I'd have an opportunity to taste a wine that was $1,500 a bottle I'd probably give it a shot to see what it was like.
Hm.

I dunno.

I'm an avid oenophile and some of my favorite are in the $15 price range. I was served a Sav Blanc in LH F and fell in love with it. Retails for about $24.

Expensive does NOT mean good. It means a lot of money has gone into marketing it and/or there is a false scarcity around it or that it is actually rare. Classic example is Johnny Walker Blue. Bloggers go ga-ga over it. It's highly marketed ok scotch; not much character and too smooth for most experienced scotch palates. Same with the LVMH wines and spirits Lucky loves to brag about being served on airplanes: marketing over quality.

Then there are liquors with real gold flakes in them. W T F!? Making it expensive just to make it expensive. That's not sophisticated. That's just dumb.

Anyway, looks like Emirates is getting the attention they want from stocking this bottle from those who are obsessed with price rather than quality. Which appears to be their target market in any case...
JonNYC, flashware and 84fiero like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Anyway, looks like Emirates is getting the attention they want from stocking this bottle from those who are obsessed with price rather than quality. Which appears to be their target market in any case...
Zing!
JonNYC likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:02 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Zing!
Not a zing. Just Thought Leaderyness!

Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:39 am

Well, I fell for the "tip" mentioned in the (now removed) blog post titled:

"How To Earn 3x Points (Or More) For Paying Your Taxes By Credit Card"

I have only myself to blame for this of course.

Just in case anyone else is tempted by the idea that you could get 3x for paying taxes with Amex Checkout, no tax provider qualifies for the bonus.

Yes, a tax provider is mentioned on the bonus page (some lack of clarity from Amex there) but not all vendors on the bonus page qualify for the bonus - they just all accept Amex Checkout.

Last edited by josephstern; Apr 15, 2018 at 11:53 am Reason: typo repair
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by josephstern
Well, I fell for the "tip" mentioned in the (now removed) blog post titled:

"How To Earn 3x Points (Or More) For Paying Your Taxes By Credit Card"

I have only myself to blame for this of course.

Just in case anyone else is tempted by the idea that you could get 3x for paying taxes with Amex Checkout, no tax provider qualifies for the bonus.

Yes, a tax provider is mentioned on the bonus page (some lack of clarity from Amex there) but not all vendors on the bonus page qualify for the bonus - they just all accept Amex Checkout.
It is strange that the post went up and that he didn't just make an oops update on it instead of deleting it. Not sure what the logic is there.

Link to that post's cache and a discussion I had with my brother about the post on my forum here: Lucky's Latest Adventure
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:10 pm

Shows where I should be spending my time.

Yeah - I'd feel differently with an "oops" correction and explanation. He could have had a reasonable "we all make mistakes - always double-check us" thing. Integrity is kinda nice.

Speaking of which, it's still really my fault for following blindly. For that lesson, I really didn't pay too dearly.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Shows where I should be spending my time.

Yeah - I'd feel differently with an "oops" correction and explanation. He could have had a reasonable "we all make mistakes - always double-check us" thing. Integrity is kinda nice.

Speaking of which, it's still really my fault for following blindly. For that lesson, I really didn't pay too dearly.
Yup, anyone who has been blogging long enough has been there, done that. We're only human.

You can however potentially earn 5x, as I wrote on my own blog: https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...rd-earn-miles/
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:34 am

The all-suite hotels pricing at regular award chart pricing starting in August is definitely #FakeNews
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
The all-suite hotels pricing at regular award chart pricing starting in August is definitely #FakeNews
Because you don't believe it will actually come to pass?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.