Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Nov 9, 17, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
So starting a thread deserves a pat on the back now-a-days?

"Now that I've decided to check back in" LOL Thank you for gracing us with your presence.
That was quite an edit you just did
JonNYC and CodeAdam10 like this.
Old Nov 9, 17, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt View Post
That was quite an edit you just did
Tried to make it more positive
Old Nov 10, 17, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
So starting a thread deserves a pat on the back now-a-days?
Not really. Wasn't soliciting any. Just stating something about my motives for declining to participate in the forum for a while.

Feel free to be as unfriendly or hostile as you'd like to be, I guess. That's entirely your decision. I was told I obviously wanted to be Ben's boyfriend a while back, so try to come up with something original if you really want to be insulting?
Old Nov 13, 17, 9:10 am
Suspended

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in VALENCIA SPAIN
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Ding Ding Ding! I have been managing marketing budgets as small as 2mio/year and as large as $40 mio/year...how social media or blogging or anything works depends heavily on the product or service you sell and it is something that changes all the time. A good senior marketing leader understands that and constantly tests new channels and optimizes the media budget. And nobody that truly understands anything about marketing makes blanket declarations about what works and what doesn't...if you meet someone who does, run as fast as you can.
Completely agree. And to craigthemif's point, if marketing decisions are being made in the absence of KPI around impressions, conversions, CPL and CAC, etc. etc. then you are just pissing money away. When I talk about marketing gurus I am talking about number crunchers. And when we looked at the metrics (in the travel and leisure space) the bloggers were massively under-performing other social media influencers in nearly every category and that was for both advertising as well as paid/sponsored content.

Anyway, sadly, this issue is way more interesting to talk about than anything Ben has blogged about lately. Which is part of the problem, I suppose.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post

But I do sincerely think someone who's run a business since they were in their teens and has employed people at an age when a lot of peers are just starting to figure stuff out in college is probably going to do just fine. If the current business doesn't work out in a decade there's options; if he sets aside cash at a decent clip he might be able to retire early. Maybe he'll go back into luxury travel agent work. Who knows.
I wrote basically the same sentiment and yet you are still accusing me of bad intent. Remember, when you point a finger at someone you are pointing three back at [email protected]:-)
Old Nov 13, 17, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
FWIW, a major airline told me at World Travel Market last week that Head for Points was their 2nd best performing UK online channel, after Business Traveller.
Old Nov 13, 17, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
FWIW, a major airline told me at World Travel Market last week that Head for Points was their 2nd best performing UK online channel, after Business Traveller.
Congratulations. ^
Old Nov 13, 17, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
I wrote basically the same sentiment and yet you are still accusing me of bad intent.
OK. You have great intent, Mr. Thought Leader. I guess I am colored by past interactions here that seem to be snarky and .sig lines. I don't give much credence to the idea that Team Flyertalk is on some moral high ground compared to Team Blogger.

Blogs and message boards overall are being eaten by Facebook and Google.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 13, 17 at 2:53 pm
Old Nov 13, 17, 8:50 pm
Suspended

OK. You have great intent, Mr. Thought Leader. I guess I am colored by past interactions here that seem to be snarky and .sig lines. I don't give much credence to the idea that Team Flyertalk is on some moral high ground compared to Team Blogger.
That us vs. them notion you have seems to be coloring your perception.

FWIW, the only team I'm on is mine.

Blogs and message boards overall are being eaten by Facebook and Google.
Agree.

And Twitter, Youtube and Snapchat, as I have posted here. Long-form written prose is, for better or for worse, not a very relatively popular medium right now.
Old Nov 13, 17, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FWIW, the only team I'm on is mine.
Hard to tell when someone takes a formal title implying some measure of responsibility (?) for the forum, but OK. Sure.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 13, 17 at 9:23 pm
Old Nov 14, 17, 7:59 am
Suspended

Hard to tell when someone takes a formal title implying some measure of responsibility (?) for the forum, but OK. Sure.
There is nothing formal about the title 'Thought Leader.' It's totally made up and self-assigned. @:-)@:-)@:-)
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Nov 14, 17, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There is nothing formal about the title 'Thought Leader.' It's totally made up and self-assigned. @:-)@:-)@:-)
What about "Ambassador"? Just wonderin'.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 14, 17 at 1:57 pm
Old Nov 14, 17, 3:23 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Well, he is responsible for creating it.
MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum

His "title" was creating a while back as a jab at another self-promoted "thought leader."
Old Nov 14, 17, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA Plat / DL & HH Diamond
What about "Ambassador"? Just wonderin'.
"Ambassador" is a title granted by Flyertalk's owners/managers. It is offered to individuals who have proven a willingness to assist members in specific boards, and have expertise on the subject. It differs from moderators, in that the ambassador may be more akin to a docent.
Old Nov 14, 17, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Moderator2 View Post
"Ambassador" is a title granted by Flyertalk's owners/managers. It is offered to individuals who have proven a willingness to assist members in specific boards, and have expertise on the subject. It differs from moderators, in that the ambassador may be more akin to a docent.
Speaking of moderation.. any thoughts on cleaning out the off-topic comments?
Old Nov 14, 17, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skunker View Post

His "title" was creating a while back as a jab at another self-promoted "thought leader."
Hey, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery! @:-)

Search this Thread