Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Jun 19, 17, 12:37 pm

Yes, he has never once mentioned that:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...crew-policies/
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...qatar-airways/
Old Jun 20, 17, 10:59 am

I'm a pretty big fan of Wendover Productions YouTube Channel. The guy is kind of like Vsauce, where he studies one particular topic in depth for about one month and then produces a video on the topic. He's done several airplane/train/travel episodes. I saw he had a podcast as well and noticed he had interviewed Ben.

Interestingly he claims that his blog never takes comps, and that it's the people who start travel blogging as a hobby with the goal to get free comps. Then goes on to make the claim because he travels on his own dime he gives honest and unbiased reviews unlike many of his counterparts that take comps and then give "flowery reviews". Kind of ironic taking his blog has taken several comps just in this season with one of his writers staying at several hotels in the middle east and not only got his stay comp'd, but seems like all the activities and food included from what I can vaguely recall.

They also talk about tax evasion and his parents house in Florida is referenced.

Parts of the conversation are fairly interesting.

Old Jun 20, 17, 2:29 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
I'm a pretty big fan of Wendover Productions YouTube Channel. The guy is kind of like Vsauce, where he studies one particular topic in depth for about one month and then produces a video on the topic. He's done several airplane/train/travel episodes. I saw he had a podcast as well and noticed he had interviewed Ben.

Interestingly he claims that his blog never takes comps, and that it's the people who start travel blogging as a hobby with the goal to get free comps. Then goes on to make the claim because he travels on his own dime he gives honest and unbiased reviews unlike many of his counterparts that take comps and then give "flowery reviews". Kind of ironic taking his blog has taken several comps just in this season with one of his writers staying at several hotels in the middle east and not only got his stay comp'd, but seems like all the activities and food included from what I can vaguely recall.

They also talk about tax evasion and his parents house in Florida is referenced.

Parts of the conversation are fairly interesting.

Showmakers Ep .4 Ben Schlappig - YouTube
Omg. An HOUR? 57 minutes too long! I bailed after 3.
Old Jun 22, 17, 1:29 pm

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Why is Daniel still a contributor to the blog? I feel like I missed something as to why he's even on in the first place.
Old Jun 30, 17, 3:43 am

Just had a look at Lucky's and Ford's latest Instagram stories. They are both flying back to the US but on different flights..Seems like Lucky was too stingy to buy two AF First (award) tickets, so Ford "had" to fly LH First instead
Old Jul 2, 17, 3:50 am

Programs: *G, oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Bierjunge View Post
Just had a look at Lucky's and Ford's latest Instagram stories. They are both flying back to the US but on different flights..Seems like Lucky was too stingy to buy two AF First (award) tickets, so Ford "had" to fly LH First instead

I really wish Lucky would stick to informative content, rather than attempting to becoming some kind of gay Rick Steves. He's a pretty dull writer as it is (which suits his most useful content very well), but his video persona manages to be even less interesting.
Old Jul 5, 17, 6:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
28 OT posts about monetizing blogging moved here: The points and miles blog business model

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Old Jul 19, 17, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
America For Fair Skies are going after Lucky...

http://fairskies.org/2017/07/may-lov...carrier-fight/

He responds...

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...new-target-me/
Old Jul 20, 17, 3:16 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
My response: Yawn

Originally Posted by davewho?? View Post
Old Jul 20, 17, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/3mm+, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by davewho?? View Post
Of course, he is right. That said, he should have highlighted the myriad tax breaks that US airlines get at the State and Federal level. That alone would invalidate the whole non-sense argument.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ines/71568226/
Old Jul 20, 17, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Is pretty surprising that they think he's important enough to go after. OTOH I guess it's pretty costless for them to do so.
Old Jul 20, 17, 12:09 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf View Post
Is pretty surprising that they think he's important enough to go after. OTOH I guess it's pretty costless for them to do so.
Yeah they are wasting their time publicly arguing with someone who may like to fly on airlines, but lacks any actual experience or expertise about the industry, and more importantly has zero influence on the general public or elected officials.

I suppose it's a low cost chance at someone picking up the argument and running a blurb about it for some minor publicity, but they're really grasping at straws.

I don't really disagree with the gist of Ben's arguments, though he's not the best at articulating them compared to others who have written about the matter.
Old Jul 20, 17, 3:22 pm

I'll bet Gary is just chomping at the bit to get attacked similarly.
Old Jul 20, 17, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
I'll bet Gary is just chomping at the bit to get attacked similarly.
My thoughts exactly!
Old Jul 20, 17, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Yeah they are wasting their time publicly arguing with someone who may like to fly on airlines, but lacks any actual experience or expertise about the industry, and more importantly has zero influence on the general public or elected officials.

I suppose it's a low cost chance at someone picking up the argument and running a blurb about it for some minor publicity, but they're really grasping at straws.

I don't really disagree with the gist of Ben's arguments, though he's not the best at articulating them compared to others who have written about the matter.
He is horrible at articulating anything, including reviews. "Hey, you guys what do you think"? His review of Ulan Bator was awful. He has NO social awareness or cultural awareness, unless the culture can be converted to sign up for CCs. I just had to click on his site when I was over at BA when I noticed he had a review of Ulan Bator. I should have known better. The little voice in my head said, "Don't go there, it is not for you" yet, sadly I read it. The little voice was right.

Search this Thread