Who is writing at Million Mile Secrets? [merged MMS discussions]

Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Do you know what price he/they got?
If you have to ask... never mind...
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Before the apologies, came that infamous "survey" whether to accept affiliate links lol.

MMS definitely timed it way better than Ingy, no doubt.

I miss the mother in law rule #notreally

For the record: I have not done a Friday interview at MMS!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:11 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by Renes Points
If you have to ask... never mind...
I get that grammar is not your forte. I didn't realize you are weak in the cliche space too.

I am not seeking to buy MMS. Just curious what the sale price was. I took a peek and it wasn't something worthy of being noted in Bankrate's financials that year other than, presumably, being included under the Acquisitions line item.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I get that grammar is not your forte. I didn't realize you are weak in the cliche space too.

I am not seeking to buy MMS. Just curious what the sale price was. I took a peek and it wasn't something worthy of being noted in Bankrate's financials that year other than, presumably, being included under the Acquisitions line item.
This stuff is never going to be disclosed.

But just for giggles I'll put my chips on FTG selling for $8MM, MMS for $20MM, and TPG for $50MM.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
But just for giggles I'll put my chips on FTG selling for $8MM, MMS for $20MM, and TPG for $50MM.
These numbers make you wonder why the other 'Titans' like OMAAT and VFTW never sold at their peak. That said TPG (for sure) and MMS (perhaps) had a plan to monetize/sell the venture from day 1 of their project.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
TPG sold when the site was a lot smaller, $15m is the price that is generally discussed in the industry.

$20m would seem fairly low for MMS. The nearest quoted UK comparator to Bankrate is on 20x EBITDA - I'm sure someone can tell me what the Bankrate MBO deal was done at - so you would want that as a purchase price after factoring in a 25% private company discount. That would imply $1.3m of profits. At an average of $200 commission per card that would only imply 18 applications per day (assuming revenue = profit which in blogworld it pretty much does, even with full time staff as I have).

Or, in reverse:
18 cards per day at $200 commission = $3600
365 days per year = $1.3m
Assume revenue = profit for simplicity
Sell for 15 x earnings = $20m

But 18 apps per day feels low ....
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Raffles
TPG sold when the site was a lot smaller, $15m is the price that is generally discussed in the industry.

$20m would seem fairly low for MMS. The nearest quoted UK comparator to Bankrate is on 20x EBITDA - I'm sure someone can tell me what the Bankrate MBO deal was done at - so you would want that as a purchase price after factoring in a 25% private company discount. That would imply $1.3m of profits. At an average of $200 commission per card that would only imply 18 applications per day (assuming revenue = profit which in blogworld it pretty much does, even with full time staff as I have).

Or, in reverse:

$15MM would be a steal for TPG, definitely sold too early if that's true. Did Brian keep an equity portion of it? Or he must have a very long earn-out period or high salary with bonuses.

Nobody is paying anything near 15x earnings for a US blog that makes all of its money from a few banks that can flip the switch on their whims. That's wayyyyyyyyyy off.

But yes, 18 cards/day is too low for MMS.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
This stuff is never going to be disclosed.
Unless, as in the case of Randy selling FlyerTalk, the transaction ends up in a lawsuit.
oliver2002 and Adam1222 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Or, in reverse:

Note also that a blog like TPG came with a lot of "employees" and some might suggest Bankrate paid too much. Last fall, it had to do layoffs when it was sold. https://theamericangenius.com/busine...s-acquisition/

TPG also "retained a vested ownership interest," at least as of 2014. https://skift.com/2014/12/01/the-blu...ravel-writers/
But if the whole company sold for $1.2 billion last year, it seems unlikely that any one blog was acquired for more than $50m, given how many blogs Bankrate owns, its other sales businesses (including Caring.com, for example), the value added it provides, and the fact that it brings the financial relationships. https://www.housingwire.com/articles...or-124-billion

There's also some useful comparator data here: https://www.doughroller.net/make-mon...llion-or-more/

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 23, 2018 at 10:36 am
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
These numbers make you wonder why the other 'Titans' like OMAAT and VFTW never sold at their peak. That said TPG (for sure) and MMS (perhaps) had a plan to monetize/sell the venture from day 1 of their project.
Being a soldier of just fortune isn’t for everyone. Perhaps some value a bit of fame and/or relationships more highly than others; and perhaps judgment calls about money or expected financial returns/liquidity events aren’t the same for everybody in the commercial miles/points blogosphere.

