Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Chase crackdown on affiliates / alleged gaming?

Chase crackdown on affiliates / alleged gaming?

Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
US Bank is my favourite. I have 2 cards with them, both of which I am planning to pay the annual fee and keep. They are also the ones I will fall back on with normal spending once I have finished churning the others and dumped them before the annual fee. The main reason is the anniversary bonuses and in the case of Club Carlson the free award night deal. I'm keeping the Lifemiles Visa as the annual fee is offset by the anniversary miles. Neither of these cards offer affiliate links that I am aware of. They get their customers from the airline/hotel websites and word of mouth. Since they aren't paying a commission to a middleman, they can afford to give the customer a better bonus. The other cards with anniversary bonuses are with banks that have some affiliate links on some products but not on the anniversary cards. Examples are Priority Club Visa and US Mastercard from the 2011 deal.

Not sure if there are other anniversary bonus cards, I only checked the programs I am collecting miles and points in. Affiliate links attract churners, anniversary bonuses attract long-term customers.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I thought it was very revealing that 4 or 5 bank reps gave a presentation at a recent Frequent flyer event, I think it was the Mega Do.
I believe you're referring to one of the panels at the Travel Executive Summit.

That event is much less focused on consumers/end-users than the others in the market.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:50 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Tiki
US Bank is my favourite. Since they aren't paying a commission to a middleman, they can afford to give the customer a better bonus.

Not sure if there are other anniversary bonus cards, I only checked the programs I am collecting miles and points in. Affiliate links attract churners, anniversary bonuses attract long-term customers.
I agree-- think of it in terms of real dollars-- if a 50000 point signup bonus is worth $500, and an affiliate referral is $200-- the bank is $700 into the deal when you are approved and meet your spend requirements. At a 3% return on card spend, you'd have to spend $21,000 just for the bank to break even.

Now, granted, not everybody uses affliliate links, whether blogs, FT, creditcards.com or Amazon.com. Plenty of people respond to targeted marketing, too. So they have to have an average cost to obtain a new customer, overall, and then category break downs. That said, I'm surprised they are not more aggressive on their own web sites to solicit customers. Maybe that's the clue that it is really NEW customers they are after, not simply spreading the wealth to the same customers.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:10 pm

I agree-- think of it in terms of real dollars-- if a 50000 point signup bonus is worth $500, and an affiliate referral is $200-- the bank is $700 into the deal when you are approved and meet your spend requirements. At a 3% return on card spend, you'd have to spend $21,000 just for the bank to break even.

Now, granted, not everybody uses affliliate links, whether blogs, FT, creditcards.com or Amazon.com. Plenty of people respond to targeted marketing, too. So they have to have an average cost to obtain a new customer, overall, and then category break downs. That said, I'm surprised they are not more aggressive on their own web sites to solicit customers. Maybe that's the clue that it is really NEW customers they are after, not simply spreading the wealth to the same customers.
Wait.... 50,000 is worth $500? You do know that these banks are purchasing these points and miles at fairly discounted rate.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Wait.... 50,000 is worth $500? You do know that these banks are purchasing these points and miles at fairly discounted rate.
I would say banks cost to acquire points is between 0.5-0.9 cents. So somewhere around 250-450. Remember, for every x cardmembers, there's going to be the one who maxes out his/her credit limit and pays 19.99% interest, which covers nearly all the costs. You also have to remember the people that don't meet the spend, the people who actually keep the card because they like the bennys and pay the annual fee, etc.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by yerffej201
I would say banks cost to acquire points is between 0.5-0.9 cents. So somewhere around 250-450. Remember, for every x cardmembers, there's going to be the one who maxes out his/her credit limit and pays 19.99% interest, which covers nearly all the costs. You also have to remember the people that don't meet the spend, the people who actually keep the card because they like the bennys and pay the annual fee, etc.
Oh, right. Of course. I forgot to figure "wholesale" rates.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by milesmuncher

The other piece is how many customers are really negative LTV, and is it worth the hassle to "out" them? I could imagine that the pool of people who come in via the points and miles blogs is more "churner-heavy" (and therefore more likely to have negative LTV customers), but if the vast majority are net-positive, why rock the boat?
Bolding mine. The term seems to be disappearing from the blogs.
I'm guessing the banks are putting the pressure on the bloggers to stop encouraging churning behavior. If Chase goes the same route as Citi, they're going to start closing accounts too. Maybe it's time to start spreading out my credit card spend (on legit sales).

d
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I'm guessing the banks are putting the pressure on the bloggers to stop encouraging churning behavior. If Chase goes the same route as Citi, they're going to start closing accounts too. Maybe it's time to start spreading out my credit card spend (on legit sales).

d
^
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:35 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by matthewjems1
^
Welcome to (posting on, anyway!) FlyerTalk!!
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by dhammer53

d
It's kind of a shame how affiliate income is actually controlling the blog content.

Hopefully no one will fall for these tricks
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki
US Bank is my favourite. I have 2 cards with them, both of which I am planning to pay the annual fee and keep. They are also the ones I will fall back on with normal spending once I have finished churning the others and dumped them before the annual fee. The main reason is the anniversary bonuses and in the case of Club Carlson the free award night deal. I'm keeping the Lifemiles Visa as the annual fee is offset by the anniversary miles. Neither of these cards offer affiliate links that I am aware of. They get their customers from the airline/hotel websites and word of mouth. Since they aren't paying a commission to a middleman, they can afford to give the customer a better bonus. The other cards with anniversary bonuses are with banks that have some affiliate links on some products but not on the anniversary cards. Examples are Priority Club Visa and US Mastercard from the 2011 deal.

- Chase Hyatt
- Chase Southwest
- Chase Marriott
- Barclays US Airways
And plenty others
All have affiliate links with annual benefits.
You may want to fact-check before making. assumptions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.