Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old May 13, 2017, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I just watched his IG stories as well. As you mentioned he's pointed out some cool features. Although there probably isn't much that hasn't been captured in other reviews of the Residence. Pretty annoying to watch though - not sure if it's the booze but it's like listening to a teenager gush about their crush. Kind of a repetitive style of speaking similar to his blog posts. His obsession with champagne gets old pretty quick. If I were someone simply looking for an informative review of the product I wouldn't bother watching past the first couple of minutes. But maybe his IG followers are mostly friends and fan-boys/girls.

His IG photo post narratives are also kinda teenager-ish..."I can't even!" etc.

Residence is interesting to see though.
I don't think Ben has ever used Instagram stories or Facebook live and was looking to document this milestone in his career and allow interaction. Much like my reference to Brian Kelly... I don't think they really understand that their audience is watching them drunk. They themselves are a brand and I don't think it's the best decision to present themselves in that manner. When Ben and Brian are wasted on an airplane... is that still considered a tax write off and not a vacation?
Old May 14, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I don't think Ben has ever used Instagram stories or Facebook live and was looking to document this milestone in his career and allow interaction. Much like my reference to Brian Kelly... I don't think they really understand that their audience is watching them drunk. They themselves are a brand and I don't think it's the best decision to present themselves in that manner. When Ben and Brian are wasted on an airplane... is that still considered a tax write off and not a vacation?
I missed out on the Brian Kelly drunken video incident but it sounds like it was quite an hoot.

I don't get it, when I'm going to be drinking a lot, the last thing I want is video or photographic recording capabilities! And I sure wouldn't do it in the setting of my business venture. Like you said, doesn't seem like a wise move from a brand perspective. But maybe in this age of the Kardashianization of America it's OK, I don't know.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:46 am

Like you said, doesn't seem like a wise move from a brand perspective.
Considering the guy only drank Diet Coke two years ago I found the heavy drinking and his own references to it very unsettling.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JetAway
Considering the guy only drank Diet Coke two years ago I found the heavy drinking and his own references to it very unsettling.
The failure to ever have any normal socialization to alcohol and instead from his late teens seeing alcohol as a status item to be consumed without cost may have consequences. I remember my first 5 or 10 times I was in a lounge I thought free booze was amazing and something i needed to take advantage for the experience. Now, an alcoholic beverage in a lounge is more of an exception for me than the rule, especially if I'm "working."

I agree that a flight where one is drunk and clearly is taking for personal enjoyment shouldn't be considered a business expense for tax purposes simply because you post about it on your credit card blog.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by jspira
Interesting addition to the wikipedia page:

"It is proposed that this article be deleted because of the following concern:
Not a notable figure, and seemingly caught up on NPOV contributors
"
Being in an article on [EDIT] Rollingstone is notable enough for a wikipedia entry. I've seen far less notable people have their own wiki.

Last edited by YoungSoloTraveler; May 15, 2017 at 7:53 am
Old May 15, 2017, 7:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Kim Kardashian was on the cover of RS which had the OMAAT article.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: *G, oneworld Sapphire
I have to say I'm surprised Ben is the first miles and points person to get a show, rather than TPG. I'm also a bit shocked that Bravo, a network famous for big, loud personalities, would feature someone who's essentially a younger, gayer version of Rick Steves. Much love to Lucky, but he's about as enthralling as a cappuccino at 35,000 feet.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LeaveYourDailyHell
I have to say I'm surprised Ben is the first miles and points person to get a show, rather than TPG. I'm also a bit shocked that Bravo, a network famous for big, loud personalities, would feature someone who's essentially a younger, gayer version of Rick Steves. Much love to Lucky, but he's about as enthralling as a cappuccino at 35,000 feet.
I don't think it's really a "show", just a feature on Bravos new travel blog. Brian doesn't own the rights to The Points Guy name and he's not much without it. Bravo isn't going to enter into business with Bankrate. (Note this recycled garbage article on the blog by former TPG "managing editor " Eric Rosen. http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/best-airport-lounges-in-america-and-how-to-get-in) Lucky is actually a better fit for Bravo these days, as Bravo more and more features morally questionable people whose career is essentially conspicuous consumption on film while imbibing too much booze. See eg RHOA, Vanderpump Rules, Southern Charm.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I don't think it's really a "show", just a feature on Bravos new travel blog. Brian doesn't own the rights to The Points Guy name and he's not much without it. Bravo isn't going to enter into business with Bankrate. (Note this recycled garbage article on the blog by former TPG "managing editor " Eric Rosen. http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/best-ai...-how-to-get-in) Lucky is actually a better fit for Bravo these days, as Bravo more and more features morally questionable people whose career is essentially conspicuous consumption on film while imbibing too much booze. See eg RHOA, Vanderpump Rules, Southern Charm.
Yeah these Bravo videos are not so much "TV shows" as just online videos hosted on their website like YouTube or what have you. But I do see that with this Bravo bit, Ben will be in the rarified air also occupied by such fine productions as:
Bake Amends — See what’s cooking in the world of apology cakes, where people say sorry by whipping up a baked creation … which doesn’t always go according to plan.
I think I've only very rarely watched any of the Bravo channel on TV. Never seems to be much of interest when I scroll through it on the channel guide.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Yeah these Bravo videos are not so much "TV shows" as just online videos hosted on their website like YouTube or what have you.
While I agree with you, note that I read a Business Insider article that indicated that teenagers and early 20 somethings watch YouTube more often than they watch cable TV. They watch Netflix 36% of the time, YouTube videos 26% and cable 25%.