To miscalculate is to be human, right?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
An email arrives at Head for Points HQ (which is in London, remember):

Subject: Can you add this to headforpoints.com?

Hi there,

I noticed that you linked to moneysavingexpert.com’s 19 cheapest ways to get travel money on this page of your website:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2014/0...ally-low-cost/

I thought you may also want to link to Million Mile Secrets' updated best travel credit cards page, to help your readers narrow their travel credit card search based on how they want to be rewarded for traveling.

Since moneysavingexpert.com's, "19 cheapest ways to get travel money", focuses on making sure you save money when traveling, ours gives important travel credit card tips that can save money during travel emergencies like travel delay or dealing with lost luggage.

Here’s the link to our article:
https://millionmilesecrets.com/revie...ds-for-travel/

Would you consider linking to our review page as an additional resource within your article?

Best,

David Lafferty
Million Mile Secrets
1101 Red Ventures Drive Fort Mill, SC 29707

F*ckwit.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:17 am

Hi there,

I noticed that you linked to moneysavingexpert.coms 19 cheapest ways to get travel money on this page of your website:

I thought you may also want to link to Million Mile Secrets' updated best travel credit cards page, to help your readers narrow their travel credit card search based on how they want to be rewarded for traveling.

Since moneysavingexpert.com's, "19 cheapest ways to get travel money", focuses on making sure you save money when traveling, ours gives important travel credit card tips that can save money during travel emergencies like travel delay or dealing with lost luggage.

Heres the link to our article:

Would you consider linking to our review page as an additional resource within your article?

Best,

David Lafferty
Million Mile Secrets

F*ckwit.
Lol, tell us how you really feel
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Hi there,

I noticed that you linked to moneysavingexpert.coms 19 cheapest ways to get travel money on this page of your website:

Heres the link to our article:

Best,

David Lafferty
Million Mile Secrets

F*ckwit.
I got a similar email from Upgraded Points asking me to add a link to them on my blog.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Researching on the fate of Daraius and Emily I visited MMS after ages today. The site has been wiped clean of any trace that indicates the two ever ran it. Emilys birthing blog entry is gone, the divorce and departure entries of Daraius are gone, as is any reference that either was an author, all their entries are now by MMS. The 'about us' page still sounds like them but its all about 'we the team'. Bankrate and Red Ventures are not mentioned at all... in the fine print a company called 'linkoffers.com' appears, which in turn is a trademark owned by Bankrate. Talk about misleading consumers, or as Red Ventures puts it:

Sometimes we own a brand, connecting consumers with information they need to make better decisions. Sometimes we partner with a brand, helping them better engage customers. Sometimes we build technologies, solving digital challenges that face all of our businesses. In every case, we find and unlock opportunity that’s just not possible anywhere else.
kokonutz and Adam1222 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
https://millionmilesecrets.com/guide...ney-continues/

Seems like Daraius is calling it quits. Surprisingly getting a lot of love from the miles and points community on Twitter even though he and MMS have been thrown a lot of shade by the same community over the years.

Personally I haven't followed the blog or even viewed it in years. So it came as a bit of a surprise to see that they mentioned he still wrote for the blog and helped manage it.
Its been a while since I followed the miles and points blogs and I was wondering what happened to Daraius. Now this page is missing. Does anyone remember the gist of what it said? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.