Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who hasn't been to the Maldives???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I the only one who hasn't been to the Maldives???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
That makes no sense.

You said you had clients who went there, and there is clearly a lot of US-based travel to the Maldives.

So why wouldn't a blogger earning 6-7 figures per year pay for it out of their pocket? Clearly they don't need to, because they can do it for 'free', but it makes no sense that they wouldn't otherwise since most clearly have the cash to do so.

Personally, we went once and found it a bit boring, but that is just us. Not enough shops for my wife.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
That makes no sense.

You said you had clients who went there, and there is clearly a lot of US-based travel to the Maldives.

So why wouldn't a blogger earning 6-7 figures per year pay for it out of their pocket? Clearly they don't need to, because they can do it for 'free', but it makes no sense that they wouldn't otherwise since most clearly have the cash to do so.

Personally, we went once and found it a bit boring, but that is just us. Not enough shops for my wife.
Because people who have accumulated a ton of miles/points feel they're getting some incredible bang for their buck by cashing them in for a trip to the exotic Maldives. But if they had to pay 20k for a trip to the Maldives, while they certainly could, it's unlikely it would be as appealing.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I was talking to a colleague about favorite vacation destinations last week. He mentioned he went to the Maledives last year and except for the water taxi flight and the snorkeling he was bored to death because there was nothing to do.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I was talking to a colleague about favorite vacation destinations last week. He mentioned he went to the Maledives last year and except for the water taxi flight and the snorkeling he was bored to death because there was nothing to do.
But doesn't this go for almost all beach vacations? Personally I love eating, getting hammered, and soaking in the sun/water. Maybe getting a massage at some point. I wouldn't want it for all my vacations but at least one trip a year could be that type without issue.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

maldives is good/best value for paid 'luxury' beachfront accommodations
overwater similarly has more available than bora bora and other places
Four Seasons sells cabins on their catamaran for 3/4 night diving trips

i dont think any diving or resort house reefs are among best in the world
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:13 pm

Sam Haung back at it again traveling by himself for a lonely 3 nights at the Park Hyatt Maldives:

Somehow the guy only spent $20 on food over the course of 4 days. Maybe he has Diamond status and can survive off of a large breakfast and stolen ketchup packets and crackers? Or, did he pull a MMS and bring top ramen?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Drew was proud not have spent a dime at the hotel in Bora Bora, maybe he took a leaf out of that playbook. Or maybe astronaut food.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:12 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Sam Haung back at it again traveling by himself for a lonely 3 nights at the Park Hyatt Maldives:
Oh, man! That just makes me sad!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Oh, man! That just makes me sad!
I don't think he went alone though. He had a guy and a girl in his pool.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
I don't think he went alone though. He had a guy and a girl in his pool.
I'd bet that he met them there. They were probably on their honeymoon.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I'd bet that he met them there. They were probably on their honeymoon.
Yep. That's what I don't do, waste points/miles on luxury I don't need when traveling solo. Of course, I'm not a blogger trying to make a big impression on my readers/viewers. . .
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Yep. That's what I don't do, waste points/miles on luxury I don't need when traveling solo. Of course, I'm not a blogger trying to make a big impression on my readers/viewers. . .
If I had to travel solo on my miles I'd go to places where I could make new friends and explore new cultures. I wouldn't go to an island where everyone else is with their significant other and I had no way of venturing off a tiny island.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:30 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
If I had to travel solo on my miles I'd go to places where I could make new friends and explore new cultures. I wouldn't go to an island where everyone else is with their significant other and I had no way of venturing off a tiny island.
That's exactly what made me sad about the video.

He went to a couples resort alone!
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
For some reason I actually read about his trip. Here's how he categorizes his meals:

Instead of spending a small fortune on food, I would have a huge breakfast, and the rest of the day I would snack on protein and granola bars.

He also made note of the canapés at the Diamond cocktail hour and the "generous complimentary servings of salted peanuts" available at the bar if you want something "more substantial."

Not how I want to spend my vacation.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kokonutz
That's exactly what made me sad about the video.

He went to a couples resort alone!
If he's happy going solo though, who are we to judge? All that matters is if he's having fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.