To the next generation of credit card customers, getting a show on a YouTube channel is more exciting than getting a show on Bravo cable TV.

If you want to reach the teens and early 20 somethings and get them to start thinking of credit cards as 'travel aspirational' having Ben on a YouTube channel might be more effective than a show on Cable Bravo.

Its all about who you are marketing to.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:23 am

After watching how he handled the "telecast" of his Residence adventures I think he should stick to writing.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I don't think it's that unrealistic. He didn't really get into how he received the money he was saving. I know a few guys who when they were 15-18 started businesses that would easily enable them to purchase a residence ticket. I know at least one who had a higher income than their parents by 16.

His writing and photos are much better than Lucky and the kid is a lot less annoying.
Seriously what has Ben done in the last 5 years to improve his content? Upgraded to the latest point and shoot and learn how to adjust the contrast in iPhoto? I think he could take a lesson from what other bloggers are doing to improve trip reports. You have people like Sam Chui that is documenting everything on video, Zac is providing some 360 captures, and what is Ben doing? Well he's hosting really awkward Facebook live broadcasts and stumbling around drunk talking like a hyperactive teenager on Instagram videos.

Bottom line:
These new bloggers are making Ben look lazy!
Old May 16, 2017, 12:40 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by JetAway
After watching how he handled the "telecast" of his Residence adventures I think he should stick to writing.
Are those archived anywhere?
Old May 16, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Are those archived anywhere?
I don't believe so. They were Instagram stories that last about 24 hours. If I recall correctly he started to get frantic because he could not find the two gifts Etihad got him, then he opens them to reveal model planes, then shows the photo of Shawn Mendes, and then he started to sound fairly drunk and his speech picked up about twice the normal pace and he pondered what he should do.. if he should sleep or stay up.

Eventually he got to the point where he could no longer consume champagne and talks about the advantage of having your own bathroom, walks to the bathroom, and throws an entire glass of champagne down the drain. Then he mentioned how odd it was that the butler left him a box of tissues.

I think I was expecting something more choreographed. He didn't really seem to know how to maximize the opprotunity for the blog.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I don't believe so. They were Instagram stories that last about 24 hours. If I recall correctly he started to get frantic because he could not find the two gifts Etihad got him, then he opens them to reveal model planes, then shows the photo of Shawn Mendes, and then he started to sound fairly drunk and his speech picked up about twice the normal pace and he pondered what he should do.. if he should sleep or stay up.

Eventually he got to the point where he could no longer consume champagne and talks about the advantage of having your own bathroom, walks to the bathroom, and throws an entire glass of champagne down the drain. Then he mentioned how odd it was that the butler left him a box of tissues.

I think I was expecting something more choreographed. He didn't really seem to know how to maximize the opprotunity for the blog.
Same with me, I figured he would document things in a more or less orderly fashion, using video to enhance the communication with appropriate narrative.

The videos before flight, where he was in the Residence lounge, were sort of the high point (and that's being kind) and it went downhill from there. In the air, there was a lot of pacing around, mumbling the same exclamatory phrases over and over, repeatedly showing champagne bottle/glasses, more babbling which became less and less coherent towards the end.

Basically it was not much different from when my teen daughter and her friends would snapchat their everyday lives - like a trip to the mall, hanging out in the family room, going to a restaurant, etc. Except it was a grown adult in a super expensive airline cabin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.