Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old May 17, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I think this actually hurts Ben's "brand". When you talk like a robot, look half awake
That's the price you have to pay when you want to live on an airplane.

how Ben doesn't allow him to consume his food until everything is documented, and then spends the whole flight hunched over a laptop for hours writing his articles... The whole luxury jet set relationship appears to be a complete facade.
Well, their is a saying: He who pays the piper, calls the tune.
That's the downside of Ford's freeloading on Ben's lifestyle...
Old May 17, 2017, 10:22 am

Should never undertake something like this without basic broadcast training-voice, appearance, presentation, etc. It would make a huge difference.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by cruisr
Uggghhh. Be prepared for all the suckers getting ccs with th huge minimum spends, not knowing how to MS, not paying off their cc bills in full and complaining that they thought flying around the world is free. Will he mention that AA miles, which he pumps their CC links endlessly, are virtually worthless now due to lack of availability on their own metal for J or F unless you redeem extortion rates. Ford's appearance in the video strikes me as just arm candy.
No no no! Just use dining points and shopping portals. Boom! 8 million frequent flyer miles in your account!
Old May 17, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
No no no! Just use dining points and shopping portals. Boom! 8 million frequent flyer miles in your account!
Yeah, and you will have no problem redeeming 1m miles a year.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Pretty much!
On a positive note...by the time they are in their mid to late 20s, they may have found a non-pop singer to wait on them

Originally Posted by Bierjunge
Not sure what to even say. He sounds like such a pompous guy with a complete lack of perspective in many ways. I actually feel sad watching this in the same way I feel sad for the Kardashians and other reality TV personalities...
Old May 17, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Etihad has no such rules that I am aware of (or if they exist, they are not enforced at all). You are mixing them up with Qatar who try to run their cabin crew like a military boot camp.
No I am not. These rules most certainly exist; you can find them multiple places online. I can't speak as to enforcement beyond the anecdotes that I've read.

I never said that everyone who works for Etihad is poor. The point wasn't even the UAE's economy runs on the backs of foreign workers working under labor conditions that would be illegal in the countries most Flyertalkers live in. The point was that the guy is bragging about ordering lots of food and drink with no intention of consuming. Jesus.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Amazing I can eat my way to traveling for freeeee!
Old May 17, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
The point was that the guy is bragging about ordering lots of food and drink with no intention of consuming. Jesus.
He's reviewing a product. Part of that is to see how customizable the service is.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
He's reviewing a product. Part of that is to see how customizable the service is.
A complete waste. How man of his readers will actually book this based on his review. My guess is zero. He could have just asked how customized it could be and reported that. No need for the waste. Sad.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
No I am not. These rules most certainly exist; you can find them multiple places online. I can't speak as to enforcement beyond the anecdotes that I've read.
I just confirmed with multiple sources at Etihad (including one in a supervisory role who enforces the code of conduct) that neither of the rules exist in the way you have outlined them.

a) There is a requirement that any guests who remain in a company provided accommodation unit beyond 1am must be registered with building security and may not be of the opposite gender. This is in accordance with Abu Dhabi Municipality requirements, not Etihad's internal regulations.

b) There are no restrictions on possession of alcohol in company provided accommodation units by those appropriately licensed to consume, except that anyone may request to be placed in a unit with a housemate who does not consume alcohol if they prefer that.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
On a positive note...by the time they are in their mid to late 20s, they may have found a non-pop singer to wait on them

Not sure what to even say. He sounds like such a pompous guy with a complete lack of perspective in many ways. I actually feel sad watching this in the same way I feel sad for the Kardashians and other reality TV personalities...
It's all very odd. It's basically like you indicated, a guy bragging about all his miles. Then he throws out superficial examples of how he supposedly earns them (without really elaborating on the fact he's lately been paying cash for a lot of trips - or the real ins and outs of some of the mileage earning methods he does mention). Add in some snippets of "luxury lifestyle".

He really should have had some coaching before trying to be featured in a video like this...not a very engaging visual or audio presence that I'd want to sit and watch. Neither am I , but I know enough to stay off camera. While he's not totally off in left field like the Residence videos, it's just...awkward like a fellow blogger was doing a "video interview" with their cell phone.

I guess it's meant to entice viewers and drive traffic to his sites. I'm just having a hard time imagining the typical traveler really being motivated to do so from these videos segments. I think most people might think "Wow that's cool! But I couldn't even figure out how to redeem these miles I do have for a flight to Orlando last year."

And Ford...it makes him appear as either a freeloader or a clueless guy being strung along by Lucky. He may be neither of those but it's the impression I got. I suppose it was meant to provide an up-close personal perspective on the daily life of Ben but seems to have missed the mark.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
A complete waste. How man of his readers will actually book this based on his review. My guess is zero. He could have just asked how customized it could be and reported that. No need for the waste. Sad.
Perhaps a few would try it out. At the end of the day it is entertainment for his readers. He paid ~$7k out of pocket and what exactly was wasted? A glass of champagne and a handful of macaroons? Adam1222's is criticizing him for making employees "jump through hoops".. that some how he is taking advantage of these "poor" workers.

At the end of the day it is just being overly critical IMO.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Time for the regular reminder that there is not a lot of reality in 'reality television.' @:-)
Old May 17, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
But to request excessive things and then not even attempt to consume them? Come now.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Perhaps a few would try it out. At the end of the day it is entertainment for his readers. He paid ~$7k out of pocket and what exactly was wasted? A glass of champagne and a handful of macaroons? Adam1222's is criticizing him for making employees "jump through hoops".. that some how he is taking advantage of these "poor" workers.

At the end of the day it is just being overly critical IMO.
+1.
$7K for the flight plus 2 nights in an Emirates palace suite is money well spent for his brand. And it's less than a quarter of what TPG spent.
Plus it's a business expense, so maybe it's $4K out of pocket.

He clearly had enough champagne, don't see what the big deal about not finishing his 12th glass of the night is. Seems like haters gonna hate at this point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.