Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by SansSerif
Now if a blogger posted step by step instructions on how to force your way into the airline's servers, that would be an issue.
Or if hypothetically they found a way to re-use one-time e-certs over and over again....
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Methinks our constantly traveling friend has a hero to aspire to :
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ravel-hackers/
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:15 pm

Ah mistake fares. They generate so much content!

Today airlines are greedy, what with their decades of ridiculous profitability, but Mr. Fly EY private residence via kickstarter. Nah. He's a noble soul.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LR2013
Methinks our constantly traveling friend has a hero to aspire to :
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ravel-hackers/
odd post: "he’s actually a nice guy underneath"
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
odd post: "he’s actually a nice guy underneath"
I caught that too. Likely realizes how much he resembles this JRL "character," physically and travel-wise.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by whlinder
Ah mistake fares. They generate so much content!

Today airlines are greedy, what with their decades of ridiculous profitability, but Mr. Fly EY private residence via kickstarter. Nah. He's a noble soul.
They also generate referral commission from a particular Chinese Visa service provider.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: SQ
His readers have no idea why he magically 'missed' the United F mistake, while he's been all over the AA PEK fares. I wonder what would happen if he came out and told them why he never flies United.
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:45 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
His readers have no idea why he magically 'missed' the United F mistake, while he's been all over the AA PEK fares. I wonder what would happen if he came out and told them why he never flies United.
I don't think he's allowed. @:-)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Just curious.. do bloggers like Ben risk being sued by the airlines when they post about mistake fares? Technically, they are profiting off the mistake by providing step by step details on how to book the fare on a page littered with ads and referral links. I know TPG goes as far as detailing how to complain to the DOT.

Or, why do airlines just not simply ban them from flying their airline? Maybe I have it wrong, but it is my understanding when a mistake fare hits Flyertalk it is not milked nearly as much as when it hits the blogs who then republish the information on every form of social media and then do follow up interviews with print and TV news.
ben has a lifetime ban from UA I believe

but the other point I think you're dead wrong. FT threads on mistake fares go into the 100s of pages. I'm pretty sure the threads get a LOT more traffic from the folks who ACTUALLY participate in the mistake fare deal rather than passive readers on any given blog. remember the FT threads are open to the public so you dont even have to register to read and take full advantage of all details incld pertinent info in the wikis. infact I'd say the thousands of tix that are purchased, most of those users dont even post. besides who can keep up with those mega threads anyways. hell, some of the longtime FT folks who get an early heads up have no qualms buying 4-5-10 tix at a time and dealing with the consequences of actually going thru with the trip later

most noobs on a blog wouldnt even think at that level and might be thinking twice about even one random, unplanned ticket to somewhere just because its a "good deal." besides if you read about it on a blog, in most cases its almost always too late to get in on it.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by bevoinva
Or if hypothetically they found a way to re-use one-time e-certs over and over again....
LOL
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I don't think he's allowed. @:-)
And even if he were allowed, and did say, I have a feeling that while some readers would drop off, a fair percentage of the OMAAT Fan Club group would just rationalize it away.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by 84fiero
And even if he were allowed, and did say, I have a feeling that while some readers would drop off, a fair percentage of the OMAAT Fan Club group would just rationalize it away.
True that and isn't that just a little bit sad.

Any idea why that blog, more so then most, seems to generate such passionate fan boys? It really is pretty funny. I never see, "leave Gary alone" comments on VFTW but if anyone comments negatively on their hero Lucky, the comments either say the commenters are "jealous" or "haters".
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by cruisr
True that and isn't that just a little bit sad.

Any idea why that blog, more so then most, seems to generate such passionate fan boys? It really is pretty funny. I never see, "leave Gary alone" comments on VFTW but if anyone comments negatively on their hero Lucky, the comments either say the commenters are "jealous" or "haters".
I always chalk it up to being a Millennial thing.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Well that is also sad then.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:12 pm

As a millennial, I take offense to that statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.