Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Jul 16, 16, 9:57 pm
  #2281  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORF
Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,611
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
I guess Gary ran out of tin foil hats that day.
I think it'd be pretty weird to be a paranoid libertarian: "You should be able to do anything you want--except you."
lwildernorva is offline  
Old Jul 18, 16, 3:57 pm
  #2282  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SJC/BUR
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Posts: 895
Pretty ugly post from OMAAT today. Takes content from Doctor of Credit, deletes the part about how the fee is lower in branch, and then reposts the rest of it to drive affiliate sign-ups.
stvr is offline  
Old Jul 18, 16, 4:03 pm
  #2283  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: At an airport-on a cruise ship
Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Posts: 4,336
Originally Posted by stvr View Post
Pretty ugly post from OMAAT today. Takes content from Doctor of Credit, deletes the part about how the fee is lower in branch, and then reposts the rest of it to drive affiliate sign-ups.
That's pretty low, even for him. He sold out for the $$$ a long time ago.
cruisr is offline  
Old Jul 20, 16, 11:55 am
  #2284  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Posts: 1,099
As regular readers of this thread know, I'm usually (but not always) a supporter of Ben's blog. This thread also keeps me entertained. Sometimes it's the great posts; oftentimes it's the silly ones. There are a lot of both kinds, fortunately.

Anyway, one of today's blog posts is too funny not to share: "The Increasing Value Of The Citi Executive AAdvantage Card."

Now that didn't take long, did it?

Newcomers here will wonder why that's so funny. Old timers? Well, let me put it this way. I'm still laughing.

(Edit: I'll also point out that some folks take this stuff way, way too seriously . . . .)

Last edited by FallenPlat; Jul 20, 16 at 12:02 pm
FallenPlat is offline  
Old Jul 20, 16, 3:44 pm
  #2285  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: AA EP
Posts: 2,203
Originally Posted by FallenPlat View Post
As regular readers of this thread know, I'm usually (but not always) a supporter of Ben's blog. This thread also keeps me entertained. Sometimes it's the great posts; oftentimes it's the silly ones. There are a lot of both kinds, fortunately.

Anyway, one of today's blog posts is too funny not to share: "The Increasing Value Of The Citi Executive AAdvantage Card."

Now that didn't take long, did it?

Newcomers here will wonder why that's so funny. Old timers? Well, let me put it this way. I'm still laughing.

(Edit: I'll also point out that some folks take this stuff way, way too seriously . . . .)
He seems to be more and more overt and is coming across, to me as a bit desperate. Do you think with chase having dumped him he is significantly lacking in revenue?
AAExecPlatFlier is offline  
Old Jul 20, 16, 7:30 pm
  #2286  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 2,935
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier View Post
He seems to be more and more overt and is coming across, to me as a bit desperate.
Naaaah, it's just your imagination, you hater
gpapadop is offline  
Old Jul 20, 16, 11:58 pm
  #2287  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN**
Posts: 43,539
Let's stay on topic and not discuss individual members.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 16, 12:52 am
  #2288  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: UA Gold, AF, Chase, Accor Silver
Posts: 969
Credit where credit is due — I haven't read OMaaT in a while, but I did enjoy the Longyearbyen post. The fact that they went to a place so far off the map (and one that basically doesn't have any luxury hotels) and for more than a few hours' stopover is a refreshing change.
char777 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 16, 9:13 am
  #2289  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DCA/IAD/WAS
Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Posts: 2,072
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier View Post
He seems to be more and more overt and is coming across, to me as a bit desperate. Do you think with chase having dumped him he is significantly lacking in revenue?
I've been wondering why we don't see any Chase cards anymore. Any (baseless I hope!) speculation on why he was dropped?
iadisgreat is offline  
Old Jul 25, 16, 12:56 pm
  #2290  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SJC/BUR
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Posts: 895
Gary Leff summarizes the terrible changes to Citi Prestige and then dukes it out in the comments. Couldn't help but notice this nugget:

"As far as whether my analysis is someone driven by revenue to me from card applications, I put right up front at the top of the post that there appears to still be a better offer — 50,000 vs 40,000 points — out there which does not give anything to me. So go complain about people who AREN’T pointing that out. Thanks."

Guess who's not pointing it out? OMAAT
stvr is offline  
Old Jul 25, 16, 1:00 pm
  #2291  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 8,460
Originally Posted by stvr View Post
Gary Leff summarizes the terrible changes to Citi Prestige and then dukes it out in the comments. Couldn't help but notice this nugget:

"As far as whether my analysis is someone driven by revenue to me from card applications, I put right up front at the top of the post that there appears to still be a better offer — 50,000 vs 40,000 points — out there which does not give anything to me. So go complain about people who AREN’T pointing that out. Thanks."

Guess who's not pointing it out? OMAAT
Gary makes a valid point.
TMM1982 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 16, 3:46 pm
  #2292  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 8,982
Originally Posted by TMM1982 View Post
Gary makes a valid point.
And, naturally, he has a typo in it.
josephstern is offline  
Old Jul 25, 16, 4:29 pm
  #2293  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 2,935
And still manages to pump:

Prestige 40k link
Citi Executive aff link (three of them!)
Amex Platinum aff 40k link (wow!)
Chase Sapphire Preferred aff link

I guess it is so hard linking to the better non affiliate links for both the Prestige and Amex Platinum cards.

This crap drives me crazy

Last edited by gpapadop; Jul 25, 16 at 4:47 pm
gpapadop is offline  
Old Jul 28, 16, 2:54 pm
  #2294  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Posts: 1,099
One of the things that's gotten debated here -- endlessly -- is whether bloggers like Ben receive special treatment. (That's not counting those who actually call in advance to get special treatment on purpose, e.g., TPG.)

One Mile at a Time is now running a very funny illustration of some of the ins and outs of this phenomenon: "China Eastern Is On To US!"

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...stern-service/

Also a personal note here: among my favorite posts on this blog are the comical "service fail" ones, and the current series on China Eastern does not disappoint. The comments are pretty funny, too.
FallenPlat is offline  
Old Jul 28, 16, 9:30 pm
  #2295  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: AA EXP/3mm+, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 2,604
OMG. The comments in those MU posts...I was laughing out loud hysterically at some of those.
AAExPlat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread