Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Jul 15, 16, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Oh come now. Like TPG? Really?

So here's one difference between the two: One Mile at a Time is only occasionally unreadable; TPG almost always is.

I won't even mention reliability.

Also the train review was pretty decent. (I've never been on that train, but I've taken the trains in virtually every other country in Europe, including lots of ICEs in Germany and a bus to Andorra.)

As for Ben's hotel reviews, their only downside for me is that Ben is just about always an elite at every chain he visits. And he doesn't hit many Hampton Inns. Sadly, that's rarely my experience.

You notice, though, that I carefully don't mention the Saint Petersburg write-up . . . ?
Old Jul 15, 16, 11:19 am

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Cranky called out Ben's lack of actual industry knowledge today:
http://crankyflier.com/2016/07/15/3-...ing-is-normal/

"Delta Is (Not So Secretly) Spying On Qatar Airways In Atlanta Ė One Mile at a Time
Iíve seen several bloggers write about the horrors of Delta placing someone outside the Qatar Airways gate in Atlanta and counting passengers. That is downright laughable. This is a time-honored tradition. Airlines have posted people up outside competitor gates for years to get accurate counts. This isnít being petty. This is just the practice of knowing your enemy as best you can. Iíd be surprised if Delta hadnít done this."

But we all know that Ben is on team AA and team Middle East carrier regardless of facts.
Old Jul 15, 16, 11:33 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post

"Delta Is (Not So Secretly) Spying On Qatar Airways In Atlanta Ė One Mile at a Time
Iíve seen several bloggers write about the horrors of Delta placing someone outside the Qatar Airways gate in Atlanta and counting passengers. That is downright laughable. This is a time-honored tradition. Airlines have posted people up outside competitor gates for years to get accurate counts. This isnít being petty. This is just the practice of knowing your enemy as best you can. Iíd be surprised if Delta hadnít done this."

But we all know that Ben is on team AA and team Middle East carrier regardless of facts.
Yeah, well apparently if you can tell the difference between a 777 and a 767 you are an expert on revenue management, sales, maintenance and balance sheets of all the airlines in the world. Aren't we fortunate we can turn to Ben for this extensive information. Cranky must be a jealous hater LOL.
Old Jul 15, 16, 11:40 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Gary Leff's comment to that Cranky Flier post is even more bizarre and laughable... somehow he's arguing that its creepy because Delta is doing this to mark people for intimidation or possible punishment if they're seen flying Qatar.
Old Jul 15, 16, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Gary Leff's comment to that Cranky Flier post is even more bizarre and laughable... somehow he's arguing that its creepy because Delta is doing this to mark people for intimidation or possible punishment if they're seen flying Qatar.
How do you know Delta isn't?
Old Jul 15, 16, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 View Post
How do you know Delta isn't?
Gary is the one making the rather sensationalist claim - it's on him to have some evidence to back it up, not for others to disprove.
Old Jul 15, 16, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Gary is the one making the rather sensationalist claim - it's on him to have some evidence to back it up, not for others to disprove.
He gave his opinion which can't be wrong until you disprove it.
Old Jul 15, 16, 12:29 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Jeez, paranoid much!?

Interesting that this story H/Ts back to Wander.me: http://blog.wandr.me/2016/07/delta-c...ngers-atlanta/
Old Jul 15, 16, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Jeez, paranoid much!?

Interesting that this story H/Ts back to Wander.me: http://blog.wandr.me/2016/07/delta-c...ngers-atlanta/
So why did Cranky specifically link to and call out Ben over Seth?
Old Jul 15, 16, 12:55 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
So why did Cranky specifically link to and call out Ben over Seth?
1) Sloppiness.

2) Because Ben was all like, 'b!tches be petty,' while Seth provided reasoned, evenhanded commentary.

Or perhaps some combination?
Old Jul 15, 16, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
Mariinsky?
Ben probably thinks a Gergiev is a vodka cocktail served in the Aeroflot lounge.
Old Jul 15, 16, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Brett is an actual industry expert, having worked in the airline industry. Ben and Gary say they are experts when media calls, but in reality they are not industry experts, since they have only seen what PR folks have given them access to.

Ben has an anti-Delta bias and pro-ME carrier bias that shines through his posts. Seth does not.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jul 15, 16 at 10:27 pm
Old Jul 16, 16, 7:51 am

Brett is an actual industry expert, having worked in the airline industry. Ben and Gary say they are experts when media calls, but in reality they are not industry experts, since they have only seen what PR folks have given them access to.

Ben has an anti-Delta bias and pro-ME carrier bias that shines through his posts. Seth does not.
Exactly. Ben and Gary's expertise on running airlines is about on par with the teenage fanboys who post on airliners.net.
Old Jul 16, 16, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
There is no moral equivalency here. The two bloggers, in other words, aren't at all equally misguided. Specifically:

Ben's post, as essentially all of you have accurately pointed out, was a swing and a miss.

Gary's comment? Um, wow. The sharpest comment I can find above is "paranoid," but I would be sorely tempted to go considerably beyond that. Reread the thing! It truly beggars belief.
Old Jul 16, 16, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat View Post
There is no moral equivalency here. The two bloggers, in other words, aren't at all equally misguided. Specifically:

Ben's post, as essentially all of you have accurately pointed out, was a swing and a miss.

Gary's comment? Um, wow. The sharpest comment I can find above is "paranoid," but I would be sorely tempted to go considerably beyond that. Reread the thing! It truly beggars belief.
I guess Gary ran out of tin foil hats that day.

Search this Thread