Search

The man who travel hacked the world

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:31 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
The man who travel hacked the world

Is this guy the king of the points and miles blogosphere?

http://www.today.com/travel/man-who-...orld-1B9236899
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:57 pm

I feel like he targets a different niche, compared to other miles and points blogs. He seems to appeal more to the personal development and inspiration crowd.

From looking at that mega thread about "What is the most useful frequent flyer blog," his Art of Non-Conformity blog doesn't get mentioned as often as the usual suspects like the Frequent Miler.

Nothing against the guy. Visiting every country in the world is an awesome achievement.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz

He spoke at FTU. He occasionally posts on FT if im not mistaken

He also takes FT info and repackages it on a monthly pay site.... http://travelhacking.org/
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:06 pm

I believe Chris Guillebeau received a bit of a backlash after soliciting the FT community for a service he provided. I think it was around a year ago. You had to pay to have access to his information, which were daily updates about Facebook promos and such that one could sign up and obtain points. Nothing you couldn't get from reading boardingarea headlines.

His books (40-100 page PDFs) can be easily found via a google search. You'll see that most of the stuff in the book about traveling is rather out dated (circa 2009).

With all the negatives put aside, he has one of the more professional looking websites IMO.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There is a charm to newsletters, it gives you a digest of what is happening. This guy sells condensed FT/VFT info mailed on a monthly basis for 100€/year: http://www.first-class-and-more.de/

As someone who spends min 10-20 hours a week on FT&VFT I smile when I read the newsletter, but I see the value to people who have no time to trawl the boards.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:32 am

Bleh, that's not travel hacking.
The article became really dumb as soon as I read this:

Major airline affiliate networks have online tools (here and here) where you can build and book your trip.
I didn't know star was an affiliate network.....

Just like how this guy got by taking advantage of the expedia BRG, LOL.
http://www.today.com/travel/boss-fre...tels-1C8809731
Old May 1, 2013, 7:50 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
That dude Chris? Yeah no respect. Love it how he is still plastering all over THC how you will get the 'latest info' yet he updates it yearly. Don't even get me started on his other fabrications.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
That dude Chris? Yeah no respect. Love it how he is still plastering all over THC how you will get the 'latest info' yet he updates it yearly. Don't even get me started on his other fabrications.
He doesn't target newbies but rather the general public, so it is up to date.
Old May 2, 2013, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
He doesn't target newbies but rather the general public, so it is up to date.
I initially paid for the e-book and a month's worth of the paid service to see what it was about. The service was fantastically irrelevant for me - it was far too US centric.

After a few days it was evident that this information is available publicly without the need for any subscriptions.

A bit more searching found me here on FT.
Old May 2, 2013, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by sinizter
I initially paid for the e-book and a month's worth of the paid service to see what it was about. The service was fantastically irrelevant for me - it was far too US centric.

After a few days it was evident that this information is available publicly without the need for any subscriptions.

Well, the general public doesn't read FT, and good website designs always help.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sinizter

That's sort of how FlyerTalk started: Randy Petersen invited subscribers to his Inside Flyer magazine to continue the conversation here in 1998. And thus a star was born.

I think inside flyer magazine still exists but I have not subscribed since 2000 or so...FlyerTalk made it irrelevant to me.
Old May 4, 2013, 4:20 pm

That's sort of how FlyerTalk started: Randy Petersen invited subscribers to his Inside Flyer magazine to continue the conversation here in 1998. And thus a star was born.

I think inside flyer magazine still exists but I have not subscribed since 2000 or so...FlyerTalk made it irrelevant to me.
I've seem some stuff and it summarizes everything quite well... I'd like a subscription but then I don't feel like paying.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Now giving "Travel Hacking" workshops:
http://www.creativelive.com/courses/...ris-guillebeau
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:58 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
There is a charm to newsletters, it gives you a digest of what is happening. This guy sells condensed FT/VFT info mailed on a monthly basis for 100€/year: http://www.first-class-and-more.de/
As someone who spends min 10-20 hours a week on FT&VFT I smile when I read the newsletter, but I see the value to people who have no time to trawl the boards.
I heard him at FTU DC.
Even if what is doing is easy and just a shadow of what many have done on FT, the ability to see all 193 countries is certainly unique.
I can give better advice on value of travel options, but I have no idea or interest in seeing all parts of the world to check off a list.
But, if we each wanted to be famous or make a living off travel hacking, we all have the info and tools to do so already with FT and just reading the web.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Yesterday on a HKG-JKF Cathay flight I finally got around to reading Chris Guillebeau's $100 Startup book which I had downloaded some time ago (maybe around when I first started this thread).

I was surprised to see that one of his subjects was Gary Leff, who had laid the financials of his award booking company bare for the book.

The two most interesting things from the profile:

1) It said Gary earned about $75k per year doing the award booking (I'm assuming that was 2011?).

and

2) Gary is one of the only people profiled in the book who kept his 'day job' while running a micro-business empire.

Overall the book was pretty interesting and inspiring. I can only imagine how many P&M bloggers were born from reading that book!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.