Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Am I the only one thinking - its a room at a bloody Sheraton - like how interesting can it be? Are shots of furniture and toilet any different from any other SPG hotel?

Like the room looks like any other cookie cutter western chain hotel room?

What am I missing here? Like I understand EK F reviews may be a bit interesting, but a room at of all things, a Sheraton?
Of course you are not the only one...I am right there with you. But he has to be able to write this stay off for tax purposes, so every last penny he spends is backed by a review, no matter how lame....
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:15 pm

As someone deeply unfamiliar with tax law, I'm confused about all these references to tax writeoffs by OMAAT and others (viz. TPG, who bought Etihad Residence).

Can somebody give a simple answer or speculation: on net, how much $$$ can a blogger save by "writing off" a flight or hotel room?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by davie355
As someone deeply unfamiliar with tax law, I'm confused about all these references to tax writeoffs by OMAAT and others (viz. TPG, who bought Etihad Residence).

Can somebody give a simple answer or speculation: on net, how much $$$ can a blogger save by "writing off" a flight or hotel room?
I'm not an expert but if you make 100k and have tax deductible expenses of 30k then you are only paying taxes on 70k not 100k and there for you are paying less tax by deducting Legit business expenses as your taxable income is now 70k
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
I'm not an expert but if you make 100k and have tax deductible expenses of 30k then you are only paying taxes on 70k not 100k and there for you are paying less tax by deducting Legit business expenses as your taxable income is now 70k
Someone pointed out a while ago that in their opinion the entire trip was not tax deductible. Something about not being able to claim beyond the first night at a hotel for review purposes... Though I'm not sure how that works when you live out of hotels full time and it is your office. Tax deductions potentially could be the reason his boyfriend writes from time to time.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Tax deductions potentially could be the reason his boyfriend writes from time to time.
Replace "could" with "is" and you are 100% correct.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Replace "could" with "is" and you are 100% correct.
You don't think he asked his dad to "give his thoughts" so he could get a tax deduction on a birthday gift do you?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
I imagine all of lucky's fan boys are Perez Hilton clones
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Wearing my CPA hat and making the assumption that he is in the highest federal tax bracket...the answer is roughly close to 50%.

I wonder if Ford draws a salary
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:54 am
Suspended

Profit = Revenue - Expenses

So if a travel blogger makes $1,000,000 but spends $1,000,000 on flights and hotel rooms, they made $0 and pay no taxes.

So it's a worthwhile endeavor.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
You don't think he asked his dad to "give his thoughts" so he could get a tax deduction on a birthday gift do you?
I would hope not and he's also never claimed his dad as an employee. The BF is given a bio and everything on the site, so, yes, I 100% think that the BF writes reviews to make their travels tax deductible.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:28 am

Another Incompetent Response From American Customer Relations

I have to say this is a bit ironic for someone who bragged about milking the airlines out of thousands of dollars in "apology vouchers". I believe he was quoted saying that every time he boarded a plane he looked for something "broken" as if it were a game and exploited it to the limit as if it were a game.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Profit = Revenue - Expenses

So if a travel blogger makes $1,000,000 but spends $1,000,000 on flights and hotel rooms, they made $0 and pay no taxes.

So it's a worthwhile endeavor.
The IRS doesn't usually allow you to deduct T&E at 100%, its more like 50%.

http://www.globaltaxconsult.com/arti...entertainment/

Also businesses have to show that they are aiming to make a profit, burning all your revenue as T&E will raise red flags.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Wearing my CPA hat and making the assumption that he is in the highest federal tax bracket...the answer is roughly close to 50%.

I wonder if Ford draws a salary
Don't think so. He's just a friend with "BENefits".
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EP
Another Incompetent Response From American Customer Relations

I have to say this is a bit ironic for someone who bragged about milking the airlines out of thousands of dollars in "apology vouchers". I believe he was quoted saying that every time he boarded a plane he looked for something "broken" as if it were a game and exploited it to the limit as if it were a game.
Something tells me he purposely filed a complaint with CR so as to get a poor response and ten be able to blog about it. Probably will allow him to write off that flight :-). Anyways, he is know internally in media as "the big whiner" or "one whine at a time," so why he chose this time to go the CR route vs his standard DM whine, I don't know.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Something tells me he purposely filed a complaint with CR so as to get a poor response and ten be able to blog about it. Probably will allow him to write off that flight :-). Anyways, he is know internally in media as "the big whiner" or "one whine at a time," so why he chose this time to go the CR route vs his standard DM whine, I don't know.
Now now, The fan boys will say you are jealous or a hater. All airlines/hotels should be honored by his mere presence and have the Captain welcome him onboard and the GMs of hotels roll out the red carpets..

Have to say I am not surprised that he is thought of that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.