Who is writing at Million Mile Secrets? [merged MMS discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is writing at Million Mile Secrets? [merged MMS discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Again, I don't think anyone (or most) on the thread were suggesting there was anything "wrong". Just some humor, like with the law firm's template ad up-thread or United forgetting to fill in its customer response template.

No offense, but if you think these commercial P&M bloggers are doing it to "help others", you're being naive. It's a business - and there's nothing at all wrong with that. Just as with any other business, people will comment on their product/service.

Can any of us provide 10% of the information they do for free? Sure, lots of people can and do. I hear there's even an internet forum where such information resides and where members discuss and assist one another with all manner of miles, points and travel things. In fact as one example, the CC links available on said forum may often be better than the affiliate links pushed by certain bloggers.
Woah, that last one sounds pretty good. Can you share the link?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Again, I don't think anyone (or most) on the thread were suggesting there was anything "wrong". Just some humor, like with the law firm's template ad up-thread or United forgetting to fill in its customer response template.

No offense, but if you think these commercial P&M bloggers are doing it to "help others", you're being naive. It's a business - and there's nothing at all wrong with that. Just as with any other business, people will comment on their product/service.

Can any of us provide 10% of the information they do for free? Sure, lots of people can and do. I hear there's even an internet forum where such information resides and where members discuss and assist one another with all manner of miles, points and travel things. In fact as one example, the CC links available on said forum may often be better than the affiliate links pushed by certain bloggers.
+1

couldn't have said it better myself...
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
Yes, undoubtedly.

But the bigger issue what is wrong with poking fun at some things like this? This thread has been hilarious.
You have a point re having fun.

But by and large, the undercurrent here and some other threads I have read have an undercurrent of resentment about how some are making money aggregating info available elsewhere for free.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by HMPS
You have a point re having fun.

But by and large, the undercurrent here and some other threads I have read have an undercurrent of resentment about how some are making money aggregating info available elsewhere for free.
I guess I missed or overlooked the snarky comments.

Personally, I think this thread is amusing and harbor no ill will to MMS or Emily. I think that sharing the photos that show they are so smitten with each other is refreshing.

In fact...MMS and his basic tutorials got me started on several "projects". His upbeat tone sure beats nastiness and snarkiness.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I guess I missed or overlooked the snarky comments.

Personally, I think this thread is amusing and harbor no ill will to MMS or Emily. I think that sharing the photos that show they are so smitten with each other is refreshing.

In fact...MMS and his basic tutorials got me started on several "projects". His upbeat tone sure beats nastiness and snarkiness.
+1

I too got in on it three years ago, especially after attending the Chicago Seminar.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
But do remember he is making well over $1m per year and he has ghost writers who write stuff in his style (they do not write all the stuff even when it sounds like they do) without disclosure. Don't think it is a little mom and pop operation. His disclosure is War and Peace length.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
But do remember he is making well over $1m per year and he has ghost writers who write stuff in his style (they do not write all the stuff even when it sounds like they do) without disclosure. Don't think it is a little mom and pop operation. His disclosure is War and Peace length.
Again if so, so what ?
BTW can you back up this 1 M $ statement ? If you are right maybe I can give up my day job !
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:24 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Some friends and I did a quick, back of the napkin calculation on what a blogger could be earning through referral bonuses.

We figured that if every one of MMS's subscribed 16,000 readers (or any other blog) clicked through on one referral linky, and those linkys are worth $200 each, that's 16,000 x $200. $3,200,000.00 And the sobering fact was that between the half dozen or so of us in the conversation, we'd each used MMS links, not once each, but multiple times, and referred numerous folks to the MMS blog as well. We were amazed when we did the math.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
he has ghost writers who write stuff in his style
Pretty sure this is an egregious assault on child labor laws.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Deleted
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

an informed "community member" told me 2 blogs (neither of which was MMS) that made ~$1mm a year

so basically its a portion of the math StartinSanDiego described, although i dont know how the site visitor stats compare between MMS and the 2 i heard.

others using much lower estimates still got pretty high revenue figures - in other posts on FT etc.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
an informed "community member" told me 2 blogs (neither of which was MMS) that made ~$1mm a year

so basically its a portion of the math StartinSanDiego described, although i dont know how the site visitor stats compare between MMS and the 2 i heard.

others using much lower estimates still got pretty high revenue figures - in other posts on FT etc.
Key word here is. " ESTIMATE" . Can either of you show us where you got the $200 per card issued number. If that is correct, all these whining can better be used to create one"s own blog !
Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Can either of you show us where you got the $200 per card issued number.
While it varies by bank and card issued the $200 number is not at all unreasonable for some CC approvals. Others are lower, but $200 happens.

As for getting the exact numbers, those vary by affiliate partner and the specific details are generally covered by an NDA. But enough people have seen the numbers to know what the ballpark is.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
That said 1 million is probably pulled in by very few. Low six figures should be the norm though.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Key word here is "ESTIMATE"
im talking about people who know the exact annual revenue figures.
(i thought this was common knowledge, seems like it is not.)
(i thought knowledge similar to private email lists/forums/etc.)

>

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Originally Posted by sbm12
enough people have seen the numbers to know what the ballpark is
Originally Posted by oliver2002
1 million is probably pulled in by very few. Low six figures should be the norm though.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 10, 2014 at 2:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.