FTEF gets 501(c)(3) approval!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FTEF gets 501(c)(3) approval!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Could the "other contributions and grants" be those rather expensive "memberships" that were ffered?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Just had a look at FTEF's 2013 990.

Looks like the biggest expense the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation had in 2013 was...travel!

More on travel than on direct program expenses.

http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990...142.1428421926
2015 990 shows that frequent travel was still a major expense of the Frequent Travel Education Foundation ($114,672 worth!)

Xyzzy, 84fiero and cruisr like this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

2015 990 shows that frequent travel was still a major expense of the Frequent Travel Education Foundation ($114,672 worth!)
Don't forget the $126k in hotel charges, too.

Maybe some of that is the cost of hosting conferences (e.g. FTUs) at hotels but this charity comes across much more like a travel boondoggle than a group focused on either education or charity. Always has.

On the plus side, at least there is a line item now for paying the speakers at the events. Though I'm pretty sure most are still not paid.
Xyzzy and cruisr like this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Don't forget the $126k in hotel charges, too.

Maybe some of that is the cost of hosting conferences (e.g. FTUs) at hotels but this charity comes across much more like a travel boondoggle than a group focused on either education or charity. Always has.
Impossible to say given the way it is broken down. But we know in 2013 full program expenses were $25-30k per FTU. Were there 4 FTUs in 2015?

On the plus side, at least there is a line item now for paying the speakers at the events. Though I'm pretty sure most are still not paid.
Perhaps some of that travel cost was comping airfare (FC?) to bring bloggers and others to the FTU to speak?

Certainly fascinating stuff!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Impossible to say given the way it is broken down. But we know in 2013 full program expenses were $25-30k per FTU. Were there 4 FTUs in 2015?

Perhaps some of that travel cost was comping airfare (FC?) to bring bloggers and others to the FTU to speak?

Certainly fascinating stuff!

Very interesting. I can direct them to a few blogs where they can learn how to travel for FREE. Some even have circles and arrows to show how to do it. That should cut down on their travel expenses.
Xyzzy, 84fiero and nsx like this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by cruisr
Very interesting. I can direct them to a few blogs where they can learn how to travel for FREE. Some even have circles and arrows to show how to do it. That should cut down on their travel expenses.

Not just FREE but FREE!!!!!!
kokonutz and Xyzzy like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cruisr
There is indeed a deep irony in an organization dedicated to teaching people how to travel using only points and miles itself spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to travel.

Do as I say, not as I do?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is indeed a deep irony in an organization dedicated to teaching people how to travel using only points and miles itself spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to travel.

Do as I say, not as I do?
Many/most bloggers are also paying cash for flights. That's not a secret. I certainly do. It is way cheaper for me and I generally have a specific schedule to keep to rather than the flexibility to hunt down award seats. I also am traveling 100+ nights a year. That's more than I'd be able to reasonably generate points to cover.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I think it is 3 years since I earned a BA tier point!

i did buy a one way easyJet from London Southend to Paris 18 months ago and I have a one way from Swedish Lapland to Stockholm in late March. That is it though for at least 3 years.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles

i did buy a one way easyJet from London Southend to Paris 18 months ago and I have a one way from Swedish Lapland to Stockholm in late March. That is it though for at least 3 years.
Wait. Come back! You forgot the mic drop!!!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by sbm12
Many/most bloggers are also paying cash for flights. That's not a secret. I certainly do. It is way cheaper for me and I generally have a specific schedule to keep to rather than the flexibility to hunt down award seats. I also am traveling 100+ nights a year. That's more than I'd be able to reasonably generate points to cover.
Well, maybe you paid for your flights. But the FTEF clearly paid quite a substantial sum fr somebody's flights. Based on what I know, I'd agree with your "boondoggle" assessment.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Well, maybe you paid for your flights. But the FTEF clearly paid quite a substantial sum fr somebody's flights. Based on what I know, I'd agree with your "boondoggle" assessment.
Perhaps FTEF reimburses its employees for the equivalent cash cost of a flight if they use their points?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:25 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"

Then how the heck do you use First-Wing and Concorde Room at LHR T5 when you fly intra-Europe? Are you GGL for life?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Then how the heck do you use First-Wing and Concorde Room at LHR T5 when you fly intra-Europe? Are you GGL for life?
I have lots of GGL mates!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:01 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
I have lots of GGL mates!
I'm not impressed. Since we all know there are times that you have to fly alone; or with a companion or two with no status. I'm sort of amazed (shocked) that the #1 miles+points blogger in the UK does NOT get any perks from BA. I'm thinking you probably need a "bit" better of a PR machine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.