Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The points and miles blog business model

The points and miles blog business model

Old May 12, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Making money off of selling credit cards is not an inherent part of blogging.
But it is an inherent part of the miles & points blogging. There are not that many long standing blogs that managed to stay alive without selling plastic AND make good money in this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:27 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
It's not that easy. I wouldn't be able to blog without support from BA, whether I write about credit cards or not (I don't).
Can you explain why you feel this way?

It took me about 3 hours to set up my digital nomad blog on wordpress. There were some upfront costs but NBD. When I need something done beyond my technical ability (not very often) I hire someone on fiverr to do it for me.

Is there something Randy does around monetization that you feel you could not do on your own? Or SEO.

Genuinely curious.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
It's an assortment of things:
  • TIme - I have a full-time job that takes up about 60 hours/week and a part-time side hustle doing professional headshot photography, which takes up another 20 hours/week
  • Ease - Randy and his team have always had one clear vision for me: for me to be able to write about what I wanted to write about, when I wanted to write about it
  • Money - I don't make a ton but I make enough that I can write some expenses against it and get a nice new lens or plane ticket a few times a year. I could make much more writing about credit cards but writing about credit cards just isn't very fun and at no point would I ever get close to supplanting my full-time income, so I don't see the point
  • IT - I don't have the patience to learn how to self-host or anything like that, I know it doesn't take long to figure out, I just don't want to do it, I deal with computers enough in my full-time job. The BA team takes care of my site, covers the hosting, and makes sure nothing malicious pops up
  • Theme - The BA team is phenomenal in helping me translate my vision for what I want my site to look like on my page, for example (hope it's ok to post a link) my blog is decently well-known for travel photography and I do a Picture of the Week post every (ok most every) Sunday. I wanted to see if they could create a gallery where they scrape the images from those posts and put them onto a separate page for people to peruse through and link to the posts from there. Took them like three days and I love it
  • SEO - Randy leverages the pageviews of the BA main page to get us exposure to lots of different outlets (Flipboard [yes it's still a thing], Google APIs, etc.)
All in all, the BA team makes it super easy for me to be a blogger. Every time I interact with them/Randy, it's all about what they can do to help me become a better blogger. I'll never be a big blogger but I'm glad to be a big small blogger, no way I could've gotten to where I am now without BoardingArea. I've been on the BA platform since 2014 and can tell you that never once have I been told to write about anything, it's always "what can we do to help you write about what you want to write about?"

Hope that helps, sorry to leave such an ambiguous comment before.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
It's an assortment of things:
  • TIme - I have a full-time job that takes up about 60 hours/week and a part-time side hustle doing professional headshot photography, which takes up another 20 hours/week
  • Ease - Randy and his team have always had one clear vision for me: for me to be able to write about what I wanted to write about, when I wanted to write about it
  • Money - I don't make a ton but I make enough that I can write some expenses against it and get a nice new lens or plane ticket a few times a year. I could make much more writing about credit cards but writing about credit cards just isn't very fun and at no point would I ever get close to supplanting my full-time income, so I don't see the point
  • IT - I don't have the patience to learn how to self-host or anything like that, I know it doesn't take long to figure out, I just don't want to do it, I deal with computers enough in my full-time job. The BA team takes care of my site, covers the hosting, and makes sure nothing malicious pops up
  • Theme - The BA team is phenomenal in helping me translate my vision for what I want my site to look like on my page, for example (hope it's ok to post a link) my blog is decently well-known for travel photography and I do a Picture of the Week post every (ok most every) Sunday. I wanted to see if they could create a gallery where they scrape the images from those posts and put them onto a separate page for people to peruse through and link to the posts from there. Took them like three days and I love it
  • SEO - Randy leverages the pageviews of the BA main page to get us exposure to lots of different outlets (Flipboard [yes it's still a thing], Google APIs, etc.)
All in all, the BA team makes it super easy for me to be a blogger. Every time I interact with them/Randy, it's all about what they can do to help me become a better blogger. I'll never be a big blogger but I'm glad to be a big small blogger, no way I could've gotten to where I am now without BoardingArea. I've been on the BA platform since 2014 and can tell you that never once have I been told to write about anything, it's always "what can we do to help you write about what you want to write about?"

