Reload this Page >

The points and miles blog business model

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The points and miles blog business model

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by cruisr
This space reserved for GPAPADOP's reaction to the above quote.
Lol. Good one!

I am sending my readers here tomorrow. My blog is primarily about entertainment, first and foremost.

Oh, that GIF will shock you!

Happy 4th everyone! And I mean everyone @:-)
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by gpapadop
My blog is primarily about entertainment, first and foremost
Someone told me you are now paying $75 for guest posts on your "blog".

WoW TBB your Amazon link must really be cashing in! ^
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Someone told me you are now paying $75 for guest posts on your "blog".

WoW TBB your Amazon link must really be cashing in! ^
Lol... "somebody" told you. can't admit you read the blog? or do you just really sit around on the fourth of july with your friends talking about George?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I will pay to watch a debate between Ingy and Rene about how to be a "top blogger"!

We can donate it to a charity of their choice if that is going to help conversions
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ingy
How do you imagine a prospective buyer of a BA blog is going to be able to verify the income stream, readership, conversion rate or any analytics of the blog that would compel the potential buyer to pay 6,7 or 8 figures for said blog? I'm not so sure Randy would freely give up that info. Has any blogger indicated they have access to all that info for their blog? They obviously have income info, but I'm not so sure that is enough to compel a buyer to pull the trigger.
I have full access to all analytics data on my site. And I own all of the content. The other BA-affiliated sites are in the same position. Your assumptions on this front are completely false.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:26 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
I have full access to all analytics data on my site. And I own all of the content. The other BA-affiliated sites are in the same position. Your assumptions on this front are completely false.
thank you Seth, but Rene already cleared it for me up thread
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Or more likely, a comfortable laid back retirement
Lots of careers that don't involve deceptive trade practices have laid back retirements. For me, I hope my "laid back" retirement doesn't have me going on lots of websites defending the business practices that got me there.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
That's good to know. I guess you long time guys can't or won't risk a move and possible sale as the revenue share for page views for some of you long time bloggers is too much to risk losing.

And the number of bloggers that still have decent cc links is so small, we may not see a sale for years to come.

You young bucks
I confess to having mad respect for you, Randy, Brian and others who were willing to take the risk of going all-in on your blog or IBB and then cashing out with impeccable timing.

As Randy learned with MilePoint, it's awfully hard to make lighting strike twice, and the blog gravy train's time has passed too.

Those who retain the cc links have had to so dramatically change their business model (to get noobs) that it must feel a heck of a lot different than talking about the hobby they once did for fun. And seeing BA so full of CC ads yesterday left the place with a rank odor of desperation.

So well done you! ^
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
... cashing out with impeccable timing. So well done you! ^
Too early, left so much money on the table, sad!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:56 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Too early, left so much money on the table, sad!
Says the blogger freely admitting he struggles to make the 10 card minimum almost every month with creditcards.com

Thanks Koko. Don't forget Daraius who's timing was also "impeccable" instead of too late for the game.

The big money cc affiliate game is over for now, until the planes have empty seats again
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold

Thanks Koko. Don't forget Daraius who's timing was also "impeccable" instead of too late for the game
Yea money isn't everything. You self annoited "titan" bloggers equate a persons worth by how much money they've earned, which is... kinda sad.

So money isn't everything, especially when it leads to a lifestyle that results in a divorce. I'd rather have my spouse then a few million dollars, but maybe you feel differently
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by freeloader
Yea money isn't everything. You self annoited "titan" bloggers equate a persons worth by how much money they've earned, which is... kinda sad.

So money isn't everything, especially when it leads to a lifestyle that results in a divorce. I'd rather have my spouse then a few million dollars, but maybe you feel differently
Money led to an Ashley Madison lifestyle?
Who knew
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:55 pm

Don't forget Daraius who's timing was also "impeccable" instead of too late for the game.
The big money cc affiliate game is over for now
LOL

And that follow up one about Ashley Madison (one day I will do a multiple quote post, my life goal, woohoo!) oh yeah, impeccable timing indeed...

I love FT ^
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:31 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

Thanks Koko. Don't forget Daraius who's timing was also "impeccable" instead of too late for the game.

The big money cc affiliate game is over for now, until the planes have empty seats again
Sure 'and the rest' as they said in the first season of Gilligan's Island.

As others have said, not sure I'd want his personal life for any amount of dough, though. Getting divorced and outed as a cheater (or wanna-be cheater) in public has gotta suck.

Anyway. You guys did it 'the hard way,' took risk and reaped a big reward before the affiliate bubble burst. Nicely done.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by freeloader

Ben's about to get married, Gary is married, Greg is married and hopefully Brian will find someone special soon. And George has a fine looking family too.

Oddly the divorce rate amongst bloggers seems lower than average ..... perhaps all that travelling for freeeeeee helps keep the partner keen :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.