Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by skunker
Disagree. Cabs from airport are fixed price, there is a board at the airport that displays the price and Uber from the airport is fixed as well. I paid $30 for one person. My uberx back to the airport the next morning was almost the same price. UberX in San Diego is much cheaper.
The secret is don't go to the taxis at the arrivals area. Go to the departures drop off and the cabs there will take you to the city center area for 25.00. Done it dozens of times,
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
From the posts here on the latest "fantastic" review of the Panama WA. all I can say is I am not staying there when I see my attorneys at Mossack-Fonseca again.

Disclosure: I did not read the post because life is too short to read WA trip reports from this dude.

Love is the answer.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Sure, but at least the review itself was well done (and, yes, that's damning with faint praise).

Also I learned something from the discussion here: stay in or near the Old Town and ask Cruisr for a restaurant recommendation.

I'm amazed at how well traveled some of the posters here are.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Sure, but at least the review itself was well done (and, yes, that's damning with faint praise).

Also I learned something from the discussion here: stay in or near the Old Town and ask Cruisr for a restaurant recommendation.

The Hilton is right next to the WA, one street closer to the water, newer, nicer and better reviewed. For the price Ben paid he could have had a decent room at the Hilton with all the diamond perks. Of course saying you stayed at the Waldorf Astoria sounds a lot better than saying you stayed at the Hilton.

I ate at the Hacenida Real a couple blocks away from the WA, the food was good, with the steak being very good.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:24 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

A summary of my time in Panama City:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16681647-post16.html

My review of the Le Meridien:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16669514-post26.html

I apologize in advance for the lack of credit card links.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I apologize in advance for the lack of credit card links.

Rookie
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:01 am

I think it's very helpful to have Ben's reports on whether to turn left or right as one exits the elevator. But it's just hell in those places where the elevators face one another.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

There aren't any major chain properties in or near the Old Town, of course, and the Old Town isnt the best located if one wants to see things other than the Old Town.

Remember last week when people were claiming Ben indeed has an appreciation for Latin American culture?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I think it's very helpful to have Ben's reports on whether to turn left or right as one exits the elevator. But it's just hell in those places where the elevators face one another.
Lol. Well played! ^
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam1222
There aren't any major chain properties in or near the Old Town, of course, and the Old Town isnt the best located if one wants to see things other than the Old Town.

Remember last week when people were claiming Ben indeed has an appreciation for Latin American culture?
True but does every hotel have to be a major chain. Actually if you are a cc pumper it has to be.

The American Trade Hotel is fantastic. It even has a swimming pool which is amazing considering how the real estate is in Casco Viejo. It is actually easier to get to Miraflores Lock from Casco Viejo as you are near the entrance to the hwy at the end of the old town. There is a wonderful Canal Museum in Casco Viejo. Nightlife is much better in the old town then in the downtown area also.

ANd the elevators in the hotel don't face each so it's easy to figure out where to turn . Yeah, Ben is a real culture vulture.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cruisr
True but does every hotel have to be a major chain. Actually if you are a cc pumper it has to be.
This is what I don't understand though. The Citi Prestige with the 4th night free is a pretty easy sell and doesn't require you to stay at a major chain.

Sure he'd have to give up his points earn and "elite benefits" but you would think he could spin it as "what to do if there are no good chain options in town." And it carries tremendous value. Heck I'm using it this summer for Gleneagles in Scotland - so I think he's missing an opportunity there.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
This is what I don't understand though. The Citi Prestige with the 4th night free is a pretty easy sell and doesn't require you to stay at a major chain.

Sure he'd have to give up his points earn and "elite benefits" but you would think he could spin it as "what to do if there are no good chain options in town." And it carries tremendous value. Heck I'm using it this summer for Gleneagles in Scotland - so I think he's missing an opportunity there.
When is the last time he stayed 4 consecutive nights in the same hotel?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:49 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Rookie
It gets worse: I didn't write part of the trip off as a business expense!

Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:20 pm

When is the last time he stayed 4 consecutive nights in the same hotel?
who knows, but he mentions how the benefit has saved him lots of dough when he needs to pimp the Citi card. remember the 2-3 posts on "hey they might remove this benefit" link/link/link ending in "relief, they aren't removing this benefit" link/link/link
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I think it's possible, really, to be a bit more creative than that in complaining about the credit card links -- on a points & miles blog, of all things. See, for example, some of the posts before yours.

If complaining about that sort of thing is truly your bag, there's also lower hanging fruit out there. Today's post on "Which [Card] is Better" might even be worthy of another link count . . . but then you'd have to read the post. And life is too short.

Or you could do something even more radical and just skip the card posts.

Try it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.