Hope that helps, sorry to leave such an ambiguous comment before.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing.

So so you are not responsible for monetization at all. You just do content and BA inserts native ads, affiliate links, etc?

I find that Monetization and SEO are definitely huge time-sucks. At least as much as writing.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
So, if I understand this correctly, BA is a useful platform for those who blog on the side. That's reasonable. I don't see it as any different than the YouTube Partner program, where they do the same thing, provide a platform, and insert ads, and the creator/writer gets a cut of the revenue.

It's a shame that the ones that blog full time and need to sell credit cards for their main source of income are putting the platform in poor light. Until I read this explanation, every time I saw a <something>.boardingarea.com link, I would immediately think, oh boy, break out the salt, because it's probably a credit card ad masquerading as content.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
"it's all about conversions" - Ingy (founder of Frugal Travel Guy who showed the way to the credit card salesmen and sold way too early)

And the beat goes on...
84fiero likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Being part of a platform takes care of a few infrastructure things like spam and some revenue thru syndicated ad services who would otherwiese not touch you as you have no decent traffic worth their attention. The other side of the coin is that you don't get the full revenue and when things are not performing as they should you have no recourse either. The gang of bloggers that left BArea in the early 2010s to set up their own platform found that out the hard way.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:45 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The gang of bloggers that left BArea in the early 2010s to set up their own platform found that out the hard way.
Are you referring to First2Board?
Old May 14, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by diburning
So, if I understand this correctly, BA is a useful platform for those who blog on the side. That's reasonable. I don't see it as any different than the YouTube Partner program, where they do the same thing, provide a platform, and insert ads, and the creator/writer gets a cut of the revenue.

It's a shame that the ones that blog full time and need to sell credit cards for their main source of income are putting the platform in poor light. Until I read this explanation, every time I saw a <something>.boardingarea.com link, I would immediately think, oh boy, break out the salt, because it's probably a credit card ad masquerading as content.
The majority of the time you would be correct IME. There are some good blogs there, but with the large that BA now hosts, I imagine it would be harder to separate the wheat from the chaff unless you are already following a given blog.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The thing with BA is that you are on their platform and people come to you for a story then click back.

As Randy tweeted these numbers recently I am happy to quote them. God Save The Points has an average dwell time of 49 seconds. Our is over 2 mins 30 secs. That must make a huge difference to revenue generation.

When Facebook suddenly demoted news in feeds, media owners learned the risks in relying on platforms.
84fiero likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Raffles
As Randy tweeted these numbers recently I am happy to quote them. God Save The Points has an average dwell time of 49 seconds. Our is over 2 mins 30 secs. That must make a huge difference to revenue generation.

You mean this one?

Old May 15, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles
The thing with BA is that you are on their platform and people come to you for a story then click back.

When Facebook suddenly demoted news in feeds, media owners learned the risks in relying on platforms.
Plus GSTP doesn't seem to be UK-focused in quite the same manner as your site. GSTP strikes me as having posts with more of a mixture of target audiences - sometimes UK, sometimes US, sometimes universal. The times that I've seen GSTP discuss credit card offers, they have been US-based products. Just my impression anyway. Seems like apples to oranges to compare without drilling down to the UK stats.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Lots of black hat ways to look like the ‘market leader’ so I don’t see that as a KPI.

And GSTP’s bounce rate is harsh.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Lots of black hat ways to look like the ‘market leader’ so I don’t see that as a KPI.

And GSTP’s bounce rate is harsh.
Gilbert writes good content which actually takes longer than 49 seconds to read. I think he might have an issue with bot traffic. We have worked very hard to strip out all bot traffic except for search engine spiders, which kills our page view numbers but hugely increases our dwell time, since a bot stays for 0.00001 seconds, and lowers our bounce rate.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
BA puts in a ton of effort to kill bot traffic also.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.