Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who hasn't been to the Maldives???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I the only one who hasn't been to the Maldives???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by tcook052
Indeed and the thought it provoked recently from me was "what was he thinking or was he?" when he wrote about there being little adventure to find in Canada, my home and native land, after visiting only Toronto & Vancouver.

http://mileadventures.com/canadas-fa...the-oil-sands/

Luckily he appears to have come to his senses and actually visited somewhere else beyond our two urban extremes.
Just between us tcook052, we both know lots of travel bloggers don't know what they're talking about... with the exception of TBB.

dh
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Good one, dhammer53, good one

Nothing goes by TBB
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Went to the Maldives earlier this month...

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I've never been, but sent my son and his wife there on their honeymoon. I used AA and UA miles. Half of which were from cc signups from the old Frugal Travel Guy website (when it was owned by Rick).

Even if I were to go to the Maldives, the thought of expensive roundtrip flights or water taxis defeats the fly4free/stay4free mentality. Let's not even discuss the $28 cheeseburger that's brought to you by rude British staff.

Many of my friends wonder why we go to Hawaii (an all day adventure), when they think Puerto Rico or Nassau is just as nice. I ask the same question to all of you, why go to the Maldives when there are so many other affordable choices? ie Hawaii.

Answer... Bloggers go there as a business expense.

Hi Dan. Don and I were lucky enough to go to the Maldives as part of an Abu Dhabi/ Maldives DO. Our coordinators negotiated discounts for our group at Hyatts in Abu Dhabi and the Park Hyatt Maldives.

The Middle East is a good stopping point on a trip to Maldives; as then it is only 4 hours to Male. While the Park Hyatt Maldives was a terrific location, it did require another one or two internal flights and a 30 minute speedboat ride to get to Hadaaha the island where it is located. It also does cost $546 per person roundtrip for these transfers(not $450 or $475 as others have said)

Now here is the positive part--it was an AMAZING experience. Being in the 10 largest atoll in the world with pristine healthy coral was terrific--we were sheltered from the rough Indian ocean and even if you waded into the water anywhere on the beach there was coral and the most beautiful fish and sea creatures. For two of the five nights we had a water villa--the experience of sitting on our deck and seeing millions of stars and looking down on bioluminescent fish was priceless! It was also great to climb down our own ladder to go snorkeling

It is expensive, but with the discounts negotiated for our group, much more affordable than it would ordinarily be. This is a once-in-a lifetime experience that we checked off our list.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by silver springer
Hi Dan. Don and I were lucky enough to go to the Maldives as part of an Abu Dhabi/ Maldives DO. Our coordinators negotiated discounts for our group at Hyatts in Abu Dhabi and the Park Hyatt Maldives.

The Middle East is a good stopping point on a trip to Maldives; as then it is only 4 hours to Male. While the Park Hyatt Maldives was a terrific location, it did require another one or two internal flights and a 30 minute speedboat ride to get to Hadaaha the island where it is located. It also does cost $546 per person roundtrip for these transfers(not $450 or $475 as others have said)

Now here is the positive part--it was an AMAZING experience. Being in the 10 largest atoll in the world with pristine healthy coral was terrific--we were sheltered from the rough Indian ocean and even if you waded into the water anywhere on the beach there was coral and the most beautiful fish and sea creatures. For two of the five nights we had a water villa--the experience of sitting on our deck and seeing millions of stars and looking down on bioluminescent fish was priceless! It was also great to climb down our own ladder to go snorkeling
That does sound lovely.
It is expensive, but with the discounts negotiated for our group, much more affordable than it would ordinarily be. This is a once-in-a lifetime experience that we checked off our list.
Of course, one thing we have all learned from the MegaDos and Maldives blog reports is that one can have the same 'once in a lifetime experience' many times.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by silver springer

I was also on this Do, and agree with you 100% (with the exception of the fact that I did not stay in an overwater villa ). Since my return, I have had a lot of "I'd love to go to the Maldives, but it's sooooo far away" commentary from friends/family/co-workers. My standard response is "But you won't regret making the effort." I also remind them that the Maldives is sinking into the ocean (which I was able to see for myself from seat 2A on Maldivian from Kooddoo to Male), so if you are serious about going, treat it with a sense of urgency, and bump it up on your To Do Queue.

Budget for 3 days to get there, 3 days to get home.......and a week to luxuriate in the unique experience that is the Maldives.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: WN, UA, AA
In addition to how far it is from NA, excessive presence of Russian honneymooners would be a deterent for me... But as a once in a lifetime experience, we'll probably end up there sooner or later...
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

easier to get award flights to MLE, compared to PPT

in terms of private island award stays, id think necker island via VS (and laucala island via LHW) would beat maldives

but conrad and park hyatt maldives do offer good beachfront/overwater (private island) award value regardless

in maldives, i certainly look forward to paying cash for some unique rooms at four seasons and upcoming cheval blanc, and four seasons explorer and banyan tree velaa are also pretty unique offerings (book a cabin on a yacht) but i dont see any reason to go "tomorrow"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 3, 2014 at 8:18 pm
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
easier to get award flights to MLE, compared to PPT

in terms of private island award stays, id think necker island (and laucala island) would beat maldives

in maldives, i certainly look forward to paying cash for some unique rooms at four seasons and upcoming cheval blanc, and four seasons explorer and banyan tree velaa are also pretty unique offerings (book a cabin on a yacht) but i dont see any reason to go "tomorrow"
only your first point is of any relevance to 99.9% of people on FT
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:40 pm

Well...looks like we are going!

It was my wife's first choice for her birthday in May. So we booked IAD-DOH-CMB then CMB-BKK-PEK-IAD.

Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Well...looks like we are going!

It was my wife's first choice for her birthday in May. So we booked IAD-DOH-CMB then CMB-BKK-PEK-IAD.

Enjoy! I will have another trip report after our March/April visit! Fourth trip in as many years, first time with the kids this time...
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Enjoy! I will have another trip report after our March/April visit! Fourth trip in as many years, first time with the kids this time...
Wait! Just remembered the Cathay $1400 business class one-way!!!

We're coming home MLE-HKG-JFK!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:20 pm

yep that is a great fare... and an awesome product.... we just did yvr-jfk and loved it... first time i've done the new j... it really is one that deserves the "as good as other carriers f" hyperbole
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Do they have coconuts in the Maldives?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:14 pm

Well there you go and incite me.... now I have dropped our own MLE-AUH-JFK return in favor of the MLE-HKG-JFK fare!! Even better there is a child discount so "only" $1,150 each for the kids. About $5k all-in for four of us to fly back. It's a lot of $$$s but with the AA miles saved (315k) and Avios earned I will do well out it. Plus this is actually the fastest way home for us which is important with the kids going back to school the day after - we now leave 2 hours later and get home 5 hours earlier ^
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Well there you go and incite me.... now I have dropped our own MLE-AUH-JFK return in favor of the MLE-HKG-JFK fare!! Even better there is a child discount so "only" $1,150 each for the kids. About $5k all-in for four of us to fly back. It's a lot of $$$s but with the AA miles saved (315k) and Avios earned I will do well out it. Plus this is actually the fastest way home for us which is important with the kids going back to school the day after - we now leave 2 hours later and get home 5 hours earlier ^
As someone who made a wedding vow about 2.5 years ago that my wife would never travel in coach so long as we both may live, I freaking LOVE reasonable business class fares. ^

But let's not get started on kids in premium cabins...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.